'Female, not British' artist for Sunday legend slot

pie_and_a_pint

2 minutes ago, DJL said:

Does anyone ever want a medley? I’d rather a complete version of one classic and two glaring omissions than three of them in a medley

I didn't mind the Chic one - Nile has lots of good songs, but he did tend to use the same trick quite a lot, so bundling together lots of the same hits that used the same formula wasn't such a bad thing.

But generally, no. Medleys are terrible.

4 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Maybe it's an age thing but apart from Can't Get You Outta My Head, Wow and Spinning Around I'm hard pressed for tunes I know. Apart from the really cheesy stuff like Locomotion. Certainly won't be dropping as many bangers as Lionel did for me.

2 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah same. Looking at her current setlists I only know Can't Get You Out of My Head, Spinning Around and the snippet of Where the Wild Roses grow.

Barry Gibb, Lionel and Dolly all had more songs that I'm familiar with, unless there are a lot of Kylie songs I'll know but not by name.

This is strange cos I'm only like three or four years older than you two and know about half of the Lionel and Gibbo sets and even less of the Dolly set, but I know more Kylie songs than she can fill a setlist with - and that's without being versed in her 80's/90's stuff. And if anything I thought it was an age thing why I know more Kylie than I do the others.

1 hour ago, DJL said:

Does anyone ever want a medley? I’d rather a complete version of one classic and two glaring omissions than three of them in a medley

They absolutely suck Satans arse. Saw Prince in his run at the O2 in London. 'So many hits, so many hits' then proceeds to do some fucking medley with Raspberry Beret muddled into it. I could have cried.

1 hour ago, DJL said:

Only time I can recall it really working was Queen at Live Aid, but that succeeded as was clearly the best way to fill a 15 minute slot.

10 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Only time I can recall it really working was Queen at Live Aid, but that succeeded as was clearly the best way to fill a 15 minute slot.

I remember watching that live. It was miraculous. Not live as in I was there. But in a sitting room in Dublin watching it on the telly with me aunties and parents all sitting round clapping. It was such a memorable moment. Me poor aunties going on about how big a roide Freddy was and how much they fancied him. ?

We all sang along to the AAAAeey Oooooh 

I was about 11 years old. 

Edited by H.M.V
Edited to add age

Just remembered, my dad had the whole live aid concert on VHS. Must have been about ten tapes. Most watched was for obvious reasons Queen and as much as they derided now but U2 became a name that day as well and were launched to stadium status. They nailed it as well that day. So we may as well have binned the rest cos those were always the two everyone wanted to see when they got home from the boozer half cut on a Saturday night. 

My main memory of Live Aid, apart from Queen, was watching Led Zep in a rock club later that night. The whole place singing their drunken heads off to Stairway, glorious. Came as a bit of a shock to see their bit roundly panned by everyone including the band. 

2 hours ago, H.M.V said:

They absolutely suck Satans arse. Saw Prince in his run at the O2 in London. 'So many hits, so many hits' then proceeds to do some fucking medley with Raspberry Beret muddled into it. I could have cried.

The only time I saw Prince was on the Lovesexy tour in 88, and he did exactly that then. Loads of medleys, and we probably only got about 60 seconds of Raspberry Beret, tossed off in the middle of another one.

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

My main memory of Live Aid, apart from Queen, was watching Led Zep in a rock club later that night. The whole place singing their drunken heads off to Stairway, glorious. Came as a bit of a shock to see their bit roundly panned by everyone including the band. 

Was that the one where Phil Collins was supposed to drum but he said it was that bad he didn't want to play and be associated with it ? w*nker.

9 minutes ago, TheNoise said:

Was that the one where Phil Collins was supposed to drum but he said it was that bad he didn't want to play and be associated with it ? w*nker.

Don't think so. Didn't he play the UK and US versions in the same day? Sure he managed to annoy the world twice in the same day.

16 minutes ago, TheNoise said:

From his autobiography:

"I know the wheels are falling off from early on in the set. I can’t hear Robert clearly from where I’m sat, but I can hear enough to know that he’s not on top of his game. Ditto Jimmy. I don’t remember playing Rock And Roll, but obviously I did. But I do remember an awful lot of time where I can hear what Robert decries as ‘knitting’: fancy drumming. And if you can find the footage (the Zeppelin camp have done their best to scrub it from the history books), you can see me miming, playing the air, getting out of the way lest there be a trainwreck. If I’d known it was to be a two-drummer band, I would have removed myself from proceedings long before I got anywhere near Philadelphia.

Onstage I don’t take my eyes off Tony Thompson. I’m glued to him. I’m having to follow – he’s taking the heavy-handed lead and has opted to ignore all my advice. Putting myself in his shoes, he’s probably thinking, “This is the beginning of a new career. John Bonham isn’t around any more. They’re gonna want someone. This could be the start of a Led Zeppelin reunion. And I don’t need this English fuck in my way.”

I’m not judging him, god rest his soul. Thompson was a fantastic drummer. but it was very uncomfortable, and if I could have left that stage, I would have left, halfway through Stairway... if not earlier. But imagine the coverage of that? Walking off during The Second Coming? Who the fuck does Collins think he is? Geldof really would have had something to swear about.

