Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2019

Gnomicide

23 hours ago, Nimrod said:

YES PLEASE
Image may contain: 1 person, text

Image may contain: 2 people, text

I saw the date for Kraftwerk and was going to come and post it here but already done.

I was surprised they didn't play last year given they were touring the UK at that time as would have been gutted as I didn't go last year.

Seen them 5 times over the years and would love to see them at Glastonbury

On 10/23/2018 at 2:14 PM, dentalplan said:

Foals are back. At Rock am Ring. First 1975 summer date too.

Praying to the music gods they get a headline slot on the Other stage.... They will have new music next year also by all accounts. There last performance at Glasto was of epic proportions. Born to play festivals, love them. Think they are one great album from headlining Pyramid. 

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

Praying to the music gods they get a headline slot on the Other stage.... They will have new music next year also by all accounts. There last performance at Glasto was of epic proportions. Born to play festivals, love them. Think they are one great album from headlining Pyramid. 

Funny how people see things differently, I thought their last set was of deathly dull proportions and pretty much torpedoed their future headline prospects.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Funny how people see things differently, I thought their last set was of deathly dull proportions and pretty much torpedoed their future headline prospects.

Well considering most people were ruined by the mud from previous couple of days I thought they were great. Bit of crowd surfing and about 5 mosh pits tells me people enjoyed it haha! 

Edited by Havors

5 hours ago, dondo said:

I saw the date for Kraftwerk and was going to come and post it here but already done.

I was surprised they didn't play last year given they were touring the UK at that time as would have been gutted as I didn't go last year.

Seen them 5 times over the years and would love to see them at Glastonbury

Was never on the cards for 2017 despite the dates seemingly made for it. Their tours are, apparently, all indoor or all outdoor - so there is potentially a chance they could be booked for 2019, although I’m not sure what would be a realistic slot for them. 

41 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Was never on the cards for 2017 despite the dates seemingly made for it. Their tours are, apparently, all indoor or all outdoor - so there is potentially a chance they could be booked for 2019, although I’m not sure what would be a realistic slot for them. 

I was thinking headline Other or West Holts.  Given they do 3D shows I also wondered how they'd distribute the glasses.  I know that they did something a few years back with flashing wrist bands for Coldplay (not that I had 1 or watched them)

I thought Foals were aite. Being out in the sun and having a bunch of bores waiting around for Muse didn't help them so it was pretty lackluster compared to what we know they can do, but it wasn't terrible. Certainly think it would be silly for anyone to take that as a sign they can't headline when they're ready.  

1 minute ago, the wonderwhy said:

I thought Foals were aite. Being out in the sun and having a bunch of bores waiting around for Muse didn't help them so it was pretty lackluster compared to what we know they can do, but it wasn't terrible. Certainly think it would be silly for anyone to take that as a sign they can't headline when they're ready.  

Unless they decide 'fuck it' and release a big stadium rock album full of bangers I don't see them being ready to step up any time soon. Their upwards trajectory has stalled and I think it'd take a grab at the mainstream for them to make that final jump up, otherwise they'll just hover around where they are for a while before dropping off/breaking up.

Just now, the wonderwhy said:

I think that's a weird conclusion to draw when they haven't released an album in three years and the last one put them in arenas/at the top of Reading 

Unsurprisingly, I was just writing up the same thing. They've stalled at headline status, so if they do that again and do some more arenas then why not headline Glastonbury?

Lots of it does circle back to the Pyramid set being a damp squib. I was disappointed too but both that and the Reading set went over really well, and there'll be loadsa little uns into indie rock coming up now that won't have been able to see them until this next tour. Don't see the problem with their trajectory.

You can't really say they stalled at headliner status when the same year they (co)headlined a festival they subbed at Glastonbury. They've stalled as a sub and imo it'll take a bangerfest of a new album to make them seem a worthwhile punt as a headliner, especially after What Went Down was forgotten about a month after it's release. 

They headlined Reading though, that's headline status. People who watched them on telly saw them headline Reading, and that's a lot more people than pick into the differences between a coheadliner and a headliner. Besides, I thought most people reckoned they will have coheadlined as a compromise so they could play Glastonbury the same year?

