2019 Improvements

adms

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Nothing like using a gif to lessen the awkwardness of telling someone just how wrong they are.  Thanks man.

Welcome. If its any consolation for you making an irredeemable booby of yourself in front of hundreds of people, there are screens now inside the tent beside the stage which can be seen from outside.

I wouldn't take too much comfort in that though. Your post will likely still appear in some Fail of the Week compilation online, alongside fat children slipping by the swimming pool, wedding dances gone wrong and a skateboarder using his face as a brake. 

There were screens there in 2008:
https://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2008/reviews-overview.shtml

But not 2010, apparently:

I think they were there in 2009 too:

I'm 95% sure there have been no screens since it moved, they were probably just for 2008 and 2009.

EDIT: In case you're incapable of judging context, I'm clearly referring to screens on the OUTSIDE of the tent.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Nal comprehension fail.

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm 95% sure there have been no screens since it moved, they were probably just for 2008 and 2009.

You're all failing so badly right now. We might just have to rename this entire thread "The Fail Thread".

King Gizzard from last year. Screens at the side and the back wall of the stage.

21 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Does it still get pretty moody in Silver Hayes? Always found it to be the one part of the festival where the vibe wasn’t great.

This /|/\/\

Whenever I walk through there at night I find the mood really dark, and everyone seems really hammered - drink hammered. Not somewhere I like to stay for long.

Really wish they would do something with Silver Hayes. It's kind of like Mordor. You can see it on the horizon but gives a sense of foreboding. It gives me the judders when I walk through like bad things can happen and not just get stuck in the quagmire. Lots of space over there so could be amazing with a bit of imagination. 

And bring back Back of Beyond. Dancing around with zombies to gravediggers is one of the all time highlights. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/8/2018 at 4:27 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Does it still get pretty moody in Silver Hayes? Always found it to be the one part of the festival where the vibe wasn’t great.

My least favourite area of the festival. I worked one of the bars there in 2016. Mostly passing trade which was fine but as night drew in the atmosphere there definitely plummeted. 

Avalon is my favourite area, leave it be!

On 7/3/2018 at 12:37 PM, ghostdancer1 said:

said it before, I'll say it again, the Avalon/Theatre/Circus/Cabaret/Bellas fields are absolutely dead at night, and rarely busy during the day either.

they should make 4 fields into 3, which I suppose would probably mean moving Avalon into the Cabaret field, and then shifting the Cabaret tent in with one of the others.

that creates an empty field on the edge of the SE Corner. move The Common into that field (or Glasto Latino, and shift the Common into GL's area), and then there's much more space for Shangri-La, which is by far the busiest and most wedged area of the SE corner.

There's presumably a licensing issue here too though. If the Avalon stage in its current location could run through the night, it probably would? 

Those talking about late night alternatives - there's late and there's late isn't there? I can definitely point you at a bunch of stuff that runs until 1am, maybe even 2am. But most of the non naughty-corner stuff people have mentioned finishes around then. 

I'd like to the see the whole Avalon/Theatre area revamped though - a focus on getting different stuff and new acts that don't turn up and do the same stuff every year. License-permitting there's probably also a chance to make it an alternative acoustic/spoken word/comedy late night area.

The Astrolabe in particular could do with a new approach. Such a nice venue, proud of the fact that it's an actual theatre, that has very limited theatrical stuff on, and a lot of stuff that could easily be on at the cabaret or circus.

20 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Those talking about late night alternatives - there's late and there's late isn't there? I can definitely point you at a bunch of stuff that runs until 1am, maybe even 2am. 

Rabbit Hole closes at 3am with some parts continuing at acoustic levels until around 6am. By the time we’re all cleaned up and reset, it’s usually around 6 or 7am when the last men standing get off duty. 

The early shift start arriving at 7am to get the next lot of bands in for opening at midday.

Peeople sometimes moan at the crew numbers but as many festival venues provide entertainment for 18+ hours a day that needs a lot of crew. 

• Upvote 3

The one and only thing I dislike about the festival is the overcrowding. It can be properly scary when you're being squeezed from all sides in the middle of a crowd. I'm a short arse as well, which doesn't help. Not sure what the solution is but I hope that they work it out for next year. It's gotten steadily worse over the last few years.

1 hour ago, ian the worm said:

Rabbit Hole closes at 3am with some parts continuing at acoustic levels until around 6am. By the time we’re all cleaned up and reset, it’s usually around 6 or 7am when the last men standing get off duty. 

The early shift start arriving at 7am to get the next lot of bands in for opening at midday.

People sometimes moan at the crew numbers but as many festival venues provide entertainment for 18+ hours a day that needs a lot of crew. 

People who do this are idiots, have not a shred of a clue as to the enormous challenge of putting on an event of the complexity of Glastonbury and, arguably, are less worthy of their golden tickets as there are so many unfortunate and more appreciative souls out there who miss out every year!

We are so, so lucky to get to go to Glastonbury and experience all of its incredible wonders...!

Ben
x

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Upvote 1