After what seems like an eternity, we finish. I’m thinking, ‘My god, that was awful. The sooner this is over, the better.”

In a shutting stable door after the horse has bolted style, Led Zeppelin won’t let the performance be included on the official Live Aid DVD. Because, of course, they were ashamed of it. And I find that I am usually the one blamed for it. It couldn’t possibly be the holy Led Zep who were at fault. It was that geezer who came over on Concorde who wasn’t rehearsed. He was the culprit. That show-off."

To be fair to Page/Plant, they've always admitted they were under-rehearsed for this, and the later Atlantic Records celebration. Plant also went on to use Collins on his first solo albums, so don't know what happened there.

Ricky Gervais mentioned him when talking about the then forthcoming Live 8; 'I’ve just heard Bob Geldof has put Phil Collins on a jet to Philadelphia. There’s nothing going on there, we just don’t want the c*nt around this year’ 

Edited by henry bear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

The Magic Tour could have been so much better when you think what they could have played instead of Tutti Frutti et al. 

That whole back catalogue to chose from and they treated us to Baby I Don't Care, Hello Mary Lou and Tutti Frutti. Unfathomable. 

23 minutes ago, TheNoise said:

Apparently not.

But then apparently yes reading @henry bear's post.

Edited by Gnomicide

From Rolling Stone...

Unfortunately, the group failed to live up to the hopes of their diehard fans. "It was horrendous," Robert Plant told Rolling Stone in 1988. "Emotionally, I was eating every word that I had uttered. And I was hoarse. I'd done three gigs on the trot before I got to Live Aid. We rehearsed in the afternoon, and by the time I got onstage, my voice was long gone." 

Making matters worse, Jimmy Page was handed a guitar right before walking onstage that was out of tune. The monitors were also malfunctioning, meaning the musicians could barely hear themselves. "My main memories, really, were of total panic," Jimmy Page said years later. "John Paul Jones arrived virtually the same day as the show and we had about an hour's rehearsal before we did it. And that sounds like a bit of a kamikaze stunt, really, when you think of how well everyone else was rehearsed." 

Drum duties were handled by Chic's Tony Thompson and Phil Collins, who had just flown across the Atlantic on the Concorde after playing Live Aid at Wembley Stadium. It didn't give him much time to learn the material. 

They played for 20 minutes, dusting off "Rock and Roll," "Whole Lotta Love" and "Stairway to Heaven." Most people were so overjoyed to see them again that they didn't even notice the problems. And watching the footage all these years later, it's clear they weren't quite as bad as legend suggests. 

1 minute ago, TheNoise said:

I could have sworn I'd seen somewhere that PC said he'd pretended to play, it would have been on Sky Arts or Reddit, I'll try to find it. Is malaka asterisked ?

Yep, that's what is says in Henry Bear's post. I've never heard that before.

21 minutes ago, henry bear said:

From his autobiography:

"I know the wheels are falling off from early on in the set. I can’t hear Robert clearly from where I’m sat, but I can hear enough to know that he’s not on top of his game. Ditto Jimmy. I don’t remember playing Rock And Roll, but obviously I did. But I do remember an awful lot of time where I can hear what Robert decries as ‘knitting’: fancy drumming. And if you can find the footage (the Zeppelin camp have done their best to scrub it from the history books), you can see me miming, playing the air, getting out of the way lest there be a trainwreck. If I’d known it was to be a two-drummer band, I would have removed myself from proceedings long before I got anywhere near Philadelphia.

Onstage I don’t take my eyes off Tony Thompson. I’m glued to him. I’m having to follow – he’s taking the heavy-handed lead and has opted to ignore all my advice. Putting myself in his shoes, he’s probably thinking, “This is the beginning of a new career. John Bonham isn’t around any more. They’re gonna want someone. This could be the start of a Led Zeppelin reunion. And I don’t need this English fuck in my way.”

I’m not judging him, god rest his soul. Thompson was a fantastic drummer. but it was very uncomfortable, and if I could have left that stage, I would have left, halfway through Stairway... if not earlier. But imagine the coverage of that? Walking off during The Second Coming? Who the fuck does Collins think he is? Geldof really would have had something to swear about.

After what seems like an eternity, we finish. I’m thinking, ‘My god, that was awful. The sooner this is over, the better.”

In a shutting stable door after the horse has bolted style, Led Zeppelin won’t let the performance be included on the official Live Aid DVD. Because, of course, they were ashamed of it. And I find that I am usually the one blamed for it. It couldn’t possibly be the holy Led Zep who were at fault. It was that geezer who came over on Concorde who wasn’t rehearsed. He was the culprit. That show-off."

To be fair to Page/Plant, they've always admitted they were under-rehearsed for this, and the later Atlantic Records celebration. Plant also went on to use Collins on his first solo albums, so don't know what happened there.

Ricky Gervais mentioned him when talking about the then forthcoming Live 8; 'I’ve just heard Bob Geldof has put Phil Collins on a jet to Philadelphia. There’s nothing going on there, we just don’t want the c*nt around this year’ 

" I don't blame any of them, but it was totally their fault"