Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2019

Gnomicide

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

He wasn’t very good in 2011 tbf. Although I would have though the only people listening to him in 2011 would be people who knew his acting or standup so you’re weird mate.

Hmm I thought I was bumping The Worst Guys around about that time, but turns out that didn't come out until 2 years later. Also, now I'm looking, I've not really listened to anything he'd done in 2011. Don't event know how I knew about him then.

4 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I'd say Arianna Grande is FAR from a likely replacement for Macca, and even further from being booked as a headliner at all.

I'd put The Killers, Mumford, Arctics and a few others well ahead of her for replacement bookings if required.

I wish we’d just stop it with this Macca replacement rumours all because of one random person tweeting something that would be pretty big news and only she’s gone public with… for two reasons

Firstly, it’d be devastating if there was any truth to it, and there seems to be no further substance since it came up….

But secondly (and for some New Year’s optimism - and apologies if this ‘west coast’ theory hasn’t been addressed elsewhere on here)…

… If you look at the gap in those Macca US dates, there’s a May 23-June 26 swing that concludes with a bit of a west coast finale of San Diego (June 22) and Phoenix (26th). When it starts back up again in the US on July 10, it’s back on the west coast again (San Jose and then the big LA Dodger Stadium gig). If there were to be the additional US dates (the ones we fear ruins the Glastonbury dream) to be added in the late June period over Glastonbury and into early July, it seems that he would be continuing on with his western swing or moving eastwards to hit the rest of the country. The fact that he’s playing LA-Dodger Stadium on July 13, just 90 mins up the road from Petco Park in San Diego 21 days later seems to me that the tour is not moving further eastward in that June 27-July 9 gap, and then suddenly swinging back to Southern California again (LA Dodger Stadium). He’s either on holiday for a bit or he’s playing Glastonbury. There’s a lot of the biggest US markets on the east that just seems like he would hit at some point that he hasn’t announced yet and that would take far more than the 2 weeks to cover in the current (June 27-July 9 gap) before heading back to Southern California again.  

Optimistic for Macca 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Who is "random woman"? What "random women"?  Why "random woman"?  Is a woman even random?

Has anyone put out a trace on her or is she just a sleeper agent from Camp Banjo?

my reference was 'random person', wasn't making it out to be 'random woman'

8 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I still have no idea who or what Childish Gambino is. I mean, I could Google it but where's the fun in that?

At least I've heard of him I suppose. I had a look on the replies under the Coachella Twitter announcement. 99% of replies are about Black Pink or BlackPink or #BLACKPINK. Absolutely clueless on that one. 

I honestly had to check the date of these posts for the folks who don't know either the names CG or Donald Glover, seeing all the different high profile projects he's been involved in over the last few years - Community, Atlanta, Solo, hosting SNL amonst a myriad of other things.

If you've avoided the song and video for This is America during the last year then you've done exceedingly well - just because it's been so blinking prevalent

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/may/12/the-rise-of-donald-glover-childish-gambino

Usually I hear you folks referring to bands without me having much of a clue what you're on about, so for once it's nice to feel that even though I'm older than the majority of you I have heard of one thing :P

Edited by clarkete

54 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I honestly had to check the date of these posts for the folks who don't know either the names CG or Donald Glover, seeing all the different high profile projects he's been involved in over the last few years - Community, Atlanta, Solo, hosting SNL amonst a myriad of other things.

If you've avoided the song and video for This is America during the last year then you've done exceedingly well - just because it's been so blinking prevalent

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/may/12/the-rise-of-donald-glover-childish-gambino

Usually I hear you folks referring to bands without me having much of a clue what you're on about, so for once it's nice to feel that even though I'm older than the majority of you I have heard of one thing :P

I know the name but only from here.

No idea on Community or Atlanta, I'm aware of SNL but it's not shown in the UK so wouldn't have a clue who hosted it.

I've not yet seen Solo but am crap on actors names so wouldn't know who he was anyway.

