Has anyone here ever met the band New Order ?

Bananaslug

I could care less about the technical inaccuracies. But live...they are one of the greatest bands ever. Haphazard kinda clumsy genius. That's a thing I love about them. Dont want them sounding exactly like their albums live. 

They were raw and brutal and honest in their music. They were notorious for being off tune and spastic live. That was their thing. Yet brilliant. 

The current shows have been extremely polished, though. Feels its lost its charm a bit without the spontaneous nature. 

9 hours ago, Bananaslug said:

I could care less about the technical inaccuracies. But live...they are one of the greatest bands ever. Haphazard kinda clumsy genius. That's a thing I love about them. Dont want them sounding exactly like their albums live. 

They were raw and brutal and honest in their music. They were notorious for being off tune and spastic live. That was their thing. Yet brilliant. 

The current shows have been extremely polished, though. Feels its lost its charm a bit without the spontaneous nature. 

Now many people on here will testify that I am a pretty big NO fan. Yet I think one of the best live bands ever is pushing it a bit. They were just too inconsistent and at times totally unprofessional. You never knew what you were going to get with them. It was always a good night going to see them as everyone was off their tits (band included probably)

I have always come away from a New Order gig after having a good time. I have never come away thinking they were one of the best live bands I have seen.

Like you say, their inconsistencies added to their allure.

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

Now many people on here will testify that I am a pretty big NO fan. Yet I think one of the best live bands ever is pushing it a bit. They were just too inconsistent and at times totally unprofessional. You never knew what you were going to get with them. It was always a good night going to see them as everyone was off their tits (band included probably)

I have always come away from a New Order gig after having a good time. I have never come away thinking they were one of the best live bands I have seen.

Like you say, their inconsistencies added to their allure.

I like the live mess that they were. That's what made them great. They didnt give a shit. Barneys crazy drunken dancing and hooky tantrums and barney screaming at hooky tantrums meanwhile blasting out a brutal kickass version of Crystal or the like. Or their fun banter and horrible out of tune mess one song and pure perfection of the next.  Those inconsistencies were magical. In my opinion. Just my opinion. I'd rather that than super rehearsed polished crap and fake banters.

To my best recollection, I never met anyone outa' New Order, nope. Would've been nice, but.... no.

I was nearly run over by Alexi Sale on Tottenham Court Road, London (driving a Suzuki Jimny), I was attacked once (unprovoked) by Aliesha Dixon wielding a swingy chair in Ayia Napa, I nearly stepped on Tom Conti's head when he fell out of a Taxi outside of the Ritz in London. (circa 1989), I was equally close to John (Duran Duran) Taylor's head when he fell out of a Rolls Royce in front of me while skateboarding through Hampstead. (I think Cocaine was in involved), I watched something unmemorable at the Park right next to Guy Garvey at Glastonbury (circa 2007), I danced with Boy George at Spectrum @ Heaven once circa 1988, my girlfriend pinched Trevor Nelson on the Arse at Twice as Nice, Covent Garden circa 1998.

I also once sat next to Philip Green when I was bumped to Business Class on a flight to Barbados. Could not shut the bragging fucker up. What an utter c**t he turned out to be.

Never met New Order though, no,

But  I saw this ...

Edited by bamber
  • Upvote 2

I also saw this, many, many years later. I'm pretty sure this was the best weekend of my life. I distinctly remember thinking at several points during the weekend that no, this is it, I'll never be happier than I am right now. To be consciously aware or such a thing was humbling and direct. I've never been unhappy, yet this was the peak.