Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2019

Gnomicide

19 hours ago, eFestivals said:

anything is possible, although that's not what I've heard.

Personally I reckon Lauren Hill is beyond what WH budgets could stretch to. Think about it, against the sorts of acts they've had as headliner in recent years.

Sure...but could some sort of arrangement have been come to given she's prone to showing up late to banjax the Pyramid running order.

Though I suppose it's a moot point if you've heard that the Wu Tang headlining slot ain't nothin to fuck with.

8 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Either you're not aware of what his jokes were or you don't know what transphobia is.

Dead-naming a trans person is a deliberate way to deny them to own their identity, it's refusing to recognise somebody by their identified gender. It's the most open and shut textbook case of transphobia you'll find. More to the point, he equated being transgender with identifying as a fucking chimp. He's a transphobic piece of shit.

I've read the transcript of his comments again now and yes you are correct and i apologise. I do understand transphobia as its an issue which is particularly close to home (my son is FTM) and perhaps subconciously I gave Ricky a free pass, this has now been retracted though.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, eFestivals said:

anything is possible, although that's not what I've heard.

Personally I reckon Lauren Hill is beyond what WH budgets could stretch to. Think about it, against the sorts of acts they've had as headliner in recent years.

A few of the places shes playing aren't huge though. Place in Cork holds about 8k. 70 quid cheapest ticket granted. 

Just now, eFestivals said:

that's over £500k in ticket sales.

My guess would be that WH doesn't stretch as far as £50k for its headliners.

She would only get a 5th of that though? Maybe she'll take the hit knowing the Beeb will bump up her record sales. 

Amazing to me that more agents etc don't do that. Its guaranteed. 

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

She would only get a 5th of that though?

Doubt that very much.

There'll be venue costs that won't stretch as far as £50k, and then there'll be a promoter's cut (maybe 30% at the extreme [perhaps including venue fee?]? I've no idea), and the rest will be "her fee" (that her agent & manager will take a cut from, probably not more than 20% of 'her fee').

Which would leave her in excess of half.

(oh, I forgot sales tax on the initial amount, tho £500k is quite a big understatement of the total, so £500k is probably around right).

11 minutes ago, The Nal said:

She would only get a 5th of that though? Maybe she'll take the hit knowing the Beeb will bump up her record sales. 

Amazing to me that more agents etc don't do that. Its guaranteed. 

They don’t get that much from a bump in record sales. Particularly ones not actually promoting a new album. Gigs are where the money is so it’s bassackwards to take cheap gigs to try and squeeze money from physical music sales.

10 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Either you're not aware of what his jokes were or you don't know what transphobia is.

Dead-naming a trans person is a deliberate way to deny them to own their identity, it's refusing to recognise somebody by their identified gender. It's the most open and shut textbook case of transphobia you'll find. More to the point, he equated being transgender with identifying as a fucking chimp. He's a transphobic piece of shit.

Come on, man. He's a comedian. You may not find him funny but it's a very slippery slope if we start dictating what comedians can and cannot make fun of. You could make any joke about anything and there would be someone out there who finds it offensive. You want to live in a world where we can't make jokes? Free speech trumps everything - including peoples feelings. 

People got really offended by Gervais jokes on trans people, well one in particular but comedians usually do go to town on anyone. As he said hes joked about aids, dead babies, paedophiles/sexual abuse, hes not exactly known for holding back on anything and I dont think comedians should tbh.

Theres a difference between jokes and expressing things as a true opinion and if your willing to accept jokes that could offend one group of people then your a hypocite if you wont accept them for another. 

IMO its up to you to draw your own line and then simply dont watch or be able to differentiate and not take it so seriously. 

I think if your really offended by that then you should probably give stand up a miss over all cause I dont think its even as bad as a lot of other routines Ive seen. 

RE: Chance The Rapper.

With Lovebox announcing him (but not as a UK exclusive, whereas with Brockhampton they did) - he's gotta be likely for the farm now?

The only other places you could see him possibly going are either APE for the final headliner (unlikely), or the TBA under Cardi B for Parklife (again unlikely, as you'd think he'd headline). TRNSMT (again I'd say doubtful)?

Unless he's doing his own shows, but I would've thought Lovebox would still bill him as a 'UK Festival exclusive' in that case.

Edited by ConorC

30 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

agents aren't usually getting a cut of physical sales.

I suspect that plays it's part in how things happen, or not.

Oh course what I mean is agents, management etc aren't trying to convince their acts to play the festival given the jump in record sales. A few seem to give it the skip due to the lower fee which seems very short sighted. 

26 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Come on, man. He's a comedian. You may not find him funny but it's a very slippery slope if we start dictating what comedians can and cannot make fun of. You could make any joke about anything and there would be someone out there who finds it offensive. You want to live in a world where we can't make jokes? Free speech trumps everything - including peoples feelings. 

I always find myself flopping back and forth with this argument. Comedy is offside, comedy is questioning, we find things funny because theres a shock factor.... 

But

If you need to marginalize a group of people who are fighting for basic human rights in order to get there... are you really all that funny? 

The oversensitivity on issues in society right now... although it may be annoying it is also necessary. People can only get shit on for so long... luckily it's so much easier now for people to have a voice. I dont think it's a bad thing that people are using that voice to criticize things that they perceive as offside.... just the same way I dont really think it's a bad thing that a comedian goes offside... 

Maybe one day everyone will have the same level of basic human rights and then no comedy topic will be off limits (being genuine, not facticious).

Edited by MetaKate
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Might have missed what others have said, but I don't see how this is a freedom of speech issue? This isn't people silencing him/asking for him to be locked up for his opinions, it's him saying something people deem to be shitty, and people calling him out over it, freedom of speech =/= freedom from consequences 

30 minutes ago, chatty said:

People got really offended by Gervais jokes on trans people, well one in particular but comedians usually do go to town on anyone. As he said hes joked about aids, dead babies, paedophiles/sexual abuse, hes not exactly known for holding back on anything and I dont think comedians should tbh.

Theres a difference between jokes and expressing things as a true opinion and if your willing to accept jokes that could offend one group of people then your a hypocite if you wont accept them for another. 

IMO its up to you to draw your own line and then simply dont watch or be able to differentiate and not take it so seriously. 

I think if your really offended by that then you should probably give stand up a miss over all cause I dont think its even as bad as a lot of other routines Ive seen. 

What an ignorant viewpoint. If you don't see that it's unfunny bulling to mock one of the most systematically oppressed groups of people in the world, ridiculing their entire existence, at a time when the world's most powerful nation, the nation he lives and made the documentary in, is trying to legislate to make their lives difficult, then I really don't know what to say to you.

44 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Come on, man. He's a comedian. You may not find him funny but it's a very slippery slope if we start dictating what comedians can and cannot make fun of. You could make any joke about anything and there would be someone out there who finds it offensive. You want to live in a world where we can't make jokes? Free speech trumps everything - including peoples feelings

You clearly don't know what free speech is.

12 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Might have missed what others have said, but I don't see how this is a freedom of speech issue? This isn't people silencing him/asking for him to be locked up for his opinions, it's him saying something people deem to be shitty, and people calling him out over it, freedom of speech =/= freedom from consequences 

Quite

free_speech.png

• Upvote 1