Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2019

Gnomicide

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I get the impression there are a lot of hopes being pinned on a few acts for Friday night.

If I had 1 superpower, it would be to avoid clashes. 

Or I could just travel time I guess but then I'd be trapped in an infinite loop of watching every gig in existance. 

17 hours ago, ourkid1984 said:

Flipping hell I thought I loved the Manics but that is brilliant. 3 versions of the same record and on cassette. 

Although I love Motorcycle Emptiness and You Love Us I get your point about them. I can't see them dropping either for festival's though. I can see them doing a mid afternoon slot on the Pyramid or 1 of 2 slots on the Other either Friday opener or subbing.

Yeah, I don't even want to think about how much I've spent following them around and buying their stuff.. got over 600 recordings, not sure I'll ever found out how The Holy Bible sounds on minidisc though..

Oh yeah, there's no chance of em not doing Motorcycle Emptiness and You Love Us, they've both been at every regular and festival gig since 1992 lol. I've seen em three times not doing Motorcycle and twice not doing You Love Us though, but they were special gigs.. 

Forever Heavenly at Royal Festival Hall, London

National Treasures acoustic promo gig thing at Manchester Night and Day

Futurology launch gig at Rough Trade in London

I think it makes sense that they'll be there this time, I'm glad they're not such primadonnas about where they go on the lineup. I dunno, I get the feeling if the likes of Radiohead, Oasis, Blur etc who'd all been peaking around the same time had toured as extensively as Manics have since their commercial peaks, I can't imagine them taking too kindly to slipping down the lineups or doing academies rather than arenas. Wonder if Manics would still be major festival headline material had they taken a bit longer between tours. Just checked Setlist.fm, Radiohead have done a dozen UK gigs this decade including festivals and one offs, Manics have doubled that this year. Would quite happily never see em do an arena again, mind. 

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Is that the same Robyn who did "every heartbeat?" That was everywhere when I went to Ibiza in about 2006... I didn't know she was anything more than a 1 hit wonder!

You need to go and listen to 'Dancing On My Own' right now.

Robyn closing either Other or JPT on Sunday is my fondest dream.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Is that the same Robyn who did "every heartbeat?" That was everywhere when I went to Ibiza in about 2006... I didn't know she was anything more than a 1 hit wonder!

She's kind of a big deal. It wouldn't be inaccurate to describe her as the 21st century's Prince.

2 hours ago, RichardWaller said:

Yeah, I don't even want to think about how much I've spent following them around and buying their stuff.. got over 600 recordings, not sure I'll ever found out how The Holy Bible sounds on minidisc though..

Oh yeah, there's no chance of em not doing Motorcycle Emptiness and You Love Us, they've both been at every regular and festival gig since 1992 lol. I've seen em three times not doing Motorcycle and twice not doing You Love Us though, but they were special gigs.. 

Forever Heavenly at Royal Festival Hall, London

National Treasures acoustic promo gig thing at Manchester Night and Day

Futurology launch gig at Rough Trade in London

I think it makes sense that they'll be there this time, I'm glad they're not such primadonnas about where they go on the lineup. I dunno, I get the feeling if the likes of Radiohead, Oasis, Blur etc who'd all been peaking around the same time had toured as extensively as Manics have since their commercial peaks, I can't imagine them taking too kindly to slipping down the lineups or doing academies rather than arenas. Wonder if Manics would still be major festival headline material had they taken a bit longer between tours. Just checked Setlist.fm, Radiohead have done a dozen UK gigs this decade including festivals and one offs, Manics have doubled that this year. Would quite happily never see em do an arena again, mind. 

You have about half my music collection in just Manics stuff that is hard to fathom, crazy and brilliant all at the same time.

I had a mini disc player. I don't think I got rid of it if I find it I'll be happy to send it your way.

I like that they seem to mix up their setlists regular enough and thankfully there's only a few songs that are like staples of the Manics live set.

I would be surprised if they wasn't at Glastonbury next year. 

I think when bands reach a certain popularity they tend to choose 1 of 2 options, play academies and play very regular with the odd 'special' arena or outdoor gig or play arenas and outdoor gigs but play less often and occasionally play 'special' small shows. I think the Manics have tried both but seem to prefer playing smaller shows.

I have to admit one of my favourite Manics gigs was when they played all their singles at the O2 but I think that helped as I was in the standing area and also the relentlessness of the set.

1 hour ago, ourkid1984 said:

You have about half my music collection in just Manics stuff that is hard to fathom, crazy and brilliant all at the same time.

