Ticket sales

doobie ninja

Just now, doobie ninja said:

Hi guys. 

Been wanting to get to this festival for ages, might be able to go this year! :)

Does it normally sell out? Cant buy a ticket just yet as i need to pull a few strings first to get the time off work. 

Cheers

Doesn't usually sell out.

I can get reduced tickets, so gimme a shout if you want any and i'll hit you up.

• 3 weeks later...

Bestival's days of selling out are over, even with moving to the lower capacity site.

It breaks my heart when I think of what it used to be like.

They are even selling day tickets now, which makes it looks like sales are worse than ever this year.

37 minutes ago, doobie ninja said:

i saw an advert the other day saying they were low on all tickets? maybe a marketing ploy...?? no glasto this year, could this have an affect on Bestival tickets?

If that was truly the case, I doubt they'd have started selling single day tickets.

That suggests that they need to raise a bit more revenue somehow!

I'd rather personally rather have fewer stages but a better overall festival than lots of stages and a lesser festival experience. I'm sure I read a tweet from Rob Da Bank saying sales are massively up on last year! I'm sure this run of good weather will help shift a few more tickets. 

Day tickets may perfect sense considering the location, all the big players do those don't they (not sure I'd ever get one myself, but people must like them :/ 

Edited by BigKev88

2 hours ago, BigKev88 said:

I'm sure I read a tweet from Rob Da Bank saying sales are massively up on last year! I'm sure this run of good weather will help shift a few more tickets. 

Day tickets may perfect sense considering the location, all the big players do those don't they (not sure I'd ever get one myself, but people must like them :/ 

If it's true that sales are up massively, I don't think the day tickets would be on offer.

I feel that day tickets for camping festivals generally upset the balance - shiny clean people arriving on Sunday when everyone else has been in it and mucky for a few days is weird!

Generally a different kind of people too... see Glasto Sunday crowd for details.

For Bestival, it means they will have to provide ticket checking/searching/entry staff every day... They'd much prefer to sell out as a camping festival than mess about with it I reckon.

At the end of the day, i'm not too bothered, as long as they deliver what I've paid for, and I can have fun, I'm happy In regards to the logic behind day tickets, it could have been planned from day dot etc, we will never know :) 

Fingers crossed it draws the numbers, I'd hate to see it go (especially since its on my doorstep now) 

Edited by BigKev88

27 minutes ago, BigKev88 said:

Fingers crossed it draws the numbers, I'd hate to see it go (especially since its on my doorstep now) 

I hope so too, I'd hate to see the end of Bestival.

That said, they've made it impossible for me (and probably lots of others) to attend this year by moving it to the weekend before Boomtown so that they can share infrastructure costs with Camp Bestival.

Moving from IoW and moving the date have made it much less attractive for me unfortunately.   I appreciate they've probably made both of those changes to try and save it.

19 minutes ago, stu_kent said:

I hope so too, I'd hate to see the end of Bestival.

That said, they've made it impossible for me (and probably lots of others) to attend this year by moving it to the weekend before Boomtown so that they can share infrastructure costs with Camp Bestival.

Moving from IoW and moving the date have made it much less attractive for me unfortunately.   I appreciate they've probably made both of those changes to try and save it.

I imagine it’s not a case of ‘saving it’ but more just being cost efficient in a challenging festival market. Not ideal against Boomtown though!  

3 hours ago, BigKev88 said:

I'd rather personally rather have fewer stages but a better overall festival than lots of stages and a lesser festival experience. I'm sure I read a tweet from Rob Da Bank saying sales are massively up on last year! I'm sure this run of good weather will help shift a few more tickets. 

I'd have thought the August date and the mainland location should be a lot more convenient for most people - certainly is for me.

Although he seems to tweet some kind of 'record day/weekend/month for ticket sales' every year...

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

45 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Although he seems to tweet some kind of 'record day/weekend/month for ticket sales' every year...

that was in February. They might have been the best sales in 4 years by February, but they might not be now.

My take is same as someone said above, that day tickets are on sale because weekends haven't sold as well as hoped. Bestival also made a thing of 'no day tickets' when it first moved to Lulworth to placate the locals, which suggests it's probably not Bestival's preferred way to do things this year.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

that was in February. They might have been the best sales in 4 years by February, but they might not be now.

And February is a month closer to the festival than it has been before.

I agree, day sales blatantly signals difficulty with normal sales. Not surprising with that lineup. Suits me, more camping/dancing/staggering room for those of us who are there!

Though Rob is denying any connection between day tickets and sales:

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

i remember one day at Sziget there were LOADS of day people, you could spot them a mile off....super clean and glam!! :)  loads of them looked scared looking at all the sweaty dusty campers...no joke, they were moving out your way like you were some smelly hobo xombie!! (and no..it wasnt just me!) :)

but.. if you live near a festival, and they dont do day tickets......how annoying would that be!

On 7/16/2018 at 2:17 PM, doobie ninja said:

i saw an advert the other day saying they were low on all tickets? maybe a marketing ploy...?? no glasto this year, could this have an affect on Bestival tickets?

The problem is that even when they're telling the truth, almost anything that any festival says regarding tickets has to be taken in context - and people outside the Festival itself rarely know the full context.

Low on all tickets? Faster selling than last year? Best ticket sales in 4 years? All of those are quite possible. But are those in absolute terms, or relative to the site capacity? Is the site being configured for the same capacity as last year?

Last year they were configured for 35,000, and while it wasn't sold out, I think they came quite close in the end. However given that they're now running it back to back with Camp Bestival, which last year had a much different arena layout some things will have to change. There's not much time to do any significant rebuild/reconfiguration, so it wouldn't surprise me if they've deliberately dropped the capacity a bit again this year in order to align the two a bit more. It'll be interesting to compare the site maps when they're out (assuming they're not, I've not actually looked yet).

On 7/16/2018 at 8:48 PM, tillyandthewall said:

Yeah we're down a couple of stages at least, Reggae Roots and Invaders of the Future haven't been announced yet.  Never mind, there's always plenty to do.

I'm not sure I actually saw more than a handful of people at Reggae Roots whenever I walked past last year.. Wouldn't be surprised if it was gone regardless of ticket sales. Invaders of the Future going would be a shame, but it did suffer a lot from sound bleed.

9 hours ago, stu_kent said:

For Bestival, it means they will have to provide ticket checking/searching/entry staff every day...

Don't think it'll make a significant (if any) difference to the staff numbers on gates tbh. They already sell weekend non-camping tickets, with people staying off site and coming and going as desired and so the gates already needed to be manned.

16 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Just had an email from Shinding festival offering a 20% discount code, so looks like Bestival are presumably offering discounted tickets to get the last little bump of sales in before it starts. 

That little discount code should help shift a few tickets for those who were umming and arrring 

• 2 weeks later...