'Female, not British' artist for Sunday legend slot

pie_and_a_pint

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I dare say Kylie would be more entertaining than they were.

Wasn't there for the Elvis Costello year but I enjoyed Planty Boy. Have to admit I didn't pay too much attention as we were trying to find the rest of our group so I spent half the set trudging around in the rain but yeah, thought he was decent.

Edit: He was much more exciting than Lana Del Rey was before him, who literally put me to sleep whilst I was using a coke bottle wedged into the ground as a pillow. You have to be boring to do that.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

8 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

I'd sooner watch Plant over Kylie and I reckon that'd be a major consensus. Having said that I think Kylie wouldgo down well. Not spectacular. Not Lionel levels. That was immense.

I think you'd be surprised.  She'd be a pretty substantial draw wherever she shows up.

2 hours ago, tevaburger said:

watched the first minute of this and it made me think of the 94 and 95 lineups, an era where Kylie was getting into her prime. Could you imagine finding her a place on the bill back then? and nowadays some on here are clamoring for her, more Katy Perry-like slots 3rd down on pyramid...while some (dinosaurs like me) are hopeful the likes of The Cure, Simple Minds, Robert Plant, Elvis Costello make returns to the Pyramid next year...

I had a random original first-time thought (that no one on here has ever had) that the festival isn't what it used to be. 

See you at the Acoustic Stage 2019....

I’ve been going since 1983 and you’re right, it isn’t what it used to be. It’s much, much better now.

I saw Elvis Costello headline a few times, including in 1989 when it was just him and an acoustic guitar. I didn’t stay at the Pyramid long, it’s not exactly the most rip-roaring way to finish the day. 

What I most love about Glastonbury is it’s inclusiveness, there’s something for (nearly) everyone. And as proved by the gargantuan crowd there for Craig David last year, people like to be entertained (not that it did much for me). 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

I'd sooner watch Plant over Kylie and I reckon that'd be a major consensus. Having said that I think Kylie wouldgo down well. Not spectacular. Not Lionel levels. That was immense.

Doesn't she have a number one for 4 consecutive decades?  Think she would get a massive crowd just based on how long she has been going so different age groups will have been around through her career

Just throwing this in here...

Gladys Knight playing the Albert Hall on the 26th and 27th June 2019 recently announced https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2019/gladys-knight/

Although just found the rest of the dates and doens't give much chance after all

Manchester O2 Apollo, 22 June
Leeds First Direct Arena, 23
Birmingham Symphony Hall, 24
London Royal Albert Hall, 26-27
Bournemouth International Centre, 29
Nottingham Royal Concert Hall, 30
Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, 01 July

Edited by cdm22

3 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

Doesn't she have a number one for 4 consecutive decades?  Think she would get a massive crowd just based on how long she has been going so different age groups will have been around through her career

I said she'd go down well. It's Kylie, course she'll draw a crowd. 

I was responding that I'd have preferred Plant. And that Lionel was very well received - more so than I think Kylie would be (I'm not talking about just crowd size).

3 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

I said she'd go down well. It's Kylie, course she'll draw a crowd. 

I was responding that I'd have preferred Plant. And that Lionel was very well received - more so than I think Kylie would be (I'm not talking about just crowd size).

Apples and oranges though, you can pop Plant anywhere on the Pyramid and he'd go down well... except for that slot. I think there's an expectation nowadays that it'll be a classic pop act, something everyone can have a drink, a dance and a big singalong to.

That's why ELO died on their arses, they didn't fit it.

Edited by Hugh Jass

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Apples and oranges though, you can pop Plant anywhere on the Pyramid and he'd go down well... except for that slot. I think there's an expectation nowadays that it'll be a classic pop act, something everyone can have a drink, a dance and a big singalong to.

That's why ELO died on their arses, they didn't fit it.

Sunshine versus cold, damp 'n' muddy has something to do with it as well. Mr Blue Sky would've been a big singalong if there was the weather to match. It's basically the Radio 2 live in Hyde Park slot.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 4:04 PM, Gucci Piggy said:

Edit: He was much more exciting than Lana Del Rey was before him, who literally put me to sleep whilst I was using a coke bottle wedged into the ground as a pillow. You have to be boring to do that.

Coke bottle for a pillow, plate for a toilet, what is it with you?

2 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Sunshine versus cold, damp 'n' muddy has something to do with it as well. Mr Blue Sky would've been a big singalong if there was the weather to match. It's basically the Radio 2 live in Hyde Park slot.

Yeah but you'd have had to stand through an hour of not much to get to that point though, sunshine or not. To make that slot work you need big singalong hits, and lots of them. Dolly had them, Lionel had them, Kylie does have them.

I have no doubt kylie would smash it on the pyramid , loads of cheesy numbers just right for a sunday afternoon ... I doubt I would pay to go and see her on her own but that arena would be packed to Dolly levels , It just seems right to me and with madonna aswell the festival would have some strong publicity for female performers ... and yes I realise  pyramid is a small part of the festival ... but headline and sunday legend maybe both on the sunday to please the locals :danced: