Which acts have you changed your opinion about (good or bad) after seeing them at Glasto?

Monkey Allen

I used to think Chris Martin was alittle  bit of a cock. Then he stole the headlines by polluting Glastonbury with an unknown quantity of glowing plastic wristbands. I've changed my opinion and now think he's an enormous big fecking cock. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I used to slate La Roux to my mate. Only knew one or two tracks, had a strange perception of her/them. Went along with said friend to see them at JP, reluctantly, in 2015. They were absolutely superb. Couldn't believe it. Not ashamed to admit it one bit. Got home and downloaded both albums. Such a cool style and some proper Bowie influences in there. In fact, when they opened, I thought they were about to cover Lets Dance, turned out to be one of their tracks. Really cool 80s style synths and great energy.

• Upvote 1

I used to think that coldplay were utter shite but after seeing them in 2011 I worked out they're just really really boring.

I've been won over by many bands but the biggest 180 I've done is the existence of The Bootleg Beatles, I started cringing about how awful the situation was but was won over and had one of the best sing songs of my life.

Loved Kings of Leon but after seeing them headline the pyramid it felt like they were going through the motions. 

The Verve were a little bit of a let down but I still convince myself that it was the rain.

U2  was an anticlimax but again I try to convince myself it was the rain.

Robyn on the JP stage in 2011? was amazing and was a massive awakening for me as I had always actively avoided her. Unfortunately The Streets afterwards (that was who I had come to see) were dire. 

In a good way. Its always acts who I catch the end of before the act I want to see. Never enough to become a big fan, but enough to say they are talented... stuff such as Jess Glynne - thought she'd be shit. Was waiting for someone else. I liked her.

There are plenty of those. 

Someone like...Roisin Murphy - thought she'd be ok & was there for her then Underworld. She was excellent.

In a bad way

Ellie Golding. Was waiting for Beck. Expecting crap & it was a lot worse.

Jack White - Was always a fan, but had always miseed him for various reasons - he was dire.

The Gorillaz - Thought they'd be decent, Was very bored

Dolly Parton - Looked forward to her all weekend... Mimed

On 6/28/2018 at 7:57 PM, Monkey Allen said:

For me.... biggest disappointment was The Verve  a band I’d loved for years and years and years  

Thought their 2008 headline was absolute bobbins  

Biggest surprise was 2005 Magic Numbers gig that completely won me over after being cajoled to go by my missus

Magic Numbers in the John Peel was bloody brilliant!

Kings of Leon in 2004 before Oasis springs to mind. Loved that first album, hadn't seen them, but they were boring, played everything too slow and barely spoke.

Can't think of many bands I've loved who have disappointed. 

Surprisingly, Kasabian in '09.  Still not a massive fan, but I did realise that their stuff sounds a lot better live than on record.

Madness in '16.  Always loved them and seen them live many times.  That was the first time I've seen them where I just thought "ouch".  They've definitely lost something without Chas in the band.

Kate Tempest last year, which I know a lot of people raved over. I caught her in passing and thought I'd hang around, expecting a shouty type.  Absolutely blown away.

On 6/28/2018 at 9:23 PM, faymondo said:

Watched Charles Bradley in the Pussy Parlure he blew me away. 

Charles Bradley was superb and as my final Glastonbury act that year was a wonderful way to finish the festival.

I had only heard about him a few weeks earlier when i randomly clicking the  TV remote control came across the Soul of America film about him.

Was it my imagination or did he collapse on the stage  on some point as well?

On 6/28/2018 at 11:58 PM, priest17 said:

I used to think that coldplay were utter shite but after seeing them in 2011 I worked out they're just really really boring.

I've been won over by many bands but the biggest 180 I've done is the existence of The Bootleg Beatles, I started cringing about how awful the situation was but was won over and had one of the best sing songs of my life.

Bootlegs are immense.

On 7/5/2018 at 7:30 AM, FuzzyDunlop said:

In a good way. Its always acts who I catch the end of before the act I want to see. Never enough to become a big fan, but enough to say they are talented... stuff such as Jess Glynne - thought she'd be shit. Was waiting for someone else. I liked her.

There are plenty of those. 

Someone like...Roisin Murphy - thought she'd be ok & was there for her then Underworld. She was excellent.

In a bad way

Ellie Golding. Was waiting for Beck. Expecting crap & it was a lot worse.

Jack White - Was always a fan, but had always miseed him for various reasons - he was dire.

The Gorillaz - Thought they'd be decent, Was very bored

Dolly Parton - Looked forward to her all weekend... Mimed

Did she genuinely mime? I wasn't at that GF... just asking...

Simon and indeed Garfunkel i thought were both shocking in their separate sets... Paul Simon on the Pyramid and Art Garfunkel in the acoustic..

now, i appreciate that many on here thought that the boy Garfunkel was the best thing they saw all festival and so i am likely to get shot down for saying that he sadly couldnt hold a tune in a bucket... I left after 3 numbers.

Maybe it became a big old singalong so you couldnt hear him.... a bit like Dolly..

It would be dull if we all liked the same thing right...

I was looking forward to seeing Flaming Lips as i had heard a bit of them but last year at the Park they probably became the best performance i have seen at GF in 10 years.

Radiohead and Arctics both fucked it on the Pyramid, out of boneheaded refusal to play to anybody standing past the sound towers. I'd thought both bands would be switched on enough to know that when you play the Pyramid, you play to the whole feild. Go big or go home.

• Upvote 1