Isle of Wight 2019 Festival

galbani

On 10/9/2018 at 9:54 AM, The All Round Ball :| said:

Anyone know any information on the respect camping? 

They had made a facebook page yesterday but didn't have any announcements yet.  The Love Your Tent will announce in about the middle of November so Dec/Jan time possibly??

• Upvote 1

me and eldest boy (not long turned 11) do 3 or 4 festivals every year, this will be our third iow in a row, really hoping for something different out the blue you don't normally see in uk festivals.

obvo wont be headlining but think jamie t is stick on to be playing this year, that apart my guesses would be muse, elton john and a dance/pop headliner for younger crowd on the Friday night but what the hell do.i know...

wet wet wet will turn up somewhere as well btw.

10 hours ago, kevybhoy said:

me and eldest boy (not long turned 11) do 3 or 4 festivals every year, this will be our third iow in a row, really hoping for something different out the blue you don't normally see in uk festivals.

obvo wont be headlining but think jamie t is stick on to be playing this year, that apart my guesses would be muse, elton john and a dance/pop headliner for younger crowd on the Friday night but what the hell do.i know...

wet wet wet will turn up somewhere as well btw.

Can definitely see Jamie T at IOW (+loads of other festivals). Don’t think I recall seeing his name on many line ups this year. Would be good to see him again.

14 hours ago, Radi0Head said:

Currently weighing up whether to go to Download or IOW as they clash this year. What are the rumours saying? If its pink I'm gonna be at Donnington getting punched in the face by a Slipknot fan.

Dude, forget about who is playing. Download will be better than IOW.

Have you ever been to IOW before? 

I am some sort of old guy and went to iow50 , my first festival in about 40 years and (they didn’t even have them then.)

I was pleased and thrilled with the experience and bought tickets for next year as they became available.

I also went to Eklectica which was ok in its own way.

thanks 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Radi0Head said:

Never, I’m intrigued because of the heritage of IOW but I’m pop off by the amount of pop music 

There is no heritage in IOW, the original festival is a completely different festival in a different place run by different people that giddings likes to pretend they have something to do with.

its a fun festival in its own right but is embarrassing in its ‘heritage theft’

Edited by Smeble

40 minutes ago, Smeble said:

There is no heritage in IOW, the original festival is a completely different festival in a different place run by different people that giddings likes to pretend they have something to do with. 

its a fun festival in its own right but is embarrassing in its ‘heritage theft’ 

Yep, arguably Download has more in terms of heritage - even though it's a different organisation they at least they can draw a direct line to Monsters of Rock by virtue of using the same site and a similar booking policy.

Does it matter?

Look at the lineup. Think about the whole experience. Think about the cost and the hassle getting there.

Buy a ticket, go and enjoy.

Or don't.

It's a nice, relaxed, chilled out festival.

Does the heritage matter? Does any modern festival really have 'heritage'? The bottom line is they are commercial ventures and you buy a slice or you don't.

23 hours ago, Radi0Head said:

Never, I’m intrigued because of the heritage of IOW but I’m pop off by the amount of pop music 

Yeah...there is no heritage. This festival is a different animal to the one from the 60s and 70s

IOW is by far the worst festival I've ever been to. Not much of an atmosphere at all. It's mostly elderly people who are quite happy to make a line of deckchairs 4 rows from the eff front of the main stage. There are so many good festivals around nowadays - I'm surprised IOW is still going tbh 

17 hours ago, galbani said:

Does the heritage matter? Does any modern festival really have 'heritage'? The bottom line is they are commercial ventures and you buy a slice or you don't.

It's not going to make a difference as to whether I go or not. But when the festival itself is trying to make a big deal out of it, it's a fair topic for discussion.

18 hours ago, galbani said:

Does it matter?

Look at the lineup. Think about the whole experience. Think about the cost and the hassle getting there.

Buy a ticket, go and enjoy.

Or don't.

It's a nice, relaxed, chilled out festival.

I’m thinking about the whole experience which is why the heritage (or lack of) matters.

if you view festivals as a matter of consuming an experience that’s your decision. I think it’s more than that.

glastonury has a shit tone of heritage so do some many other festivals even if it’s not overtly marketed for its heritage (like iow).

as for cost I can go for free, press passes are a magical thing ;).

51 minutes ago, incident said:

It's not going to make a difference as to whether I go or not. But when the festival itself is trying to make a big deal out of it, it's a fair topic for discussion.

It would seem like it’s trying to make a big deal out of being in a similar location to the original Iow.

58 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Bob Dylan playing this and not headlining, y’say?

Well... it's just a guess, but I think Giddings tweeted something vaguely about it in the summer. But anyway, I don't see him as a headliner, more like the Van Morrison slot this year. He tours here frequently and is very much an arena act, rather than those other three I mentioned who are definitely in stadia. I saw him at Glastonbury back in '98 and he was 3rd or 4th down the bill and he was just as much a legend then. Also, he kind of just stands there and plays the tunes, so there isn't the sense of spectacle you'd get with either P!nk or Muse, and certainly not the showmanship that Elton would bring. But I still think it would be an absolute coup to get him on the line-up.

On the whole IOW vs. Download thing, I've been to both 3 times each and in my opinion there isn't much between them. The clientele are slightly different, but that doesn't really have much of an impact on the atmosphere as far as I'm concerned, both are full of friendly people just having fun, even if IOW has a few more 'chair w*nkers in attendance. They're about the same size, have similar facilities, and for me are about equidistant in terms of travel time, so ultimately, I'd let the line-up be the deciding factor.

45 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Well... it's just a guess, but I think Giddings tweeted something vaguely about it in the summer. But anyway, I don't see him as a headliner, more like the Van Morrison slot this year. He tours here frequently and is very much an arena act, rather than those other three I mentioned who are definitely in stadia. I saw him at Glastonbury back in '98 and he was 3rd or 4th down the bill and he was just as much a legend then. Also, he kind of just stands there and plays the tunes, so there isn't the sense of spectacle you'd get with either P!nk or Muse, and certainly not the showmanship that Elton would bring. But I still think it would be an absolute coup to get him on the line-up.

I just don’t think he’d accept it. Or they’d have to pay a headline fee to get him, otherwise any old place would be having at him - much like Van.

The thing about those three acts being stadium headliners probably works against their booking. Giddings has discussed being loathe to book acts playing big London dates after 2013 had three doing them and backfired spectacularly when everyone went to the much more accessible capital instead. I think Pink and Muse are ruled out by theirs, and the Hove show (lol) might banjax Elton if it weren’t his last tour.

Maelzoid - I resemble that remark! I'm old! I have a tiny folding chair - keeps me a couple of inches off the floor. The Mrs sits on a picnic blanket. Mid / late afternoon they both come up and get put away though... also useful for smuggling in my GnT...

Fests are commercial ventures. They'll exploit what they can to sell as many tickets for as much as they can. They're in the business of making money. That includes camping, campervan pitches, retail sales, food, corporates and anything else they can put a price tag on - including heritage. Don't get sucked in. Go because you like this year's lineup and the chilled vibe.