Also, What Went Down was in the charts for quite a while after release. There's really nothing to say it was forgotten about immediately.

edit: I don't think Kasabian really got any bigger after they subbed Glastonbury in 2009 either, they just stuck around and eventually got the gig.

Edited by dentalplan

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They headlined Reading though, that's headline status. People who watched them on telly saw them headline Reading, and that's a lot more people than pick into the differences between a coheadliner and a headliner. Besides, I thought most people reckoned they will have coheadlined as a compromise so they could play Glastonbury the same year?

Also, What Went Down was in the charts for quite a while after release. There's really nothing to say it was forgotten about immediately.

edit: I don't think Kasabian really got any bigger after they subbed Glastonbury in 2009 either, they just stuck around and eventually got the gig.

I don't think his point was that they only co-headlined rather than headlining. More that the year they did headline, which we're saying they've stalled at, they were only a sub at Glasto. If they weren't seen as a headliner by Glasto in 2016 then they need to have grown from then in order to headline now. If they have stalled then surely they're still not Glasto headliners.

I dunno about that with Kasabian. When I first joined this board after the R&L 2011 people were predicting Kasabian to sub R&L in 2012 for a while, and they're clearly bigger than that now. It seemed more like a Biffy situation where they released West Ryder/Only Revs and played average slots off the back of it (i.e. 2nd/3rd down at Glasto) and then reaped the rewards of how big they'd become from that album when they toured the following one. I don't think that happened with Foals releasing What Went Down; it certainly didn't do any better than people were expecting it to.

I also don't think headlining Citadel the year after R&L was a great move if they wanna be headlining Glasto on their next album.

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I don't think his point was that they only co-headlined rather than headlining. More that the year they did headline, which we're saying they've stalled at, they were only a sub at Glasto. If they weren't seen as a headliner by Glasto in 2016 then they need to have grown from then in order to headline now. If they have stalled then surely they're still not Glasto headliners.

I dunno about that with Kasabian. When I first joined this board after the R&L 2011 people were predicting Kasabian to sub R&L in 2012 for a while, and they're clearly bigger than that now. It seemed more like a Biffy situation where they released West Ryder/Only Revs and played average slots off the back of it (i.e. 2nd/3rd down at Glasto) and then reaped the rewards of how big they'd become from that album when they toured the following one. I don't think that happened with Foals releasing What Went Down; it certainly didn't do any better than people were expecting it to.

I also don't think headlining Citadel the year after R&L was a great move if they wanna be headlining Glasto on their next album.

I see now but I still think them going on to headline Reading later that summer is important; if they headlined Reading then subbed Glastonbury it'd be game over, but the other way I don't think it indicates that they've failed at all. The Citadel slot (and Eden Sessions was it?) was just a payday really - if they headlined Isle of Wight that year instead of Citadel would they be in better standing? Cos Run DMC headlined Isle of Wight that year, and they're obviously not gonna headline the Pyramid.

Also people predicting Kasabian to sub in 2012 when they headlined is more relevant than you may think. People predicted them to sub Glastonbury in 2014 because they weren't big enough, and they ended up headlining. People think Foals will never headline but if they keep up headlining arenas and not taking support slots anywhere then they should eventually get the call - there really aren't enough alternatives to ignore them.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I see now but I still think them going on to headline Reading later that summer is important; if they headlined Reading then subbed Glastonbury it'd be game over, but the other way I don't think it indicates that they've failed at all. The Citadel slot (and Eden Sessions was it?) was just a payday really - if they headlined Isle of Wight that year instead of Citadel would they be in better standing? Cos Run DMC headlined Isle of Wight that year, and they're obviously not gonna headline the Pyramid.

Also people predicting Kasabian to sub in 2012 when they headlined is more relevant than you may think. People predicted them to sub Glastonbury in 2014 because they weren't big enough, and they ended up headlining. People think Foals will never headline but if they keep up headlining arenas and not taking support slots anywhere then they should eventually get the call - there really aren't enough alternatives to ignore them.

Yeah I mean if they do keep headlining arenas and major festivals for the foreseeable then I can see it happening; I'm just unsure whether I see that happening, really. Will be interesting to see what they do next Summer as I think they're more likely to do something like APE than something like IOW.