Where do you see music videos now? Surely no-one watches MTV anymore? If I go to YouTube it's for stuff I'm looking for so not going to see anything random.

So all in all, easily avoided :D

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

No matter how many times he walks into a room on fire with a stack of pizzas, he ain't headlining the G on the strength of one single.

Even on 6music I've heard more than just that one, but nobody would seriously suggest he should headline in the uk ?

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

No idea on Community or Atlanta, I'm aware of SNL but it's not shown in the UK so wouldn't have a clue who hosted it.

I've not yet seen Solo but am crap on actors names so wouldn't know who he was anyway.

Where do you see music videos now? Surely no-one watches MTV anymore? If I go to YouTube it's for stuff I'm looking for so not going to see anything random.

I saw the first few series of community a few years ago and found them pretty blooming funny and he was very good. 

Solo was more fun than some of their other recent films and a bit more enjoyable than some of the reviews led me to believe. 

I've seen a few bits of SNL on YouTube in the last year or two, as I particularly enjoyed some of the ones covering current affairs. He did a fairly funny song as part of his shtick. 

For This is America I've seen it on YouTube, but also featured on uk TV, but only late at night due to the content. I've also stumbled across articles here and there breaking down the content of the vid and interviewing the choreographer (who grew up in the uk). I think much of the content is particularly pertinent to the states, their history and some of their current issues. It got 85m views in a week, but if you want to depress yourself you can compare that to the massive numbers of some of the sh*t* on this list... (It should be their top 100 - it plays the first one and if you click in top left it shows the other detritus)

Edited by clarkete

4 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I know the name but only from here.

So all in all, easily avoided :D

To be fair despite both being great neither Community or Atlanta (which I think is the best show on TV just now) are very big in the UK and he's not had any major hits here beside This is America  and Redbone (which only really became a hit after featuring in the film Get Out). In fact before last year he was probably most famous here for beating Ed Sheeran to a best album and record Grammy nomination. 

Edited by addicted2noise

11 hours ago, tevaburger said:

I wish we’d just stop it with this Macca replacement rumours all because of one random person tweeting something that would be pretty big news and only she’s gone public with… for two reasons

Firstly, it’d be devastating if there was any truth to it, and there seems to be no further substance since it came up….

But secondly (and for some New Year’s optimism - and apologies if this ‘west coast’ theory hasn’t been addressed elsewhere on here)…

… If you look at the gap in those Macca US dates, there’s a May 23-June 26 swing that concludes with a bit of a west coast finale of San Diego (June 22) and Phoenix (26th). When it starts back up again in the US on July 10, it’s back on the west coast again (San Jose and then the big LA Dodger Stadium gig). If there were to be the additional US dates (the ones we fear ruins the Glastonbury dream) to be added in the late June period over Glastonbury and into early July, it seems that he would be continuing on with his western swing or moving eastwards to hit the rest of the country. The fact that he’s playing LA-Dodger Stadium on July 13, just 90 mins up the road from Petco Park in San Diego 21 days later seems to me that the tour is not moving further eastward in that June 27-July 9 gap, and then suddenly swinging back to Southern California again (LA Dodger Stadium). He’s either on holiday for a bit or he’s playing Glastonbury. There’s a lot of the biggest US markets on the east that just seems like he would hit at some point that he hasn’t announced yet and that would take far more than the 2 weeks to cover in the current (June 27-July 9 gap) before heading back to Southern California again.  

Optimistic for Macca 

This checks out. Macca is still happening. 

In other news, theres verified rumors of post malone, the avett brothers, the lumineers, and girltalk showing up at bonnaroo. 

I hope the Avett brothers cross the pond for glasto. 

So, so far, the possible line-up consists of Arianna Grande instead of Paul McCartney and Oasis, but with Liam and co, being replaced by lots of girls playing with scissors. There also seems to be a possibility of Miles Kane playing instead of the Arctic Monkeys; and Thom Yorke performing instead of Radiohead. All I can say is; I don't have a ticket but if I had one I would regret it!!!!!!!

