Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2019

Gnomicide

5 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Been thinking about this sort of thing this morning, after I only just discovered that Alexander Jodorowsky said a lot of stuff back in the day about how much he loved raping. I think it's in our nature to want to deny that people important to us may be pieces of shit, if you've connected with a piece of art for a long time and it's important to you then it's unpleasant to think that the person on the other end of that art had done evil things. Add on top of that, if you're black in America and lived your life with most of your experience being that the white hegemony does everything it can to keep you down and make you feel like shit, there's an extra layer of importance when a black person rises up to do exceptional things beyond what anybody else has done. And then on top of that there's the doubt that the white establishment who'll shoot unarmed poor black people without valid reason and get away with it would act in good faith when dealing with the most visible and influential black figures; should you trust them when they say the most celebrated black sportsperson murdered his wife, or that the most celebrated black comedian raped scores of women, or that the most celebrated black musician sexually abused children.

This Quincy Jones thing doesn't even involve Michael, you can engage with the music that you love without having to deal with the problematic person. I'd go if I had the money and lived in London. This country lionises Winston Churchill, Woody Allen is still out there making films, Bryan Singer's films are winning prestigious awards, prominent transphobes like Ricky Gervais and Graham Linehan still get work, why should I draw the line differently with Michael Jackson?

Does this mean I can still listen to Brand New?

31 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Does this mean I can still listen to Brand New?

Do you feel like you can still listen to Brand New? If you're not turned off by what Jesse did and you're not providing him with money and resources to get away with what he did then yeah there's nothing wrong with listening to Brand New on your own time. Depends how you personally feel about it, I can listen to Michael Jackson and enjoy it completely for the music, but right now I don't feel like I can enjoy Morrissey or Hookworms at the moment.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Been thinking about this sort of thing this morning, after I only just discovered that Alexander Jodorowsky said a lot of stuff back in the day about how much he loved raping. I think it's in our nature to want to deny that people important to us may be pieces of shit, if you've connected with a piece of art for a long time and it's important to you then it's unpleasant to think that the person on the other end of that art had done evil things. Add on top of that, if you're black in America and lived your life with most of your experience being that the white hegemony does everything it can to keep you down and make you feel like shit, there's an extra layer of importance when a black person rises up to do exceptional things beyond what anybody else has done. And then on top of that there's the doubt that the white establishment who'll shoot unarmed poor black people without valid reason and get away with it would act in good faith when dealing with the most visible and influential black figures; should you trust them when they say the most celebrated black sportsperson murdered his wife, or that the most celebrated black comedian raped scores of women, or that the most celebrated black musician sexually abused children.

This Quincy Jones thing doesn't even involve Michael, you can engage with the music that you love without having to deal with the problematic person. I'd go if I had the money and lived in London. This country lionises Winston Churchill, Woody Allen is still out there making films, Bryan Singer's films are winning prestigious awards, prominent transphobes like Ricky Gervais and Graham Linehan still get work, why should I draw the line differently with Michael Jackson?

A bit harsh on Ricky Gervais I think. I felt kinda apprehensive when he recently joked about Caitlin jenna but i don't feel they were transphobic. Imho obvs

10 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Sometimes bad people are genuinely talented and youll find that in most things over the course of history. 

Its just the way it is. I guess its up to your conscience on whether you can go along with it or not. Sometimes you need to dig into things to make your mind up. 

Example, Im a Tyson fan, can watch him fight and really enjoy it but hes no doubt done some messed up shit and most famously was jailed for rape. Now Ive read into that and Im not fully confident he did do it but Im not fully confident he didnt either. I just try and seperate the fighter from the person. 

I can watch Chris Benoit wrestle and enjoy it yet he killed his own wife and kid and thats up there with the best of grade A pricks. 

I think Adam Johnson is a scumbag yet I can still listen to Elvis, Bowie and Led Zep and not really dislike them and they did worse than Johnson on paper. 

I could go on but you get the point. I guess we can all be capable of hypocrasy and also sometimes different circumstances alsonhave an impact. 

Good people can do bad things as well, it happens, were all human and were all fallable. 

Tbh Im not fully up to knowledge on Jacksons paedo accusations, dont know the full story of the cases, started reading once but seemed like a clusterfuck. I always got the impression he suffered serious mental health issues, that obviously doesnt make it right if he did do the things hes accused of but who knows, maybes he was taken advantage of and put himself in situations to be so by being to soft. 

Gone on a bit of a ramble, guess my point is everyones probably done some bad shit in their life, sometimes you gotta either forgive them if they turned thibgs around or done more so to balance the bad out or other times seperate the artist from the person. You cant go around shunning everything created by someone who did something you disagree with otherwise youd end up shunning everyone. There are of course exceptions to that as well tbf. 

3 hours ago, zico martin said:

A bit harsh on Ricky Gervais I think. I felt kinda apprehensive when he recently joked about Caitlin jenna but i don't feel they were transphobic. Imho obvs

Either you're not aware of what his jokes were or you don't know what transphobia is.

Dead-naming a trans person is a deliberate way to deny them to own their identity, it's refusing to recognise somebody by their identified gender. It's the most open and shut textbook case of transphobia you'll find. More to the point, he equated being transgender with identifying as a fucking chimp. He's a transphobic piece of shit.