'Female, not British' artist for Sunday legend slot

pie_and_a_pint

I still feel her hits haven’t had quite the cultural staying power that some of Dolly’s and Lionel’s have.

As I mentioned before outside of a handful of the really big ones I’m not familiar with most of the ‘bangers’ people keep mentioning. I’ll put it down to an age thing, as someone who didn’t grow up when she was at her peak it just seems to me like a lot of her stuff isn’t still getting the airtime that many classic artists do.

22 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It feels like her setlist will be less dependant on 2 or 3 big jams than Dolly's was. Back then we had folk complaining that they only knew Jolene and 9 to 5.

Agreed. With Dolly it was the opposite experience of when you put on an artist's Greatest Hits and you release how many of their songs you know. I thought I knew lots of Dolly Parton songs but it turns out I only knew Jolene, 9 to 5, Islands in the Stream and I Will Always Love You. Reading back that set list, there are great swathes of songs I'd be quite unable to hum.

Getting back to Kylie, it probably is an age thing. I've noticed none of the songs from her SAW period are being name checked. Since I was an avid Neighbours fan when she first hit the charts, I know more songs from that seemingly forgotten era than I know by Dolly in total:

I should be so lucky.

Better the devil you know

Got to be certain

Je ne sais pas pourquoi

Especially for You

Hand on Your Heart

And looking at the her singles on Wikipedia, I would probably recognise a couple more if I heard them - but I can hum all the above just from their titles. Being a man of a certain age, they're seared into my memory. And that's just the early songs, obviously I know the newer ones that have been mentioned in the thread.

Do you kids ( those of you under 30) recognise any of these songs? I'm guessing you know I Should Be So Lucky and are aware of Especially For You, but couldn't hum it all. About right?

Edited by stuartbert two hats

On 12/21/2018 at 9:04 AM, GMF said:

This ELO that people are mentioning, is that Jeff Lynne’s ELO, as obviously the “Legendary Sunday Afternoon Slot” is only for solo artists, although that Barry Gibb bloke did play a lot of Bee Gees songs.

Omfg

23 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Exactly right :D

Oh shut up

On 12/22/2018 at 8:28 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

Agreed. With Dolly it was the opposite experience of when you put on an artist's Greatest Hits and you release how many of their songs you know. I thought I knew lots of Dolly Parton songs but it turns out I only knew Jolene, 9 to 5, Islands in the Stream and I Will Always Love You. Reading back that set list, there are great swathes of songs I'd be quite unable to hum.

Getting back to Kylie, it probably is an age thing. I've noticed none of the songs from her SAW period are being name checked. Since I was an avid Neighbours fan when she first hit the charts, I know more songs from that seemingly forgotten era than I know by Dolly in total:

I should be so lucky.

Got to be certain

Je ne sais pas pourquoi

Especially for You

Hand on Your Heart

And looking at the her singles on Wikipedia, I would probably recognise a couple more if I heard them - but I can hum all the above just from their titles. Being a man of a certain age, they're seared into my memory. And that's just the early songs, obviously I know the newer ones that have been mentioned in the thread.

Do you kids ( those of you under 30) recognise any of these songs? I'm guessing you know I Should Be So Lucky and are aware of Especially For You, but couldn't hum it all. About right?

Better The Devil You Know is just as big as I Should Be So Lucky, I could sing them both. Don’t know Especially For You just from the title but I’ve seen it mentioned and may recognise it.

On 12/21/2018 at 10:37 AM, Mouseboy11 said:

I still feel her hits haven’t had quite the cultural staying power that some of Dolly’s and Lionel’s have.

As I mentioned before outside of a handful of the really big ones I’m not familiar with most of the ‘bangers’ people keep mentioning. I’ll put it down to an age thing, as someone who didn’t grow up when she was at her peak it just seems to me like a lot of her stuff isn’t still getting the airtime that many classic artists do.

Her biggest album came out in 2001, and she was on Radio 1 and the like for about the rest of the decade - rather than the oldies stations/channels where you would hear Lionel and Dolly (though Minogue would have had songs playing on there too) - so I don't think it's an age thing.

I should be so lucky.

Got to be certain

Je ne sais pas pourquoi

Especially for You

Hand on Your Heart

Those two and Better the Devil You Know. Others I have no clue.

I should be so lucky.

Got to be certain

Je ne sais pas pourquoi

Especially for You

Hand on Your Heart

Before she was rumoured, only I Should Be So Lucky and Especially For You only. Though since she was nailed on I have given the others a listen or too. 

That being said I'm 29 and her turn of the millennium stuff is etched into my mind, without ever actively listening to it, she had a couple of big albums back then.

Can't Get You Out Of My Head

Love At First Sight

Spinning Around

On A Night Like This

Kids

Come Into My World

In Your Eyes

This is why she's going to get a monster crowd. She's been a huge mainstay in pop music for 30 years, pretty much everyone on site will know half her set list by default, and will probably be half aware of the other. Has the makings of a GOAT legend slot set, upbeat, arguably cheesy songs that everyone will know regardless of age. From all reports on here from those who have seen her recently she has still got a great set of pipes and puts on a hell of a show.

Depending on what's on elsewhere I can see it being a Lionel-esque crowd and an even better atmosphere. If Craig David, who was massive on a similar level to Kylie in the early 00s can pull a gargantuan crowd then Kylie's will be even more massive factoring in her much wider appeal, especially with the older generation.

• Upvote 1

I should be so lucky

Hand on your heart

Je ne sais par pourquoi

Especially for you

+

Confide in Me

+

Can't Get You Out Of My Head

Love At First Sight

Spinning Around

On A Night Like This

Kids

In Your Eyes

Slow

Sunshine

=

a legendary afternoon on the pyramid with a huge crowd. Can’t wait

17 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

No locomotion, no party! 

Dance routine of choice for the stewards!

Hmm. I think they will be doing Cant get you out of my head as that's got an easier on-the-spot dance.  Not that I'm an expert in Kylie dancing and didn't lead a hall full of Germans in The Locomotion as my only talent when I was 16 on a Church youth group trip.