'Female, not British' artist for Sunday legend slot

pie_and_a_pint

9 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Anyone fancy a side-bet on Bette Midler....?

She's certainly a legend, she's got some tunes, and a bit of comedy would be a different angle....

It's prob Diana Ross though....

No. If Burt Bacharach doesn't get the legend slot, then Bette Midler is certainly not a big enough star. An afternoon slot on the Pyramid, sure, but not the big one.

EDIT: and they certainly wouldn't have settled for such a b-list star so far ahead of the festival. If someone like her ever did it, it would be because they were scrambling at the last minute.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

No. If Burt Bacharach doesn't get the legend slot, then Bette Midler is certainly not a big enough star. An afternoon slot on the Pyramid, sure, but not the big one.

To be fair, as I understand it Burt was offered to the festival really late on after everyone else had been booked, and was only available on the Saturday due to his other tour dates. So I don't think we can use him as a benchmark in this case as his placement was a case of what was available rather than anything else. Much like John Fogerty a few years before should've and probably would've been several places higher on the bill if they'd known they had him from the start.

1 hour ago, incident said:

To be fair, as I understand it Burt was offered to the festival really late on after everyone else had been booked, and was only available on the Saturday due to his other tour dates. So I don't think we can use him as a benchmark in this case as his placement was a case of what was available rather than anything else. Much like John Fogerty a few years before should've and probably would've been several places higher on the bill if they'd known they had him from the start.

Fair enough. I still think Bette Midler would be an unusually weak 'Legend' booking.

43 minutes ago, FatAmmy said:

What about Janet Jackson? She was on the top line of a few American festivals this year (Although I heard they didn't sell too well)

I am not surprised they didn’t sell all that well. I remember reading US forums when she was announced and they were saying she has had poor selling tours for years.

Looking at her discography, she was a fair bit bigger over there. I could imagine her being given the slot for name recognition but I don’t think she has timeless tunes for it to be a success - probably better for a teatime slot on one of the other days.

22 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

Tina Fucking Turner

I am hoping and preying 

Funny enough Mrs Q mentioned her over the weekend.  Apparently there's a musical out at the moment, but is she still doing any live gigs?  Haven't seen anything of her for years 

That 2014 gig...

A Multi-Diva Performance!
This is much more than a Tina Turner show.  Just like Tina herself did in the past, Luisa includes songs from her favorite Divas such a Shania Twain, Etta James, Lady Gaga, Amy Winehouse, Donna Summer and more.  Its like a multi diva show in the spirit of Tina Turner.

326924-250.gif

• Upvote 1