1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

Yeah. Apart from The Cure and Tool I wouldn't want to see a single headliner announced thus far. Pink and Mumford are awful in my book and I've seen Muse way too many times to enjoy them (they were never really my favorite band anyway). So here's hoping for something great next to Pink and Muse!

Tame Impala after Pink, The National right before Muse would help a lot. ? Smashing Pumpkins right before Pink would seal the deal. And while we're at it, we can add dEUS (great Belgian legends) right before The National on sunday. And Ghost would be nice too. And something great in the Barn on saturday, because the trio 'Macklemore - Florence - Mumford' is one I will avoid at all costs...

For the Barn slots, let's go for the likes of Thom Yorke, Interpol, The Good The Bad And The Queen, New Order, Solange, The Streets, Mogwai, Brockhampton, Janelle Monae and, for the rock fans (and just to keep everything balanced) Parkway Drive and Wolfmother

Firstly thanks for the downvote, not needed imo as what I was saying wasn't really untrue as reflected after by a couple of posters here.

What you actually want is Primavera Sounds undercard with your choice of headliners when the two festivals are very different.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Firstly thanks for the downvote, not needed imo as what I was saying wasn't really untrue as reflected after by a couple of posters here.

What you actually want is Primavera Sounds undercard with your choice of headliners when the two festivals are very different.

Gazza, why do you even bother commenting on this thread when it's quite clear you have no intention of going to Rock Werchter and have nothing positive to contribute?

The post you initially replied to was about Bon Iver, Tame Impala, Smashing Pumpkins, Thom Yorke and The National. All of these acts are perfectly reasonable bookings for Rock Werchter, so what's the point in quoting it and saying "It's not 6music festival"?

Without wanting to sound harsh, your music taste is effectively that of a teenager in the mid-00s. I'm sorry that major festivals in 2018/19 don't cater to that, but I'm not sure what you feel you achieve by going around threads of festivals you have no intention of going to, and seemingly have never been to in the past, and telling everyone that the lineup/their suggestions are rubbish.

Once again, the post you just replied to was about a bunch of acts that are entirely suitable for Rock Werchter. Have you seen the 2018 lineup? It includes Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, David Byrne, Nine Inch Nails, Fever Ray, etc. Just as "Primavera" as the acts in the post you just replied to (which also included several non-"Primavera" acts like Parkway Drive and Wolfmother).

Honestly I'm not really sure what you get out of posting here anymore. You don't seem to listen to any new music or like the lineups of any festivals these days (except odd days that have a few 2000s rock acts playing) and spend most of your time on here going around saying either a lineup is rubbish, people's suggestions are rubbish, or arguing with people. Not that I'm trying to tell you how to spend your time, I just don't really understand it.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, lighthouse said:

You kind off deserved the downvote though. Calling Tame Impala and Yorke Yorke's recent solo shows 'slow music' is just wrong. Saw Yorke this year during one of his sets and it was a very energetic, danceable affair. It was better than some of the Radiohead show I saw. And a very exciting show that would go down well at Werchter. And Tame Impala isn't 'slow muic' either. At all.

Werchter normally shines as a festival that combines big blockbuster names (Metallica, Muse, Rammstein) with Primavera-style headliners (Nick Cave, National, Arcade Fire, Nine Inch Nails). That combination of both worlds is the biggest strength of the festival. Saw some incredible concerts there: Björk in 07, Sigur Ros in 08, Oasis in 09, National and Frank Ocean in 13,  Pearl Jam in 14, Faith No More in 15, PJ Harvey and Macca in 16, Radiohead and SOAD in 17, Cave and Byrne in 18. That mix of artists is just lovely and the whole reason I love the festival.

And as we already have the likes of Muse and Mumford, I really hope they add some of these acts to the lineup.

While I don't usually care, I didn't really though. It was an overall general point, not saying that everyone there is slow music

The bands in question of The National and Bon Iver are slow music, Sigur Ros and Interpol are slow music too tbh and none of which are my thing, hence I'd never attend Primavera. Werchter is usually better than it is looking for sure, but it's not the 1st lineup in recent years there that hasn't looked as strong as the past and even Werchter could be struggling. On the Thom York point, there isn't much that is less energetic that Radiohead so I'd probably agree with you there.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

While I don't usually care, I didn't really though. It was an overall general point, not saying that everyone there is slow music

The bands in question of The National and Bon Iver are slow music, Sigur Ros and Interpol are slow music too tbh and none of which are my thing, hence I'd never attend Primavera. Werchter is usually better than it is looking for sure, but it's not the 1st lineup in recent years there that hasn't looked as strong as the past and even Werchter could be struggling. On the Thom York point, there isn't much that is less energetic that Radiohead so I'd probably agree with you there.

Saw Interpol at Royal Albert Hall last month amd wouldnt describe it as slow music.

17 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Werchter is usually better than it is looking for sure, but it's not the 1st lineup in recent years there that hasn't looked as strong as the past and even Werchter could be struggling. 

Werchter is as strong as it’s always been, it’s just more varied and less condensed than it used to be. 

For example when the lineup had the appearance of being very strong, it was very easy to do as it only had 2 stages. Now it has 4 stages so the lineup is bound to be more sporadic and the acts more thinly spread out. 

