Selling booze at festivals?

Boatswain

Hi, 

I wanted to see if anyone had any experience or advice for selling booze on a stall at festivals? 

I'm looking to become a vendor and sell mixed drinks - cocktails essentially, but wanted to see if anyone else had ever done similar on here?

Obviously a lot of the events - even Glasto these days - are dominated by only a few big alcohol brands, so is it possible for anyone else to get in? If not, has anyone had any luck on the smaller festival circuits? I'm thinking that's an easier place to start...

Would be interested for some incite and whether other's have had any luck/knowledged around this.

Cheers all

I'd say that there's an awful lot of red tape to go through in order to sell alcohol at a festival. Then you've got to compete far a stall with those not already in the know ie. who may have a proven track record, already 'know' people who can get them a secure place etc. On top of that you'll possibly need to pay for a pitch in advance, have appropriate transport, insurances, stock, licence, permits (as above). Let's face it, if it were that easy to make the amounts of cash these places can make, then we'd all be doing it. 

The above said, don't let me put you off. Nearly everybody has to start small and then grow, so going to the much smaller festivals, may get you a line in. In addition, it would provide you with experience, what to expect in the future etc.

I couldn't find anything specific, but this might help a little;

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/food-vendor-festivals-fairs-14200.html

You maye also want to go on line and look at some trade organisations, who may have further info.

Officially it’s as much paperwork to sell for 5 days as a pub has to do for 1 year. 

Unofficially anyone can sell anything if you don’t get caught. 

My mate sells homebrew cider and lager on the path at Glastonbury and tells everyone who asks he’s legit and is basically another serving point from the nearest bar. Clearly he’s not and he can run quite fast. 

If you are just interested in a bit of pin money then you can take Ian's approach but I wonder whether that's worth it.

If you are interested as a serious business proposition then take it seriously and do it properly - possibly cutting your teeth on some of the smaller festivals.  But again be aware that there are a lot of professionals already out there - both businesses and collectives.

Often larger festivals already have a brewery tie up - for example Wychwood - and quite a few are heavily into real ale - like Green Man, so it's not an easy area to break into.

Edited by grumpyhack

Its a Temporary Event Notice isn't it? Don't need the Personal licence/ Designated Premises Supervisor bit from the 2003 act? Depends on your hours and whether you sell food but the paperwork really isn't that onerous. Somerset Council will have form on their web site.

Problem would be getting a pitch wouldn't it?

Edited by Ted Dansons Wig

True, public licensing and DSP etc are done by the festival but each vendor still has to sign up and show that are confirming to the on-site DSP or their representatives.  Plus weights and measures, food hygiene, challenge 21 (or whatever age), book of refusals, training registers, fire safety, electrical sign off, PAT tests, working at heights, gas, noise at work etc etc etc etc and you’re there!!!

Getting a pitch is easy, you pay for it up front.  I can’t quote you figures but from what my food trading and jewellery trading mates have said over the years, it generally takes around 1/2 of the festival to break even and the rest is profit.  However this can be worse (2/3rds or even 3/4) if the weather is against whatever you are selling.  

One mate does pizzas at 5 big UK summer festivals back to back per year and earns what he needs to live through the winter months.

like Grumpyhack says, do it right or not at all. Treat it as a proper business, and expect it to be hard work. 

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

perhaps not so easy, as the bar concessions sell for absolutely bonkers money.

How much? Had always assumed they only came up once in a blue moon.

12 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

True, public licensing and DSP etc are done by the festival but each vendor still has to sign up and show that are confirming to the on-site DSP or their representatives.  Plus weights and measures, food hygiene, challenge 21 (or whatever age), book of refusals, training registers, fire safety, electrical sign off, PAT tests, working at heights, gas, noise at work etc etc etc etc and you’re there!!!

Getting a pitch is easy, you pay for it up front.  I can’t quote you figures but from what my food trading and jewellery trading mates have said over the years, it generally takes around 1/2 of the festival to break even and the rest is profit.  However this can be worse (2/3rds or even 3/4) if the weather is against whatever you are selling.  

One mate does pizzas at 5 big UK summer festivals back to back per year and earns what he needs to live through the winter months.

like Grumpyhack says, do it right or not at all. Treat it as a proper business, and expect it to be hard work. 

Fair point - me being naive as usual. Lot of the alcohol selling stuff I'm familiar with - but never thought of the temporary pitch hoops you'd have to jump through.

We bought our house off a guy who runs crepe selling stands at outdoor events. He earns a mint - just never gets time to spend it as he has to work 24/7 to keep the business going.

16 minutes ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

I've no idea on exact prices, and anyway it'll vary depending on the size of the festival.

But think tens of thousands of pounds, if not hundreds of thousands.

Think of how much festival beer is - there's at least £1 a pint extra on top of the normal - and that there's (say) ten thousand people there and each person will buy around ten drinks over the weekend, and you can see how it could easily be £100,000.

Ultimately, the price that's charged is related to the profit the festival thinks the bar concession will make.

Edited by eFestivals

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've no idea on exact prices, and anyway it'll vary depending on the size of the festival.

Think of how much festival beer is - there's at least £1 a pint extra on top of the normal - and that there's (say) ten thousand people there and each person will buy around ten drinks over the weekend, and you can see how it could easily be £100,000.

Ultimately, the price that's charged is related to the profit the festival thinks the bar concession will make.

That reminds me of the time Reading tried to offer people a free drink and burger with every tix as the sales were low and the vendor gave Melvin a huge backlash.

51 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Ouch

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:11 PM, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Fair point - me being naive as usual. Lot of the alcohol selling stuff I'm familiar with - but never thought of the temporary pitch hoops you'd have to jump through.

We bought our house off a guy who runs crepe selling stands at outdoor events. He earns a mint - just never gets time to spend it as he has to work 24/7 to keep the business going.

I worked with a bloke who ran enormous rigs at places like Glastonbury, The Highland Games etc. He was, according to the tax man, earning £16K at our place. The reality was that he had a massive pad out in the country, a fleet of cars, including the proverbial Roller, etc etc and was a cash very rich person. He would never sat boo to a goose in the job he did for me. No way did he want to rock the waves. I was the only person, to my knowledge, that he told about this. Nobody else knew about his wealth, but I'd been there and seen his house, his cars etc. Why? Because he flogged me his very first (very small) rig, that had been stored in one of his garages for years. And did I make a success of it like he did? Did I bollocks! I'm far far too stupidly inclined to achieve something like that!