Arenas end agreements with StubHub

brettredmayne

1 minute ago, Mash011 said:

Nah come on do you really think bands are personally setting the prices for every venue they tour to. These things are, with few exceptions, decided by massive corporations tryna create a market that works to their advantage. 'Blame the band' is such a lazy response to that.

When a band is so big it can charge silly prices, it has the power to be in control.

It's choice for whether that band decides to be in control, & whether to control prices or not.

The band doesn't have to chase huge piles of cash. They're choosing to chase huge piles of cash.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

When a band is so big it can charge silly prices, it has the power to be in control.

It's choice for whether that band decides to be in control, & whether to control prices or not.

The band doesn't have to chase huge piles of cash. They're choosing to chase huge piles of cash.

Aye in the case of people like U2 really gouging it it's not hard to fault the band but these companies are driving up prices across the board too so it's important to focus on the institutional problem as well.

29 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Aye in the case of people like U2 really gouging it it's not hard to fault the band but these companies are driving up prices across the board too so it's important to focus on the institutional problem as well.

nope, i don't buy that.

The band is in control of their spends, no more or less than a punter is.

There's an argument that suggests that acts are no longer getting as much income from physical sales as they were (which isn't nearly reflected in digital sales or streaming) so they have a case to increase gig prices but these U2 shenanigans are inexcusable. Alas they will probably sell out leaving them little incentive to remain accessible to any fans they may have with less disposable income. 

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nope, i don't buy that.

The band is in control of their spends, no more or less than a punter is.

Reality is that the promoters/venues may set the prices but the bands still have the power to influence them if they like. I cannot accept that they are not aware of how much their tickets are selling for. I get that there are various costs (production/venue/admin/etc) and everyone involved needs to make a profit (they're not doing this for free) but at some point Bono can say "I don't think we should be charging people 50 quid for presale" or " I feel 190 quid for the upper tier of the O2 is excessive" and it'll stop.

Bands might not set the price, but they stand back and allow it to happen.

1 minute ago, Tommy101 said:

so they have a case to increase gig prices

not really. Remember, we're talking about the biggest bands, as they're the only ones who can get away with charging silly prices.

How many of us get to take a year off just cos we fancy it?

They're choosing to scoop up max cash for the lowest work. And while we might all like that for ourselves it doesn't make it right.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Reality is that the promoters/venues may set the prices

the venues have a hire fee. And while i don't know, there's no particular reason to think these are spiralling out of control.

The agreement between the promoter and band is where the issue is. The promoter promises the band a fee of particular amount, and then (essentially) has freedom to set the prices.

But it doesn't have to be like that. It's attractive to the band because they get top-dollar and no risk.

22 hours ago, eFestivals said:

yep, exactly this.

In the particular case of U2, Live Nation bought the rights to their concerts in 2008, so I expect pricing is set by Live Nation.  I would question if U2 have any veto on prices whatsoever.  The Joshua Tree tour last year seems to have been a contractual obligation.  Given the heap of bad press U2 tends to attract, I'm surprised they seemed to get away with presenting it as "30 years of Joshua Tree" and not "Live Nation is obliging us to tour".   

ALL VIAGOGO TICKETS ARE INVALID

If you believe you have, or may have bought tickets from Viagogo for The Downs Bristol, these tickets will NOT BE VALID to enter the festival. You will be able to bring the tickets to Box Office on the day of the show where we will formally invalidate the tickets for you and you will be able to purchase valid tickets directly from us.

We will be able to give you details, supplied by the Fanfair Alliance, of how to go about claiming your money back from Viagogo using the invalid tickets.

We have to stand up to Viagogo and their unacceptable business practice. We believe that they take advantage of honest customers who instead of buying tickets at face value are mislead into buying tickets at vastly inflated prices, which are in turn invalid. This has to stop.

If you do have a ticket purchased from Viagogo, please do not panic, you will still be able to come to the event as we have set aside capacity to ensure you can still enjoy the day with us.

If you have purchased invalid tickets please email us at enquiries@teamlove.org with the subject line 'VIAGOGO

1 hour ago, Homer said:

ALL VIAGOGO TICKETS ARE INVALID

If you believe you have, or may have bought tickets from Viagogo for The Downs Bristol, these tickets will NOT BE VALID to enter the festival. You will be able to bring the tickets to Box Office on the day of the show where we will formally invalidate the tickets for you and you will be able to purchase valid tickets directly from us. 

We will be able to give you details, supplied by the Fanfair Alliance, of how to go about claiming your money back from Viagogo using the invalid tickets.

We have to stand up to Viagogo and their unacceptable business practice. We believe that they take advantage of honest customers who instead of buying tickets at face value are mislead into buying tickets at vastly inflated prices, which are in turn invalid. This has to stop.

If you do have a ticket purchased from Viagogo, please do not panic, you will still be able to come to the event as we have set aside capacity to ensure you can still enjoy the day with us.  

If you have purchased invalid tickets please email us at enquiries@teamlove.org with the subject line 'VIAGOGO

Whilst I admire their stance against Viagogo doesn't this just punish the buyers by making them pay twice (or thrice given the markup)? Yes there's a process to claim money back but I suspect that Viagogo won't make it quick or easy and there will be people who simply can't afford to shell out for an extra ticket having already paid.

Also, does a Viagogo ticket look different to a regular one?

just got a press release from those scumbags at Viagogo.

The press release says (my version of their words) that a major promoter is a dishonest scumbag because he's been touting with viagogo.

Which to me only underlines that Viagogo are the bigger dishonest scumbag as the bigger scumbag tout.

So I took the trouble of replying to their email to tell them. :P