'Female, not British' artist for Sunday legend slot

pie_and_a_pint

6 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Not sure how I feel about that Hyde Park version of Can't Get You Out of My Head. Can't be having with all these concessions to Real Music live bandism. It's a slippery slope that ends with Ben Howard covering I Feel Love for John Lewis Christmas ads.

Got a load of cats complaining on Twitter and FB about Britney miming for this year's UK dates. Like if she feels the need to mime, do you really want to hear her real voice? You're not going a Britney show for the virtuosity, just want to go HAM to those jams in a big crowd of people.

9 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Got a load of cats complaining on Twitter and FB about Britney miming for this year's UK dates. Like if she feels the need to mime, do you really want to hear her real voice? You're not going a Britney show for the virtuosity, just want to go HAM to those jams in a big crowd of people.

Britney has mimed for 20 years. I was given a ticket to see her in 2011 (i think) and she was miming the whole show. She's done Vegas since then and I have absolute no doubt that they wouldn't have trusted her to sing so she would have mimed that too. Basically she charges massive prices to watch her dance along to her pre recording. Borderline criminal :ninja:

Edited by Doug85

29 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Oh lord, Kylie is having a bit of a moment which surely means it's only a matter of time until a man in a lumberjack shirt breaks out the acoustic for a sensitive cover of Spinning Around, doesn't it?

It’s as inevitable as a media studies undergrad breaking out a looper pedal for a post-modern take on Locomotion. 

9 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Yeah, she's got a few good tunes but nowhere near the likes of Dolly and Lionel. Certainly not one that I'll be getting to the Pyramid for unless there's nothing else really on.

At a rough guess I would say I know at least ten times the number of Kylie songs than I do Dolly or Lionel. 

Will be easily Lionel level *if* she plays a better setlist than that Hyde Park one. She's a huge booking for a legend slot. Look at the amount of actual hits Dolly and Lionel have had in the last 30 years then stack them against Kylie. People know a lot of Kylie songs. Chuck in the reason she had to cancel last time and this will be properly big shizzle.

25 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Will be easily Lionel level *if* she plays a better setlist than that Hyde Park one. She's a huge booking for a legend slot. Look at the amount of actual hits Dolly and Lionel have had in the last 30 years then stack them against Kylie. People know a lot of Kylie songs. Chuck in the reason she had to cancel last time and this will be properly big shizzle.

Yeah, it's potentially like an actual headline set in the Sunday teatime slot. I know previous occupants of the slot have been household names who attracted whopping crowds and were described by Emily as 'like a fourth headline act' but, with Kylie's collection of relatively recent hits, it genuinely is someone you could imagine taking to the stage at 10pm with minimal gimmicks and a barrage of songs people actually know.

I think it'll be a little down on the total of Dolly and Lionel crowds personally because Kylie's been a regular touring act in the UK for quite a long time and it might feel a little less unique - not to mention that the meme-value is low - but it could really be one for the ages this one. Maybe it'll bump up the cred when trying to harpoon the white whale for the Sunday slot in 2020.

8 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Oh lord, Kylie is having a bit of a moment which surely means it's only a matter of time until a man in a lumberjack shirt breaks out the acoustic for a sensitive cover of Spinning Around, doesn't it?

I don't know which arsehole at head office is responsible for programming it, (and it's probably for the best I never find out) but the playlist at my work is full of those painfully twee covers of dance, pop or rock songs. The worst one has to be a(n amazingly even more twee, not to mention shit) version of Everybody's Changing by Keane. In it's own terrible way, it's actually kind of horribly impressive what they've managed to do with it

21 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah, it's potentially like an actual headline set in the Sunday teatime slot. I know previous occupants of the slot have been household names who attracted whopping crowds and were described by Emily as 'like a fourth headline act' but, with Kylie's collection of relatively recent hits, it genuinely is someone you could imagine taking to the stage at 10pm with minimal gimmicks and a barrage of songs people actually know.

I think it'll be a little down on the total of Dolly and Lionel crowds personally because Kylie's been a regular touring act in the UK for quite a long time and it might feel a little less unique - not to mention that the meme-value is low - but it could really be one for the ages this one. Maybe it'll bump up the cred when trying to harpoon the white whale for the Sunday slot in 2020.

Yeah agree with all that. I didn’t realise she had an album out this year but apparently it went to Number 1, 30 years since her first Number 1 LP. That’s serous staying power even if it makes her unusually relevant for a Legend. But your right, it wouldn’t be that amazing to see her headline.

On 9/17/2018 at 10:06 PM, eastynh said:

The best version ?

This is early in the morning, so I'll admit to being confused. Ok, so it's a Blue Monday mashup, that's fine. And a split screen is normal for mashups... But both screens are Kylie doing the same song.

So did she actually do a Blue Monday mashup in 2002? If so, what's the relevance of the other side of the split screen?

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This is early in the morning, so I'll admit to being confused. Ok, so it's a Blue Monday mashup, that's fine. And a split screen is normal for mashups... But both screens are Kylie doing the same song.

So did she actually do a Blue Monday mashup in 2002? If so, what's the relevance of the other side of the split screen?

No idea. She did the Mash up at the Brit awards. New Order also did it when they played Old Trafford.