Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2019

Gnomicide

Interesting debate about Grande headlining. I think pop should be represented more at glastonbury currently. Trends in music change, look at hair rock bands of the 80's to grunge to indie. But pop has sustained itself over all of that period, be it organic or manufactured. 

We have a hype around Kylie playing, and I'm sure not many would dismiss Madonna being a headliner. Kylie was manufactured but went on to find her own path...could say pretty much same for Gaga and the Beatles. So why not book a pop artist who is in the moment, they may surprise you and not have a career that stays on one trajectory.

There are 3 nights to headline, giving one to pop every now and then will not kill the festival, but it will draw the attention for future attendees. By then the cycle of trend may have returned to guitars though...who knows?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

But the people booked also have to want to play - Corbyn loves to preach to the converted (who doesn't) but the bolder performers are always ones who will have a go at converting a crowd that isn't theirs. That is what delivers a good Pyramid headliner - can they convert someone. Adele is a good example of this. Metallica are not.

I find the Adele/Metallica comparison rather unfair really. Glastonbury’s crowd is far more inline with Adele’s demographic to begin with than it is Metallica’s. I really don’t think she had much winning over to do.

Metallica hardly went out and botched their performance, they’re one of the tightest live acts around. I’m not sure what they could have done outside of playing a load of covers, the audience just isn’t there.

Edited by Mouseboy11

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Nope, i don't have an example cos nothing's coming to mind.

I definitely don't work on the basis that I'm the arbiter of taste, tho I do like to think there's a difference between artistic-musical-merit & catchy-as-product.

I think this is maybe where, imo, you're missing the point about Ariana. I'm not particularly a fan but regardless of whether or not you reduce her songs to "catchy pop" if you listen to her sing live you'd be hard pushed to deny that she has real talent and a voice that's arguably one of the strongest out there. 

Yes her fanbase is typically young but as someone on here said earlier, she's slap bang in the middle of the zeitgeist and actually when she speaks out what she says resonates with a lot of people. I actually think she'd be a really smart booking. Insane voice, catchy music that a huge amount of people like, and at the pinnacle of the "strong independent woman/girl boss" etc. movement that's got huge momentum at the moment. I don't get what the festival would lose by booking her?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Bit of a moot point anyway as there's no way she's getting booked to headline this year. The fest are already taking a punt on one headliner being the next big thing. 

Unless this whole rumour about the deal for Macca falling through is true, then she's one of the most likely replacements, alongside Gaga. There doesn't seem to be many other alternatives out there that could do it if it isn't Macca.

I might have missed it being mentioned in amongst the Ariana Grande chat but I've just noticed that Liam Gallagher was announced for a festival in Slovakia a couple of weeks after Glastonbury. I know we're all expecting him anyway but I think that's the first confirmation of him being active next summer. 

10 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Unless this whole rumour about the deal for Macca falling through is true, then she's one of the most likely replacements, alongside Gaga. There doesn't seem to be many other alternatives out there that could do it if it isn't Macca.

Can't be true, he's self confirming on Lauren Laverne on Monday #believe

8 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

I might have missed it being mentioned in amongst the Ariana Grande chat but I've just noticed that Liam Gallagher was announced for a festival in Slovakia a couple of weeks after Glastonbury. I know we're all expecting him anyway but I think that's the first confirmation of him being active next summer. 

Shit.

I wonder if he’s taken the Eavis-Dewey family on that holiday yet. :lol:

16 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I find the Adele/Metallica comparison rather unfair really. Glastonbury’s crowd is far more inline with Adele’s demographic to begin with than it is Metallica’s. I really don’t think she had much winning over to do.

Metallica hardly went out and botched their performance, they’re one of the tightest live acts around. I’m not sure what they could have done outside of playing a load of covers, the audience just isn’t there.

I think it was in terms of the Adele reaction from some of the old timers and on these boards - i.e. she wasn't right, too mainstream etc etc. Metallica got a reaction too but I don't think it was as pointed. Poppier acts will always have the ability to wring some emotion out of the hardest crowd if they haven't been bottled off in the first five minutes whereas Metallica are emotionally one note (Nothing Else Matters aside)

I myself was really looking forward to Metallica as I've seen them in my youth and loved them but wandered off halfway through whereas Adele was a properly uplifting experience.

Bottom line: I want some sort of emotional reaction to a headliner - and that needs to be mostly uplifting or if it is sad then it needs to be a certain sort of nostalgia tinged sadness. I want to feel something, to connect if I'm going a bit pretentious with it.

10 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Is Ariana Grande really one of the most likely replacements though? Glastonbury may throw in a non-rock/indie act as a headliner every now and then, but this decade they currently average less than 1 guitar band per year. I don't see them booking two acts outside of their norm in the same year. I'm sure they'll find some rock/indie to come in and do it IF Macca is gone. Remember The Who cancelling a show to come in and do it? 