I had a mini disc player. I don't think I got rid of it if I find it I'll be happy to send it your way.

I like that they seem to mix up their setlists regular enough and thankfully there's only a few songs that are like staples of the Manics live set.

I would be surprised if they wasn't at Glastonbury next year. 

I think when bands reach a certain popularity they tend to choose 1 of 2 options, play academies and play very regular with the odd 'special' arena or outdoor gig or play arenas and outdoor gigs but play less often and occasionally play 'special' small shows. I think the Manics have tried both but seem to prefer playing smaller shows.

I have to admit one of my favourite Manics gigs was when they played all their singles at the O2 but I think that helped as I was in the standing area and also the relentlessness of the set.

Hah, there's definitely a crazy aspect about it and it goes some way to explaining how I ended up going 15 years without leaving the country..

That's an amazing offer to a complete strange, thanks. I'd probably never use it anyway ?

Over on Manics facebook groups and shit people moan that they don't mix their sets up enough. Course I'd love em to mix em up a bit more but I don't think they do too badly really. Alright, it's an album tour next but next time I see em I'm guaranteed to see at least four songs I've not seen before out of the nearly 70 times I've seen em.. 

That's one thing I think Manics are sods for. I get the impression from interviews and documentaries and shit that when they're doing arenas they'd rather be doing academies, and when they're doing academies they'd rather be doing arenas. I think they've done it a few times when they've made a conscious effort to try to alienate the mainstream.. Following Everything Must Go with This Is My Truth.. yeah, it's got a couple of the radio friendly hits on there, but particularly the second half of the album, it's quite sparse and even experimental in places. Think by the time Know Your Enemy came around they'd already been too big for their own comfort, "success is an ugly word" eh? That and Lifeblood certainly slammed on the brakes. I hope, and wouldn't be surprised if the next album is raw dumb punk. Saw em in Cardiff a few months back and they covered No Feelings by Sex Pistols, looked like the most fun they'd had on stage in ages. 

Oh aye, that was a great night. My first time at the o2 and was pleasantly surprised. 

28 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

Hah, there's definitely a crazy aspect about it and it goes some way to explaining how I ended up going 15 years without leaving the country..

That's an amazing offer to a complete strange, thanks. I'd probably never use it anyway ?

Over on Manics facebook groups and shit people moan that they don't mix their sets up enough. Course I'd love em to mix em up a bit more but I don't think they do too badly really. Alright, it's an album tour next but next time I see em I'm guaranteed to see at least four songs I've not seen before out of the nearly 70 times I've seen em.. 

That's one thing I think Manics are sods for. I get the impression from interviews and documentaries and shit that when they're doing arenas they'd rather be doing academies, and when they're doing academies they'd rather be doing arenas. I think they've done it a few times when they've made a conscious effort to try to alienate the mainstream.. Following Everything Must Go with This Is My Truth.. yeah, it's got a couple of the radio friendly hits on there, but particularly the second half of the album, it's quite sparse and even experimental in places. Think by the time Know Your Enemy came around they'd already been too big for their own comfort, "success is an ugly word" eh? That and Lifeblood certainly slammed on the brakes. I hope, and wouldn't be surprised if the next album is raw dumb punk. Saw em in Cardiff a few months back and they covered No Feelings by Sex Pistols, looked like the most fun they'd had on stage in ages. 

Oh aye, that was a great night. My first time at the o2 and was pleasantly surprised. 

For every act there's a bunch of fans that want a more varied setlist than the act play. It's probably the hardest things for established acts to get right.

I'm going through a bit of a sort out at the moment so if I came across it I'll probably just bin it so might as well go to someone who might use it, even if it is just once.

I think they like the intimate nature of academies but also like arenas and bigger shows so they can be extravagant.

I'm hopeful for a punky album from them and maybe they've been influenced by all of the political punk influenced bands about at the moment.

37 minutes ago, dondo said:

Kraftwerk playing festival in Rome on the 27th & 28th of June

http://www.rockinroma.com/eng/lineup-2019/ 

So there will be no Friday slot at Glasto. Would they be able to do three nights (Sat at Glasto) in a row / get from Rome in good time etc? Sunday perhaps? I don't think we'll be seeing them on the farm tbh.

23 minutes ago, jyoung said:

So there will be no Friday slot at Glasto. Would they be able to do three nights (Sat at Glasto) in a row / get from Rome in good time etc? Sunday perhaps? I don't think we'll be seeing them on the farm tbh.

Can’t see them doing Blue Dot and Glastonbury. Another year, another Kraftwerk tour coming so near but so far.