21 minutes ago, Ikindalikemusiclikealot said:

So after a day to get over the shock there are some real gems in that last announcement. Also we already had some amazing names and still going to be an awesome weekend.

Yh I've had a look this morning at the line up and can just make a weekend out of it. Just annoyed at the amount bands touring whether werchters fault or just unlucky have been missed. Would love to find out had who cancelled on them etc

Edited by lightsnowpatrol

1 hour ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Upopolar opinion: if I go to Werchter (not Sonar, not Primavera, not Melt), and I pay 105 a day, I don't want to discover gems because I have to, since the management provided me with Pink - Bastille - Vance Joy.

Although I love finding gems, and had The Slope as the favourite stage last year, I do agree with you. There is a certain expectation to every festival, and at Werchter where you pay premium, you should be allowed to expect a higher number of bigger names. I look forward to exploring new names though, and hope to find some gems. For me it's the medium names playing in the tents that are too weak, so I really really need good weather to make the most out of this year's edition.

I'm still pissed about the Thursday though, to such an extent that I've fired off an e-mail to RW, asking for an explanation. Will be interesting to see if and what they answer. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, tmolvik said:

Although I love finding gems, and had The Slope as the favourite stage last year, I do agree with you. There is a certain expectation to every festival, and at Werchter where you pay premium, you should be allowed to expect a higher number of bigger names. I look forward to exploring new names though, and hope to find some gems. For me it's the medium names playing in the tents that are too weak, so I really really need good weather to make the most out of this year's edition.

I'm still pissed about the Thursday though, to such an extent that I've fired off an e-mail to RW, asking for an explanation. Will be interesting to see if and what they answer. 

Of course! I won't take part to any major fest this year but I'm still analyzing the circuit mainly for the hidden gems (and also to see if any fest changes is status, for next year's sake), so I get the kink of searching for hidden gems 

Lots of things fell through this year. (Raconteurs, Eddie Vedder, even The Strokes some point, to name a few). Nothing new, this happens literally every year. It's maybe a tad more striking this year, that's all. And trust me. Trust me. It could have been a LOT worse. Really.

The Thursday weirdness is without a doubt a one-time P!nk ego thing.

All in all, you won't find a better line-up around except maybe Glasto or niche fests for those into that. RW have had better editions, much better even. But it's going to be a good one nevertheless. Peace out.

Edited by Jazebel
  • Upvote 3

I'm a long time reader and can speak Dutch so am on festileaks and follow that discussion.

Been for 5 of the last 6 years and find that, as most people, the mid section  bands massively missing. Live nation push this as their flagship festival. Unfortunately the process seems to, if you read the feedback, failed.

I feel the weekend choice hasn't worked. Not only competing with Glasto but if you look the festival calendar there are about 8 reasonable sized festivals on the same weekend in Europe.

I have a thought, and would like others opinions, over the Thursday. After seeing Pink show on the Brits, it was massive. Is there as possibility that they are going to build a stage extension? They have lots of days before to build it. She obviously has bought the package and other bands don't want a 3rd party to discuss with over use of the stage.

I'm going and will enjoy the atmosphere but next year will wait for more announcements before committing. Even if it's Rammstein and Metallica!

1 hour ago, Jazebel said:

Lots of things fell through this year. (Raconteurs, Eddie Vedder, even The Strokes some point, to name a few). Nothing new, this happens literally every year. It's maybe a tad more striking this year, that's all. And trust me. Trust me. It could have been a LOT worse. Really.

All in all, you won't find a better line-up around except maybe Glasto or niche fests for those into that. RW have had better editions, much better even. But it's going to be a good one nevertheless. Peace out.

Personally I don't think they help themselves doing it the same weekend at Glastonbury. They may pay etc but to some bands they'll choose Glastonbury whereas had it been the next weekend they could do both. Band of Horses for e.g. is one band I'm expecting here now but did see them taking the Werchter money if that was the choice.

3 hours ago, heti said:

@Jazebel, @Ken19 - is this Thursday situation with only half of the bands a new tradition or just a one time fuck-up? I'm asking in terms of 2020 edition...

I was told on Facebook by a local, that the thursday was shortened because Rock Werchters falls just before the big summer holidays in Belgium and many people are going to have some obligations and/or the traffic will increase .......but to be honest, has this problem never come up in the past?

@Jazebel I just read your post and thank you so much for some clarifaction over the past weeks! Pink has done festival headline shows before, just as Sziget a few years ago, and if I remember correctly there has never been such an issue about the acts that are playing on the same stage as her?

