Prodigy was never an option for RW, and they did not wait till the day would sell out. This business doesn’t work like that. Money is also not really a problem for RW.

One act is playing in Europe, but not available in their weekend. The other act has no shows for the moment during the summer in Europe. 

52 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

Prodigy was never an option for RW, and they did not wait till the day would sell out. This business doesn’t work like that. Money is also not really a problem for RW.

One act is playing in Europe, but not available in their weekend. The other act has no shows for the moment during the summer in Europe. 

Let's call them by name...Smashing Pumpkins. The other...I don't know :) And guys ...we had Paolo Nutini subbing, so Greta van Fleet can sub as well (it ain't the worst option in RW history). Personally, my worst sub/cohead in history were The Black Keys 2014. Geez, how dreadful (IMO)

Edited by heti

In my eyes alt-j, London Grammar, James Blake, Kasabian etc were all a surprise placed as subs. Further more Franz Ferdinand, Phoenix, Ben Howard, NGHFB,  Imagine Dragons etc were small subs to a co-headliner structure or at least to a headliner+dance act. All of those were far more established then GVF and for me, this is what Werchter is about. The only sub similar to GVF since I've been going is Paolo Nutini and he was announced as a part of the last batch of names in an already sold out festival (in a day with Arctic Monkeys anda dance act in Major Lazor). If GVF are to play second from the top this is shocking by Werchter standards. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BlockRockinBeats said:

Mate it'll be Foals playing twice like Royal Blood did once. ?

Like The National are at Pukkelpop this year then?

As for this development, I know no GVF songs but I'm aware that while they're getting pretty big, subbing Muse seems much bigger than the level I would expect. Not really enticed to go across the Channel for this one though.

2 hours ago, Ken19 said:

If I remember correctly, some guy who teased Pink in this forum also posted "DAMN!" or something like that......could Kendrick Lamar have been plan b? He is playing shows in South America but could have cancelled his summer plans for europe?

I guess plan a should have been Pumpkins or Bon Iver

So much speculation :D

3 minutes ago, Ken19 said:

No, no Biffy, not this year, not the next year, not 2021... they have no fanbase in Belgium. Remember Pukkelpop 2016. Maybe, they release an album that changes everything in the future, but i doubt it.

I would expect they have a bigger fanbase than GVF (at least among the international RW crowd), but then I'll just have to give up on wishing for artists on the bigger stages, and hope that The Slope will be as awesome as last year.. :)

@Ken19 any idea on why they missed out on The Chemical Brothers? They seem to have always played at Werchter in the past when they had a new album out. I assume the bond between the festival and the act is quite strong.

I was actually quite certain they would be the dance act on the Thursday again, after P!nk. But it seems that won't be the case. It's a shame because they are a fantastic live act and their new stuff is really good. :(

15 minutes ago, Chaarlie said:

that's the spirit

4 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

They can't keep on giving us these mediocre names, can they?

There's always hope for improvement.

Unfortunately on my experience announcements never get better and with word we've had cancellations it don't look great. I still would realistically want vampire weekend and foals but knowing my luck we won't get any 

2 hours ago, Noahh said:

@Ken19 any idea on why they missed out on The Chemical Brothers? They seem to have always played at Werchter in the past when they had a new album out. I assume the bond between the festival and the act is quite strong.

I was actually quite certain they would be the dance act on the Thursday again, after P!nk. But it seems that won't be the case. It's a shame because they are a fantastic live act and their new stuff is really good. :(

The last two times they played RW the field was really empty... that does not help. They are not really cheap. It would help if they want to play a tent stage. 

3 minutes ago, Gossard said:

Any chance Bob Dylan will play on the Sunday? He'd have to play three nights in a row, but he does that at least on two other occasion on his tour.... 

What about Neil Young??

Screenshot 2019-02-28 at 12.45.22.png

I think that the travel from Norway to BE is tougher than domestic travel in Spain or Germany. So I would not get your hopes up! 

(would love for any of the two to play though)

21 minutes ago, Gossard said:

Any chance Bob Dylan will play on the Sunday? He'd have to play three nights in a row, but he does that at least on two other occasion on his tour.... 

What about Neil Young??

Screenshot 2019-02-28 at 12.45.22.png

Logistically it doesn't really make sense. At this point I think we have all headliners and subs, maybe another Bastille sized act on Thursday but no space anymore for acts like Bob Dylan or Neil Young. And Young just announced a Belgium show 2 weeks after the festival.