'Female, not British' artist for Sunday legend slot

pie_and_a_pint

20 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I think she'd be better as an Other stage opener on the Friday.

11 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Blondie played in 2014 - I think early on the other stage so don't think she/they would go into the legends/teatime slot from there.

Indeed, Other Stage opener in 2014, and they were great - could easily be playing mid-afternoon on Pyramid

2 minutes ago, billum said:

Indeed, Other Stage opener in 2014, and they were great - could easily be playing mid-afternoon on Pyramid

OK.  I thought most legends were pretty new to Glastonbury (or at least haven't played for a while) - sort of more "wow" than having appeared a few years back on another stage?  But I'm probably wrong.

4 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

OK.  I thought most legends were pretty new to Glastonbury (or at least haven't played for a while) - sort of more "wow" than having appeared a few years back on another stage?  But I'm probably wrong.

I'm not sure they'd play the Legends slot anytime soon tbh, they're still producing new music (I know that wouldn't rule them out completely) but I think they're still promoting themselves as a contemporary creative band. I was more thinking of the 'Squeeze' / Jools Holland type slot after lunch on Friday/Saturday maybe

3 minutes ago, Woffy said:

I'm more than happy to explain to them why their Bond theme is utter dog plop, Quarkles.

First rugby, now this.  You make it harder and harder to like you dude.

OK so it was ridiculous bombastic 80s nonsense, but then so was View to a Kill as a film.  And if a theme should reflect the movie it's for, it was bang on!

Amusingly https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/james-bond-movie-theme-songs-ranked-worst-to-best

I know who I'd rather watch.  And that's not even in a post-modern ironic way. Cheesy 80s polished nonsense or not, I'd be all over a bit of Ordinary World after a cider or two

EDIT: yes, OW was a 90s tune. The principle stands.

Edited by Quark

16 minutes ago, Quark said:

First rugby, now this.  You make it harder and harder to like you dude.

OK so it was ridiculous bombastic 80s nonsense, but then so was View to a Kill as a film.  And if a theme should reflect the movie it's for, it was bang on!

Amusingly https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/james-bond-movie-theme-songs-ranked-worst-to-best

?

Ah. Now I have no particular beef with OW, btw. 

4 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Blondie played in 2014 - I think early on the other stage so don't think she/they would go into the legends/teatime slot from there.

4 hours ago, billum said:

Blondie played mid-afternoon on the Pyramid in '99 in the sunshine (I think). Good 'legend-slot' style singalong.

Also, fact fans, Debbie Harry is older than Dolly Parton ....... (and that takes a bit of getting used to for us old men of a certain age).

7 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

There was one year he cancelled and someone else stepped in ..... but thinking about it again it might have been 2000? I'm sure David Gray stepped in. I remember going from seeing one Sugababa in the JP over to the Pyramid to see the end of the other I'm sure, that was 03? Blurs into one.

all while the real legends of the Sunday, Yes, were playing the OneWorld Stage (renamed for one year, rumour has it, because Yes didn't want to play ing on a 'Jazz'-labelled venue)

5 hours ago, GMF said:

Throwing a curve ball into the legends debate, would Blondie count as “female, but not British”, i know they are a band, but Debbie is the “face” of the band. They have three dates in March in the Caribbean, nothing after that, but assume they won’t rehearse fo just three dates

I think they have the back catalogue and would get a good crowd, they would work well for the TV audience. 

Did this not activate the @stuartbert two hats Klaxon?

8 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

No i don't think you're wrong.  Bands like madness, squeeze or the pretenders have all played recently so surely can't be considered for that spot.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

And I've been banging the drum for the Quechua tent tonight too!

I’ve never taken issue with that...have I?

Anyhoo. So we can all agree it’s Kylie then?

I hope so.

It’ll be rammed and i’ll be elsewhere, but have zero issues with taking TLS / SATS.