@Ikindalikemusiclikealot I made a clashfinder for Rock Werchter yesterday and I'm quite certain you can watch Florence and the Blaze ;)

Clashfinder Rock Werchter 2019

Since 2019 is now through, my guesses for 2020 are Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, Kings of Leon and Imagine Dragons (+2 smaller ones) :)

3 hours ago, Jazebel said:

Thank you for the information, but can you elaborate a bit on that one about Pink/Thursday? Surely she can't have any impact on i.e no acts on The Slope? My main question though, in terms of travel arrangements, is if the festival park will open at the same time as usual with longer or more spread out acts, or if everything will be postponed, to say about 16.00 or so (which I really don't hope)? Nevertheless it's strange that RW will alter their plan so much for an artist that doesn't really fit their profile (although I seem to be one of the few in here, that actually look forward to seeing her, as I know she's a good live act).

4 hours ago, Scarnic said:

I feel the weekend choice hasn't worked. Not only competing with Glasto but if you look the festival calendar there are about 8 reasonable sized festivals on the same weekend in Europe.

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Personally I don't think they help themselves doing it the same weekend at Glastonbury. They may pay etc but to some bands they'll choose Glastonbury whereas had it been the next weekend they could do both. Band of Horses for e.g. is one band I'm expecting here now but did see them taking the Werchter money if that was the choice.

3 hours ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

I was told on Facebook by a local, that the thursday was shortened because Rock Werchters falls just before the big summer holidays in Belgium and many people are going to have some obligations and/or the traffic will increase .......but to be honest, has this problem never come up in the past?

I can't remember / be bothered to find who wrote it first; however, on the next weekend Tour de France starts in Belgium and it will be definitely be a big event in terms of logistics / traffic / police duties. This is the most probable reason they moved the festival forward. Early on some people even suggested they moved specifically for a certain band, but the clash with Tour de France makes the clearest sense.

4 hours ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

That is indeed what their press contact said in a Belgian newspaper. I for one don’t believe a damn thing about, it’s a rather lame excuse. Which means there are things she can’t tell, fuelling rumours of P!nk requesting the day to revolve around her headline set.  

2 hours ago, tmolvik said:

Thank you for the information, but can you elaborate a bit on that one about Pink/Thursday? Surely she can't have any impact on i.e no acts on The Slope?

In that same article she explained that P!nk (or her management) requested that that DJ she brings on her tour (KidCutUp?) would fill the gaps between main stage acts, which resulted in the Slope not being used on Thursday due to sound bleed.

So it actually seems true that P!nk is the sole reason for that lean Thursday. 

17 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

That is indeed what their press contact said in a Belgian newspaper. I for one don’t believe a damn thing about, it’s a rather lame excuse. Which means there are things she can’t tell, fuelling rumours of P!nk requesting the day to revolve around her headline set.  

In that same article she explained that P!nk (or her management) requested that that DJ she brings on her tour (KidCutUp?) would fill the gaps between main stage acts, which resulted in the Slope not being used on Thursday due to sound bleed.

So it actually seems true that P!nk is the sole reason for that lean Thursday. 

If that's the case it at least explains it, although I then revert to my initial surprise that RW would succumb to such terms for an act that they knew would be a controversial headliner. Let's not hope this is not a new trend from the main acts.. I reckon the DJ will play between every act then, and not just between Bastille and herself? In that case he could start working for his payslip around 13-14.00 and they can add some more acts to the tents ;)

9 hours ago, tmolvik said:

Yup, so there's nothing "normally" about this, and it means that I have thrown away money on an additional hotel night.

I think Ken was speaking about the first few years of the Thursday. They normally began at 16:00 or 17:00 with the gates opening an hour or two  before. 

22 hours ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

Since 2019 is now through, my guesses for 2020 are Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, Kings of Leon and Imagine Dragons (+2 smaller ones) :)

That definitely wouldn't be an improvement for me on the headliners :P (RHCP, Green Day and KoL are undoubtedly in the big league, but hardly exciting anymore.) But as said, this year's issue is mainly in the mid-sized acts and maybe a co-head missing. And better communication about that Friday. I think this year shows the problem we'll be having the coming years: few new (rock/guitar) acts in the headliner pool, and quite some acts prefering their own shows over festivals. Like the American festivals, maybe more pop/hiphop/electronic headliners will show up, question is whether RW will go along... And then we're getting older ourselves :P 

12 minutes ago, Chimme said:

If you get only half the number of acts, you should pay only half the amount of money for a day ticket. 

Agreed, very sleazy of them, you're essentially just going to a P!nk gig with very little on offer on the other stages. Brockhampton will be great though.

22 hours ago, Hullabaloo92 said:

Let's hope for something better, shall we?

image.png.15d4f66c7ce25ac5a94f74abecfd1fab.png

Edited by Gossard
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2