Also the line is have always been the same, catering for the teen/early 20s and also to get the older crowd in with headers like your foo fighters, pearl jam, the cure etc etc. 

Editors sounding like Interpol is just lazy in my opinion, the first album perhaps but since then nothing like them at all. It’s like when Muse came along the journalists were saying they are like Radiohead because John Leckie was involved on the debut album. 

2 hours ago, frontsidecab said:

Just for fun, no idea where to start with placements for Werchter so I just alphabetised most of it, give me some more name suggestions for certain days.

rwtemplatewithnames.png

I'd be super happy with some of those additions you made, Sunday and that Thursday look way better on your poster than they do right now that's for sure !

2 hours ago, frontsidecab said:

Just for fun, no idea where to start with placements for Werchter so I just alphabetised most of it, give me some more name suggestions for certain days.

rwtemplatewithnames.png

In my opinion, this would be the weakest lineup since I started doing RW in 2009...by far!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Really? Adding The Strokes, Tame Impala and Bon Iver would mean 3 extra headliner sized acts.

I would happily take it. ?

Only Bon Iver would be headliner sized acts for werchter though, even that is highly debatable. 

Edited by thetime

Why does everyone need to argue about what is slow music, boring music, heavy music, soft music, quiet music blah blah blah. Even arguing about what is good music and bad music is futile as everyone has different tastes. 

I think the line up is pretty diverse already this year and if you don't like whats on the main stage, go and do something else! OR go and see something you usually wouldn't - enhance your life!!!!

Just remember everyone is different! One persons "kinky" is another persons "normal"!

Don't be so tunnel visioned, have a mosh, have a dance, or lay back and listen to something acoustic. Embrace it!  

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

Why does everyone need to argue about what is slow music, boring music, heavy music, soft music, quiet music blah blah blah. Even arguing about what is good music and bad music is futile as everyone has different tastes. 

I think the line up is pretty diverse already this year and if you don't like whats on the main stage, go and do something else! OR go and see something you usually wouldn't - enhance your life!!!!

Just remember everyone is different! One persons "kinky" is another persons "normal"!

Don't be so tunnel visioned, have a mosh, have a dance, or lay back and listen to something acoustic. Embrace it!  

What a shit forum if we all agreed and didn’t debate. 

Edited by thetime
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2018 at 2:48 PM, thetime said:

Werchter is as strong as it’s always been, it’s just more varied and less condensed than it used to be. 

For example when the lineup had the appearance of being very strong, it was very easy to do as it only had 2 stages. Now it has 4 stages so the lineup is bound to be more sporadic and the acts more thinly spread out. 

Also the line is have always been the same, catering for the teen/early 20s and also to get the older crowd in with headers like your foo fighters, pearl jam, the cure etc etc. 

Not sure, Macca's year with PJ Harvey I believe was certainly seemed a little poor

On 12/9/2018 at 4:18 PM, lighthouse said:

Editors is a more mellow, tamer version of Interpol in my opinion. I always thought Interpol is more hard hitting and in your face than the more poppy, softened sound op Editors. They're definitely much tamer in terms of sound. 

I like both of them, mind. 

I probably prefer Editors due to them being more catchy, I don't like Interpol mind.

8 hours ago, thetime said:

What a shit forum if we all agreed and didn’t debate. 

Well i personally think the forum gets boring when people just come on here and share their opinions about whats great music and whats not, what bands are good and whats not. 

The forum is better when discussing who might be there, who might not be and where the bands might play on the bill. 

Personally, the line up isn't too bad so far and definitely enough to persuade me to buy a ticket, but I think the line up lacks some bigger sized acts at the moment...  A personal, hopefully realistic Wishlist of bands touring Europe who would really make the festival for me would be the likes of:

The Strokes (most unlikely imo),

Tame Impala, Foals, Vampire Weekend, Childish Gambino, Bloc Party, Courtney Barnett, Thom Yorke, Robert Plant, New Order, Catfish & The Bottlemen, Chemical Brothers

Rex Orange County (unlikely again unless he releases new music), Slaves, Drenge, Jade Bird

To be honest, the likes of Bon Iver and The National aren't such a big draw for me but I can appreciate the big atmospheric show they'd put on and I would happily see them 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RUMINE said:

Personally, the line up isn't too bad so far and definitely enough to persuade me to buy a ticket, but I think the line up lacks some bigger sized acts at the moment...  A personal, hopefully realistic Wishlist of bands touring Europe who would really make the festival for me would be the likes of:

The Strokes (most unlikely imo),

Tame Impala, Foals, Vampire Weekend, Childish Gambino, Bloc Party, Courtney Barnett, Thom Yorke, Robert Plant, New Order, Catfish & The Bottlemen, Chemical Brothers

Rex Orange County (unlikely again unless he releases new music), Slaves, Drenge, Jade Bird

To be honest, the likes of Bon Iver and The National aren't such a big draw for me but I can appreciate the big atmospheric show they'd put on and I would happily see them 

Totally agree tbh, as soon as Thursday and Sunday get the big subs etc and we get a few gems the line up will look good

• Upvote 1