I'd personally love Gaga to come in IF we're looking at replacements (they should have tried to book her in the first place really. Maybe they did?), but in my opinion the idea of that, or Grande, is just fanciful and not in keeping with the past actions of the Eavii. Honestly, I don't think we're talking about the same festival if you really think either of them will come in as a replacement. I reckon the Eavii thought Stormzy was a risky booking and wanted two safe bets to join him at the top of the bill. 

Just my two cents.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sisco said:

The only info of Macca pulling out was from Twitter lady who said the person they contacted as a replacement wasn’t someone who people would expect and wouldn’t be happy with....

Grande does fit that tbf

But after that came out Neil put the feelers out for info and got nothing back to support the twitter info. As far as I know nothing's changed since then. 

56 minutes ago, jparx said:

Is Ariana Grande really one of the most likely replacements though? Glastonbury may throw in a non-rock/indie act as a headliner every now and then, but this decade they currently average less than 1 guitar band per year. I don't see them booking two acts outside of their norm in the same year. I'm sure they'll find some rock/indie to come in and do it IF Macca is gone. Remember The Who cancelling a show to come in and do it? 

I'd personally love Gaga to come in IF we're looking at replacements (they should have tried to book her in the first place really. Maybe they did?), but in my opinion the idea of that, or Grande, is just fanciful and not in keeping with the past actions of the Eavii. Honestly, I don't think we're talking about the same festival if you really think either of them will come in as a replacement. I reckon the Eavii thought Stormzy was a risky booking and wanted two safe bets to join him at the top of the bill. 

Just my two cents.

What other headline stature guitar acts are available though? The 1975 are at R+L, Arctics maybe but they have no European dates announced for the summer and would be on the second summer tour of an album that was a bit of a damp squib in terms of mainstream impact. The Strokes would be met with a collective meh given they haven't realised anything in ages and haven't exactly been all that relevant for years. Mumfords and Florence are both at Werchter on the Saturday, which is the date everyone assumes Macca is playing. 

There's seemingly not many major indie/rock acts touring Europe in the summer, process of elimination either means they would need to either give a major bump to a Tame Impala/Foals sized band or alternatively branch out into another genre again, such as a Grande or Gaga.

Obviously this means nothing as I imagine Macca is still nailed on, but realistically if he does drop out there isn't an abundance of alternatives.

56 minutes ago, jparx said:

Just my two cents.

What other headline stature guitar acts are available though? The 1975 are at R+L, Arctics maybe but they have no European dates announced for the summer and would be on the second summer tour of an album that was a bit of a damp squib in terms of mainstream impact. The Strokes would be met with a collective meh given they haven't realised anything in ages and haven't exactly been all that relevant for years. Mumfords and Florence are both at Werchter on the Saturday, which is the date everyone assumes Macca is playing. 

There's seemingly not many major indie/rock acts touring Europe in the summer, process of elimination either means they would need to either give a major bump to a Tame Impala/Foals sized band or alternatively branch out into another genre again, such as a Grande or Gaga.

Obviously this means nothing as I imagine Macca is still nailed on, but realistically if he does drop out there isn't an abundance of alternatives.

11 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

How about Tool

Something that's just occurred to me off the back of the Coachella announcement; I believe the info we had was that the Eavii's preference was for Childish Gambino to sub Stormzy with Liam subbing one of the other days. Now he's headlining Coachella does that make it less likely he'd accept a slot subbing a fairly small act?

20 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Tame Impala could be a shout. If things do fall through, I'd bet on Arctics, or maybe Liam being bumped up. Maybe even the Chems if they are indeed headlining the Other.

We're obviously in a very hypothetical discussion, and I would rather them go for something different as a replacement and I do agree there isn't a huge number of rock/indie acts that seem like obvious choices. I just look at the past three replacements and two were a case of bumping an act up, and all acts were rock/indie (Flo, The Who and Metallica) and I think they will either grab someone who currently looks out of the picture (Arctics) or bump someone else up on the lineup. There's also a chance they will set a new precedent, so who knows? They just tend to go with something safe and familiar when they need to replace a headliner.

14 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Something that's just occurred to me off the back of the Coachella announcement; I believe the info we had was that the Eavii's preference was for Childish Gambino to sub Stormzy with Liam subbing one of the other days. Now he's headlining Coachella does that make it less likely he'd accept a slot subbing a fairly small act?

Is it possible he's smaller here than in the US tho? (I personally didn't know who he was 'til This Is America).

16 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I seem to recall the info was Liam subbing Stormzy? Liam, Gambino and LDR (assuming she's not out of contention now) as subs, in that order, would be ace.

1 minute ago, Little Andy said:

Is it possible he's smaller here than in the US tho? (I personally didn't know who he was 'til This Is America).

I'd say he's definitely smaller over here than in the US. Sub headliner is spot on for him IMO.