14 minutes ago, stt11 said:

So, so far, the possible line-up consists of Arianna Grande instead of Paul McCartney and Oasis, but with Liam and co, being replaced by lots of girls playing with scissors. There also seems to be a possibility of Miles Kane playing instead of the Arctic Monkeys; and Thom Yorke performing instead of Radiohead. All I can say is; I don't have a ticket but if I had one I would regret it!!!!!!!

Oasis are not reforming next year . 

If miles Kane is there he will be a non headliner.

Thom Yorke will probably be on the park stage.

Radio head are not touring

• Upvote 1

Well O.K. But it all, still, seems a bit samey samey to me. As long as Coldplay aren't playing I'm perfectly happy, to be honest with you. So it still might be worth trying to buy a ticket. No-one seems to have mentioned them too much on here; so fingers crossed. Then again, it being Glastonbury, I suppose it doesn't matter who's playing, there's always somewhere to go. :party:

On 1/3/2019 at 10:14 AM, dentalplan said:

Pop seems that bit more culturally important now so that’s probably why. @Bradders did a good post about this thing; it’s not that festivals are just booking shameless crap like Take That or anonymous mass unit shifters like Jess Glynne and Rag’n’Bone Man to headline - guessing Rick Astley in the 80’s is in one of these categories - but it’s acts who people actually care about instead and have some cultural cachet.

Wtf is this son are you 55?

To be fair to 90s Take That, if you look at the writing credits, Barlow was doing the "real musician" thing far, far better than most contemporary chart acts.

19 minutes ago, stt11 said:

Well O.K. But it all, still, seems a bit samey samey to me. As long as Coldplay aren't playing I'm perfectly happy, to be honest with you. So it still might be worth trying to buy a ticket. No-one seems to have mentioned them too much on here; so fingers crossed. Then again, it being Glastonbury, I suppose it doesn't matter who's playing, there's always somewhere to go. :party:

It's not even Coldplay you need to keep an eye out for, it's those sneaky Los Unidades. Coming to a Stormzy Pyramid set near you soon...

On 1/3/2019 at 2:44 PM, eFestivals said:

Nope, you're not getting what i'm driving at. It's not about what i like and it's not about tribalism.

Cos the guilty pleasures I'm meaning are the ones we know are crap but (for whatever reason) have hooked us anyway. 

Booking Grande today would be the (sort of) equivalent of booking Westlife or the Spice Girls in 1998 (or whenever?). That Westlife or Spice Girls booking didn't happen.

The facts that a Grande booking is happening now is noteable, but is it taking festivals (and the music biz that big name festivals help to drive) somewhere better or worse?

I'd say worse. There's a reason why V Festival died.

Bit harsh. She's a far better vocalist than anyone from the above acts.

On 1/3/2019 at 3:15 PM, Hugh Jass said:

V went all in on pop though.

If Arianna Grande was to headline this (yes, that's right, THIS) year then she'd be the first "popstar" to headline since Beyoncé in 2011*, that's an eight year gap. Bey hardly opened the floodgates did she?

*Deliberately omitting Adele here as she's a slightly different case.

Surely Ed Sheeran is a pop star?

6 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

To be fair despite both being great neither Community or Atlanta (which I think is the best show on TV just now) are very big in the UK and he's not had any major hits here beside This is America  and Redbone (which only really became a hit after featuring in the film Get Out). In fact before last year he was probably most famous here for beating Ed Sheeran to a best album and record Grammy nomination. 

I have mixed feelings about Childish Gambino. I loved community, enjoyed Solo and would be up for watching Atlanta... but I don’t think they have anything to do with his music or relevance towards the top of the bill. 

I decided his early stuff wasn’t to my taste years ago and haven’t actively listened since... but This is America reached me and is exceptional.

Certainly not a headliner over here and not the most deserving sub on music alone imo (though i’d much prefer him to Liam or LDR personally) but I’d watch his Coachella set and be open to it. A bit of diversity at the top of the bill, in every sense, is generally welcome...