'Female, not British' artist for Sunday legend slot

pie_and_a_pint

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Looking at it, the stadium tour was 2010, so arguably wasn't recently - but still a few years after her spell as flavour of the month.

Sub would make the most sense in terms of where she is, but the question is would she want to do it when she could easily go talk to BST about a headline slot and ask for 5 times as much money.

The money aspect is always a good point when it comes to Glastonbury, but we're agreed she's not playing the legend slot any day soon?

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The money aspect is always a good point when it comes to Glastonbury, but we're agreed she's not playing the legend slot any day soon? 

Of course she's not, at least not in the next 15 years. Hell, she's (admittedly only slightly) younger than I am so nobody is allowed to talk about her in those terms.

6 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

If it is Kylie, will this make her the youngest legend slot yet? 

Kate Bush has an Irish mother... ?

Probably by 20 years at least!  Who was the next youngest?  Off the top of my head -  Barry Gibb, Lionel Richie, Tom Jones, Dolly Parton, Ray Davis, Paul Simon, ELO - have all been well older than me whereas Kylie would be the first one to be younger.

2 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Probably by 20 years at least!  Who was the next youngest?  Off the top of my head -  Barry Gibb, Lionel Richie, Tom Jones, Dolly Parton, Ray Davis, Paul Simon, ELO - have all been well older than me whereas Kylie would be the first one to be younger.

I think she will be, but only by less than  a year. Tom Jones did it in 1992 - he had recently celebrated his 52nd birthday at the time. Kylie will be 51 by the time of  the next festival. Arguably it wasn't the proper "legend slot" at the time, but it was a Sunday afternoon, high profile slot given to an artist whose biggest hits were several decades earlier. I say it counts.

The thing you're missing in that BeerQueen is that you keep getting older! All these other legends were younger than they are now when they first did it 

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

I think she will be, but only by less than  a year. Tom Jones did it in 1992 - he had recently celebrated his 52nd birthday at the time. Kylie will be 51 by the time of  the next festival. Arguably it wasn't the proper "legend slot" at the time, but it was a Sunday afternoon, high profile slot given to an artist whose biggest hits were several decades earlier. I say it counts.

The thing you're missing in that BeerQueen is that you keep getting older! All these other legends were younger than they are now when they first did it 

You're right - I can't believe that Tom Jones was ever younger than I am now!  And certainly not when he did the legends slot (yes I agree it was that even if it wasn't called it).  It's quite depressing really..... Kylie would still be the first legend younger than me. But again, I realise that it is because I am fucking old now!

5 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

You're right - I can't believe that Tom Jones was ever younger than I am now!  And certainly not when he did the legends slot (yes I agree it was that even if it wasn't called it).  It's quite depressing really..... Kylie would still be the first legend younger than me. But again, I realise that it is because I am fucking old now!

It's still not officially called the legend slot! From looking at the Wikipedia, it's not clear when the slot became a reliable fixture, maybe not until 2004 - the times are hard to judge from the lineups on there.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's still not officially called the legend slot! From looking at the Wikipedia, it's not clear when the slot became a reliable fixture, maybe not until 2004 - the times are hard to judge from the lineups on there.

No I realise that there isn't officially a slot called the legends slot but as you say it is established now.  Perfect for the Sunday afternoon.  

9 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

9 hours ago, incident said:

Depends when you start counting the legends slot as having started from.. Tom Jones would have been 52 in 1992.

Of the festivals I’ve been to I don’t think there’s been a legend who’s been under 60 at the time. Been sat here a minute thinking who the hell was it 2003 cos I don’t remember there being one, checked in case I forgot and there wasn’t one. Unless we’re counting Macy Gray or Sugababes... it’s a fairly informal arrangement anyway, eh?

23 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

Of the festivals I’ve been to I don’t think there’s been a legend who’s been under 60 at the time. Been sat here a minute thinking who the hell was it 2003 cos I don’t remember there being one, checked in case I forgot and there wasn’t one. Unless we’re counting Macy Gray or Sugababes... it’s a fairly informal arrangement anyway, eh?

I think legends slot has always been a bit of a 'guilty pleasure' slot.

1 hour ago, Keithy said:

I think legends slot has always been a bit of a 'guilty pleasure' slot.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Only if you buy into that as even a thing.

The festival - and Emily in particular - seem to usually call it the Sunday Teatime Slot.

Whatever anyone wants to call it, it’s a great tradition. Wouldn’t go as far as saying guilty pleasure though... don’t think I’ve ever listened to Dolly Parton of me own accord but had a great time watching her. 

2 hours ago, RichardWaller said:

Was that the year Burt Bacharach cancelled?

13 hours ago, incident said:

Given that Pink has headlined (multiple) stadiums in the UK, and could easily walk into an IOW/BST/Rize headline slot, she's at least a couple notches above Perrys level and would be crazy to accept playing 3rd down.

Perry's a bigger star right now, though. Imagine her subbing for Pink.

11 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

Oh, was he booked? Had no idea.

There was one year he cancelled and someone else stepped in ..... but thinking about it again it might have been 2000? I'm sure David Gray stepped in. I remember going from seeing one Sugababa in the JP over to the Pyramid to see the end of the other I'm sure, that was 03? Blurs into one.

Throwing a curve ball into the legends debate, would Blondie count as “female, but not British”, i know they are a band, but Debbie is the “face” of the band. They have three dates in March in the Caribbean, nothing after that, but assume they won’t rehearse fo just three dates

I think they have the back catalogue and would get a good crowd, they would work well for the TV audience. 

2 minutes ago, GMF said:

Throwing a curve ball into the legends debate, would Blondie count as “female, but not British”, i know they are a band, but Debbie is the “face” of the band. They have three dates in March in the Caribbean, nothing after that, but assume they won’t rehearse fo just three dates

I think they have the back catalogue and would get a good crowd, they would work well for the TV audience. 

I think she'd be better as an Other stage opener on the Friday.

11 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I think she'd be better as an Other stage opener on the Friday.

I was thinking that Elvis Costello might be the other stage opener, new album out and getting positive critical reviews.