Has anyone here ever met Jarvis Cocker of Pulp?

Bananaslug

More considerate than the corporeal version of the same events.

Edit: When he played Connect Festival in 2007(?) he stunk the place out so much that my Beastie Boys-obsessed pal overdid it on the peripheral comestibles and climbed the high fence in an attempt to escape the site......thereby missing Ad Rock and the lad's last ever Scottish gig.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

More considerate than the corporeal version of the same events.

lol

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Edit: When he played Connect Festival in 2007(?) he stunk the place out so much that my Beastie Boys-obsessed pal overdid it on the peripheral comestibles and climbed the high fence in an attempt to escape the site......thereby missing Ad Rock and the lad's last ever Scottish gig.

Them's the breaks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 5:18 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I've seen him on stage a couple of times. Only in Stonebridge was I close enough to touch him, which I didn't do.

I've also seen him on the telly many times.

I quite wanted to go to this bit from memory it was early evening and clashed with The National?  Was it good?  Do you remember any tunes?

I met him at Primavera 2011on the Saturday evening, they had played on the Thursday.  He was really nice, held my hand as I gave him some complicated speech about how big a fan I was, posed for a photo!

• Like 1

No, but I did go to the "legendary" Xmas 95 Brixton academy gig, and recently found a very young me (and mates) in the mosh pit on YouTube. Fucking a night. 

However I thought he was massively out of order over the Jackson thing. It was bullying plain and simple. At that stage Cocker was cool, and Jacko was not, and it was "home turf". No way he does that after Thriller, or in L. A. 

I know one of Jackos friends reasonably well: he hates Jarvis with a passion. Apparently Michael was more upset about "an artist disrespecting an artist" than anything. 

21 hours ago, Ohinever said:

No, but I did go to the "legendary" Xmas 95 Brixton academy gig, and recently found a very young me (and mates) in the mosh pit on YouTube. Fucking a night. 

However I thought he was massively out of order over the Jackson thing. It was bullying plain and simple. At that stage Cocker was cool, and Jacko was not, and it was "home turf". No way he does that after Thriller, or in L. A. 

I know one of Jackos friends reasonably well: he hates Jarvis with a passion. Apparently Michael was more upset about "an artist disrespecting an artist" than anything. 

Sorry but the MJ performance was absolutely disturbing and messed up. Regardless of why Jarvis did it. 

Plus..he was drunk and dared by Candida in the band to do something during the performance. 

Also..MJ falsely accused and I guess told kids to say Jarvis of beating up a bunch of kids directly as he went backstage. Those charges were immediately dropped when side b roll footage came out showing exactly what happened when jarvis was rushed offstage. Which showed he did not hurt any kids.  

Edited by Bananaslug

On 7/14/2018 at 8:52 AM, fatyeti24 said:

Earth Song > anything on This Is Hardcore, and Jarvo fucking knew it.

Hardcore was 2 years after the event. Lol

The Different Class and His n Hers albums by Pulp are legendary, superb classics. They didnt need to prove it to anyone at that point. They were big on their own merit. 

Earth Song is also far from the best MJ material. I enjoy his music and appreciate the immense effect and contribution to the music world,  but I prefer Pulp anyday over MJ. 

On 7/20/2018 at 5:24 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

As an aside.....

I said hello to Mani that weekend. He was playing tunes out of a caravan, or maybe ice cream van, and I tipped him the nod through the window. He was in quite a good mood. Unlike earlier in the evening when he got smacked in the coupon with a pint of lager during the Primal Scream set.

I’ve never met Jarvis Cocker.

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

The Jarvis stage invasion of Jacko was sheer heroism of the highest order. Fuck that messianic performance. 

Hello ZMG,

I accidentally down voted you, by searching who had down voted you. I have now made amends by up voting and giving a heart. All that said, I rather wish that Jarvis hadn't spoiled Jacko's performance. Is it really OK for an artist to publicly take the piss like that out of another artist, possibly for their own self publicity? What kind of performances will we receive if that were to take off as being acceptable? On the other hand, I've got to admit that it was finely done. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello ZMG,

I accidentally down voted you, by searching who had down voted you. I have now made amends by up voting and giving a heart. All that said, I rather wish that Jarvis hadn't spoiled Jacko's performance. Is it really OK for an artist to publicly take the piss like that out of another artist, possibly for their own self publicity? What kind of performances will we receive if that were to take off as being acceptable? On the other hand, I've got to admit that it was finely done. 

Jacko was doing his art.... Jarvis did his art.... Same difference right?

38 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Jacko was doing his art.... Jarvis did his art.... Same difference right?

Not at all ian, no. Jarvis was allocated a time to do his 'art' and Jacko was allocated a time to do his 'art'. You would appear to be involved in the festival game - do you firmly believe that there should be no time barriers allocated, or is it OK for the first act to just crack on and ignore the time allocated to other acts. A kind of 'Fuck em' approach?

I dont think Jarvis did it for publicity. He was drunk and young and on a drunken dare and yes...it was disrespectful but in a way so was MJ's. He didn't even do anything lol. Most didn't even know he did it. It happened so fast lol. Jarvis ran up there having no clue what to do..so he wafted a fart lol. It wasnt even shown on air on the original broadcast.  Lol

Was pretty innocent lol  

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yes if the performance is as offensive as that was. In my humble opinion.

In that case, I would need to know why you found the performance offensive? I thought it pleasingly dramatical, as well as musically and lyrically 'sound'. I am comparing it on the performance alone though, I will admit. Other areas of MJ's life may have been sordid - I don't know if they were or weren't.

6 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello ZMG,

Haha, the only reason I downvoted was because someone had upvoted it and I felt that was a bit too much honor. I hadn't realised the board is showing upvotes separately from downvotes now. It probably makes the downvote look more harsh than I intended. Sorry SMG.

Edited by marcoolio

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Not at all ian, no. Jarvis was allocated a time to do his 'art' and Jacko was allocated a time to do his 'art'. You would appear to be involved in the festival game - do you firmly believe that there should be no time barriers allocated, or is it OK for the first act to just crack on and ignore the time allocated to other acts. A kind of 'Fuck em' approach?

Of course there are there time slots for each act. Especially on TV where things are timed to the second. But yes, why not have the odd special surprise guest on stage, like Live Aid or the legends slot. 

Jarvis was breaking definitely the “rules”, but in this case support that breaking. 

I’ve often jumped on stages to “add” to a performance.