'Female, not British' artist for Sunday legend slot

pie_and_a_pint

45 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's big and serious enough. It's often the highlight of the weekend.

Well yes but the best sets are the ones where the acts don't take the set too seriously and embrace it. Dolly and Lionel both approached it with a sense of fun and self-awareness and nailed it. ELO were a lot more po faced and died on their arses.

I imagine Kylie will be a lot closer to the former.

She'll get a huge crowd, she's been a permanent fixture in pop music for anyone in their 20s or over. I imagine for the majority of punters she fits perfectly into the 'good fun at a festival, wouldn't pay for their own gig' category. She may not be a rarity in terms of playing in the UK but I doubt that many Glasto goers have paid to see her before, yet the vast majority would happily see a Legends set from her. 

7 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

She'll get a huge crowd, she's been a permanent fixture in pop music for anyone in their 20s or over. I imagine for the majority of punters she fits perfectly into the 'good fun at a festival, wouldn't pay for their own gig' category. She may not be a rarity in terms of playing in the UK but I doubt that many Glasto goers have paid to see her before, yet the vast majority would happily see a Legends set from her. 

My mates are in the minority clearly... of the 6 of us, 4 have seen her before. 1 has seen her about a dozen times. She is very excited by the news. I haven't & fall into the above category

Personally I think it's great news about Kylie. 

Lazying about in the sun dancing and singing after 4 days and nights of utter mayhem...what's not to like!? 

I've never seen her or would pay to see her but I think it'll be a great fit on Sunday afternoon. There's no way she'll take it too serious and will have enough singalong tunes to please what will surely be one of the biggest crowds of the weekend. 

1 minute ago, dccool said:

Lazying about in the sun

That's the spirit!

Although I think it'll be equally good if we're all dirty and aching all over from 4 days and nights in the sludge!

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

He can't believe that Kylie is old enough to play the legend slot.

Well not quite but thought more headliner than Sunday afternoon slot. Either way I think she do a good show. Not my cup of tea but watching the crowd would be great 

8 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I do wonder if she'll get the crowd of some other legends. There isnt the novelty factor of other.

I dont mean they were novelty acts. I mean Kylie will have been seen before by a lot of the crowd & isnt a hetitage act in the same way Dolly for example is.

Ill be there & Im sure 60 thousand others will be too. Dolly got many more. I didnt watch Lionel, I was mooching about, but I think he did too from memory of seeing it on iplayer.

not sure I could disagree more with this post.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

She is a legend and will appeal to all ages with tunes that have a wide appeal. Half decent weather and the young kids will love it. She will attract a massive crowd. 

As mentioned elsewhere she’s culturally ubiquitous, 99% of punters will know who she is and be able to name at least one of her tunes.

I think this is a really good booking and there have been some really good spot on posts as to why!

Re the legends slot itself - has it been an official thing for over 20 years? its only really clicked with me for the last few years as a specific identified slot for artists of a certain standing? 

3 hours ago, ClementsMike said:

ELO also had to play in pissing down rain after a bloody tough few days of pissing down, to be fair .

Yeah, but if Kylie has to play in the same conditions, you can bet your life the crowd will still go mental. I’m not a mega Kylie fan but she’s got some tracks that will bring that Sunday afternoon party vibe rain or shine... when everyone is close to death! 

And there will be the largest number of hot pants wearing people you’ve ever seen at the Pyramid. EVER. 

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

As mentioned elsewhere she’s culturally ubiquitous, 99% of punters will know who she is and be able to name at least one of her tunes.

Surely that’s 100% of punters. I don’t know how you could have missed her,  if you’ve been remotely interested in music over the last 3/4 decades. 

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

They weren’t the right fit for that slot. Anywhere else on the lineup fine, but they weren’t the Sunday afternoon funtime act we needed.

Funnily enough, I got dragged along as wasn’t keen. “I only know one of their songs!” (Mr Blue Sky) I said. Then I proceeded to sing along to EVERY one in their set. Friend accused me of being their biggest secret fan ? I quite enjoyed it TBH, but then my expectations were pretty low.

Speaking anecdotally, in our group she's garnered much more positive attention than the legend acts of the last few years which the majority of us have given a miss. Probably something to do with CalGon's point earlier on Kylie being of 'our time' (our particular demographic I mean).

She's no longer headliner material but she's still a massive deal. I think she'll get the biggest crowd of the weekend (Macca included). 

8 hours ago, HeyPorter said:

Having hits in four different decades is enough to justify a legend spot. It’ll be an absolute blast and reckon the sun will be blazing for her. 

On that logic, Cliff Richard should be booked.

I'm sure it'll be a massive crowd and like the seasoned pro she is, will deliver a great set. But I'll be elsewhere. Always find her a bit kitsch to be honest..... soundtrack to a group women having a night at Gala Bingo. Nowt wrong with that of course, the Legend Slot is very much the 'Radio 2 slot' of the weekend but not my cup of tea.

Confide In Me was a cracker though.

On 11/25/2018 at 11:22 AM, Mouseboy11 said:

Maybe it's an age thing but apart from Can't Get You Outta My Head, Wow and Spinning Around I'm hard pressed for tunes I know. Apart from the really cheesy stuff like Locomotion. Certainly won't be dropping as many bangers as Lionel did for me.

On 11/25/2018 at 12:36 PM, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah same. Looking at her current setlists I only know Can't Get You Out of My Head, Spinning Around and the snippet of Where the Wild Roses grow.

Barry Gibb, Lionel and Dolly all had more songs that I'm familiar with, unless there are a lot of Kylie songs I'll know but not by name.

:ninja: Kylie's videos > Kylie's Songs

Spinning Around, CGYOOMY - iconic videos's but bang average pop songs.