Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2019

Gnomicide

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

erm... perhaps the prejudice is within the women who like and make pop? :P 

Please don't try and make this about gender, that's nothing of the argument I'm making. I've referenced both of Westlife and Rick Astley along the way.

It’s a shame that you consider Ariana grande and westlife as comparable. I really disagree with you there

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

do you think it should be in whack? :blink: 

Did I say I did?

I want to see a mixture of them booking established or heritage acts and the festival taking chances on riskier bookings, whether that's through giving an up and comer their big chance (as they're doing this year with Stormzy) or by going out of their usual comfort zones and booking the biggest name in pop or hip hop or any other genre not usually represented.

The festival shouldn't solely cater to us old farts who have been going 10, 15, 20+ years. It also needs to be taking chances and trying to appeal to younger audiences, and I'm happy to see them trying to strike a balance between the two.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I like The Cure obviously, I'm over 40, but at the same time do I think they are more culturally relevant than La Grande? Clearly not. 

and Theresa May was more culturally relevant (she'd just got more voteslast festival than Corbyn, but no one is suggesting she should get booked before Jez. :P 

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

This isn't an argument about anything of equality. It's about what musical genres you or I think festivals should be booking.

It's a festival of performing arts, they should be booking any and all genres.

Edit; CONTEMPORARY Performing Arts

Edited by Hugh Jass

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

and Theresa May was more culturally relevant (she'd just got more voteslast festival than Corbyn, but no one is suggesting she should get booked before Jez. :P 

But the people booked also have to want to play - Corbyn loves to preach to the converted (who doesn't) but the bolder performers are always ones who will have a go at converting a crowd that isn't theirs. That is what delivers a good Pyramid headliner - can they convert someone. Adele is a good example of this. Metallica are not.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Did I say I did?

I want to see a mixture of them booking established or heritage acts and the festival taking chances on riskier bookings, whether that's through giving an up and comer their big chance (as they're doing this year with Stormzy) or by going out of their usual comfort zones and booking the biggest name in pop or hip hop or any other genre not usually represented.

The festival shouldn't solely cater to us old farts who have been going 10, 15, 20+ years. It also needs to be taking chances and trying to appeal to younger audiences, and I'm happy to see them trying to strike a balance between the two.

I'm not coming from the angle of wanting them to book stuff to my tastes.

It could have booked the Spice Girls 20 years ago to be "taking chances and trying to appeal to younger audiences", but it didn't. 

I'm pointing out that things are changing, and i don't think that's a change for the better all things considered. 

The festival has become popular with the mainstream. That’s because they increasingly book mainstream acts. It’s not a result of the mainstream shifting their tastes and fitting in with the festival. It’s not a change for the better in terms of what i want for/from the festival, but it’s undoubtedly ensured the festival’s survival in the medium term. 

• Like 1

For me it's adapting to an age where rock music is no longer the most respected /valued cultural commodity.  It's evolving to deal with a post-rock environment.  Classicism is no longer the only game in town.

That's partly the fault of mainstream rock music largely disappearing up a cul-de-sac and partly as a result of the concurrent disintegration of the old musical silos.

20 minutes ago, Mardy said:

The festival has become popular with the mainstream. That’s because they increasingly book mainstream acts. It’s not a result of the mainstream shifting their tastes and fitting in with the festival. It’s not a change for the better in terms of what i want for/from the festival, but it’s undoubtedly ensured the festival’s survival in the medium term. 

I think it should be noted that back in the previous eras of the festival they probably couldn’t book these mainstream acts.

nowadays playing Glastonbury is something a lot of acts want to do. Mainstream acts are willing to take the pay cut (ie Katy Perry, Kanye West, Adele, Ed Sheeran)

46 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

There's been some intelligent debate on here today. Please, please, please can we keep politics out of at least one thread?!