Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2019

Gnomicide

37 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It's not even Coldplay you need to keep an eye out for, it's those sneaky Los Unidades. Coming to a Stormzy Pyramid set near you soon...

I don't like these small projects. They suggest few select people clamber into a van together, straight after a Pyramid headline show, then go off somewhere more intimate; then come back to Glastonbury with a new exclusive, little, band. An arrangement only understandable by those few. Even the name, Los Unidades suggests a private, language between a few individuals. These bands are everywhere now so Glastonbury will probably be full of them.

29 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Shows the mental stumbling block that people have over white men with guitars, cos his music is way more straightforwardly mainstream pop than Beyonce rapping in Spanish or screaming at Jay-Z to suck her balls.

I 100% agree. Despite using loops, his music is totally vanilla, whereas Beyonce has been making unusual  music hiding in the mailstream for decades.

38 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Shows the mental stumbling block that people have over white men with guitars, cos his music is way more straightforwardly mainstream pop than Beyonce rapping in Spanish or screaming at Jay-Z to suck her balls.

When people complain about pop at Glastonbury, I don't think it means that the tunes are a bit poppy (like Sheeran's self-penned self-performed tunes), but when the performer is just a pretty puppet singing what their record company give them to sell to gullible kids. 

Edit : I'm not saying that's Beyonce tho, I don't know enough about her. I'm talking generally. 

Edited by Little Andy

9 minutes ago, zero000 said:

See also  this: 

Wow, imagine having to spend lots of your time answering questions like those. Hats off to her for dealing with it so courteously. Some blokes in the 21st century definitely need a surprise willy punch. 

Yep she writes and co produces a lot of her own stuff and has a huge team of people behind her aswell, as is the way with big US pop stars these days. Shes worked really hard and seems like a nice person and a decent singer. Fair play to her, 

The problem is that her music is fucking terrible. 

I'm not into this desperate scramble to listen to "now" acts to prove my anti gammonness or up my leftie credentials or whatever. Using someone like her to do that is more patronising than flat out saying her music fairly bog standard US pop and shit. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I think criticism of manufactured pop can be gender related but doesn’t have to be and should be possible without necessarily being  ‘gammon’.

There are lots of things that determine whether I like an act or not and the ability to write a song, to have something important to say and to not feel like the creation of a business may be some of them (though far from all). I don’t think that’s wrong. I wouldn’t dismiss an act on those grounds alone (saw Katy Perry, will see Kylie, went nowhere near Ed Bloody Sheeran) but they are factors.

Sure. Plenty of pop music is garbage.  So's plenty of music in any genre. But for the moment at least the UK festival scene's cultural dial is drifting slowly away from indie and rock music into something less homogenous.  Arguably rockism's focus on authenticity and honesty and craft - at the expense of the innovation, fun and experimentation that the pop world is more happy to embrace - has been what's made it so moribund.  

7 hours ago, DJL said:

I have mixed feelings about Childish Gambino. I loved community, enjoyed Solo and would be up for watching Atlanta... but I don’t think they have anything to do with his music or relevance towards the top of the bill. 

I decided his early stuff wasn’t to my taste years ago and haven’t actively listened since... but This is America reached me and is exceptional.

Certainly not a headliner over here and not the most deserving sub on music alone imo (though i’d much prefer him to Liam or LDR personally) but I’d watch his Coachella set and be open to it. A bit of diversity at the top of the bill, in every sense, is generally welcome...

Pretty much same for me too, although in my case his earlier stuff passed me by.  

Also agree that his relevance as a headliner there is very different to here, for a host of reasons.  Would also rather see him than Liam, but understand that Liam has a strong appeal for some folks.  I saw Oasis last time when they were still together, when they were good but not at their best and I'd just rather see someone different.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sure. Plenty of pop music is garbage.  So's plenty of music in any genre. But for the moment at least the UK festival scene's cultural dial is drifting slowly away from indie and rock music into something less homogenous.  Arguably rockism's focus on authenticity and honesty and craft - at the expense of the innovation, fun and experimentation that the pop world is more happy to embrace - has been what's made it so moribund.  

That’s fair. Authenticity, honesty and craft aren’t bad but fun has its place too. There should be  innovation and experimentation in every genre and indie-rock (at headliner level at least) has definitely been lacking in these of late. 

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

Yep she writes and co produces a lot of her own stuff and has a huge team of people behind her aswell, as is the way with big US pop stars these days. Shes worked really hard and seems like a nice person and a decent singer. Fair play to her, 

I'm not into this desperate scramble to listen to "now" acts to prove my anti gammonness or up my leftie credentials or whatever. Using someone like her to do that is more patronising than flat out saying her music fairly bog standard US pop and shit. 

Ariana Grande’s music does very little for me at all, but then I’m hardly her target audience. I agree with your last sentence wholeheartedly, but I certainly wouldn’t dismiss her music as ‘fucking terrible’. 

Glastonbury’s always ‘embraced ‘popular’ artists along with the more esoteric stuff, and as long as they avoid the overly manufactured acts that seem to exist simply to extract money from pre-teens/teens, then I’m sure there’s a place on the farm for the likes of Grande.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I 100% agree. Despite using loops, his music is totally vanilla, whereas Beyonce has been making unusual  music hiding in the mailstream for decades.

I wouldn’t disagree with that at all, but the Neil Lonsdales of this world will still find a white boy with a guitar much more palatable than a pop star who just sings and dances round a bit.

I like grande. I've never knowingly  heard a tune other than a cover of Dont dream its over with Miley Cyrus & it was good... but for putting on the concert in town after what happened - she deserves a lot of credit. 

I couldnt give a shit if she's manufactured or not - she handled it with pure class.

I'd watch her if she was on.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Nal said:

Yeah I wouldn't class it as fucking terrible either. Just to look at one point, how many females pop stars on here that are newer we'll say do people actually like or give any credit to?

8 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I like grande. I've never knowingly  heard a tune other than a cover of Dont dream its over with Miley Cyrus & it was good... but for putting on the concert in town after what happened - she deserves a lot of credit. 

I couldnt give a shit if she's manufactured or not - she handled it with pure class.

I'd watch her if she was on.

I don't like a huge range of her music but I've a lot of respect for her, I'd defo go and see her as it would be a moment. I think Neil's comparisons with Westlife and Spice Girls were actually quite ignorant to be honest.

6 hours ago, DJL said:

I think criticism of manufactured pop can be gender related but doesn’t have to be and should be possible without necessarily being  ‘gammon’

How can we have manufactured pop artists at Glastonbury when we voted to leave?

10 hours ago, The Nal said:

She's been through the ringer over the last few years as well. First her concert in Manchester attacked and then her ex boyfriend committed suicide last year, can't remember his name some American hip hop artist. I've no interest in her music and I don't think it has much artistic merit either but she's tough as old boots and I have a lot of respect for her for the way she came out of all that upright. She's only 21 or 22 or something like that. She's a good role model for all those youg kids who love her music and there aren't many of them around these days.

Edited by Madyaker

I think Ariana is worth more than just a 'pop star' label.  I'm not a huge fan tbh but she also doesn't make me cringe like katy, pink, bieber. 

If nothing else her voice is phenomenal. 

I'm curious though... If she did show up on the farm, I think she'd draw too big of a crowd to be anywhere but the pyramid. What timeslot does that put her in?