Isle of Wight 2019 Festival

galbani

3 hours ago, AMBEV said:

I think there’ll be one amazing act and the rest will be mediocre.  

I am not too worried who will be announced really.

I went for the first time last year and stayed in a crap hotel in Sandown (blah blah miles away)

But I still had a ball and enjoyed every moment of my time spent at the site.

The main stage is just a very small part of it in my opinion .

10 hours ago, utwothefly said:

Good points, yet it still remains that the only big festival to yet announce is IOW and they surely would have before if there wasn’t an issue. LN don’t not sell tickets for two months for nothing, ‘Aiming’ to announce more at the end of January shows that, if all was ok they could easily have done it next week. LNs big draws are playing stadiums in London, maybe they just haven’t sold out yet and we’ll get one or two of them 

You'll find very few festivals announce first half of Jan. It may not be IOW and LN stalling on the announcements it could be the acts they have. Its not always in the promoters hands. I said it before.. LN and Giddings will book the best acts available to them within the budget. Then it will be subjective for people to like or dislike the line up, buying tickets based on that. Announcing earlier doesn't change the quality of acts they have booked, but might give them an extra month to sell tickets. 

TRNSMT hasn't announced yet. Glasto has only announced acts that have leaked really. Boomtown has announced a new stage. Latitude hasn't announced. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JBarbour said:

You'll find very few festivals announce first half of Jan. It may not be IOW and LN stalling on the announcements it could be the acts they have. Its not always in the promoters hands. I said it before.. LN and Giddings will book the best acts available to them within the budget. Then it will be subjective for people to like or dislike the line up, buying tickets based on that. Announcing earlier doesn't change the quality of acts they have booked, but might give them an extra month to sell tickets. 

TRNSMT hasn't announced yet. Glasto has only announced acts that have leaked really. Boomtown has announced a new stage. Latitude hasn't announced. 

Y Not, Kendall, Parklife and even the likes of Boardmasters and Victorious have only announced an act or 2.... or nothing at all! 

Edited by sisco
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, sisco said:

Y Not, Kendall, Parklife and even the likes of Boardmasters and Victorious have only announced an act or 2.... or nothing at all!

IMO id say those smaller festivals may have issues of some sort. The majority of festival line ups are out or have announced a few acts and like you say Victorious have named their support line up over the 3 days. IOW as far as I know is the only festival you can’t buy tickets for that should be available. Even if the line up is monster which I doubt right now, not selling tix for 2 months is winding people up. I feel like it’s going to be a let down,,, at least then if it’s half sensible it will seem decent. 

49 minutes ago, TommyS said:

This is the first year that I will be heading to the festival, any tips on the best way to travel to the festival? thanks in advance!

If you can survive without a car, go by foot. ie. Train to Portsmouth Harbour - Fast Cat to Ryde and then bus to the festival site.

If there are 3 or more of you going, a car may be more economical, but I've never done this, so maybe someone else can help.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TommyS said:

This is the first year that I will be heading to the festival, any tips on the best way to travel to the festival? thanks in advance!

I find the best way to The Island is train to Southampton then RedJet to West Cowes then bus to Newport.

This is for foot travellers of course.

Any one going by car, should not.

11 hours ago, utwothefly said:

IMO id say those smaller festivals may have issues of some sort. The majority of festival line ups are out or have announced a few acts and like you say Victorious have named their support line up over the 3 days. IOW as far as I know is the only festival you can’t buy tickets for that should be available. Even if the line up is monster which I doubt right now, not selling tix for 2 months is winding people up. I feel like it’s going to be a let down,,, at least then if it’s half sensible it will seem decent. 

There are loads of festivals with no line up outs. I think people are reading into this too much. No where near a majority of festivals with announcements already made. Them smaller festivals have no issues. 

I remember times when R&L used to release tickets and line ups in March / April. 

2 hours ago, JBarbour said:

There are loads of festivals with no line up outs. I think people are reading into this too much. No where near a majority of festivals with announcements already made. Them smaller festivals have no issues. 

I remember times when R&L used to release tickets and line ups in March / April. 

R&L was a smaller festival with less competition.   The market is saturated now.  

Carzy bussiness decision not releasing tickets before Christmas in this economic climate.  

Bet theyll be be lucky to hit 55k this year. 

3 hours ago, AMBEV said:

R&L was a smaller festival with less competition.   The market is saturated now.  

Carzy bussiness decision not releasing tickets before Christmas in this economic climate.  

RnL was not a smaller festival when it released in March/April. They were still doing that 6 or 7 years ago, and released late last year too.

Fully agree that people are reading into this too much. 

12 hours ago, JBarbour said:

I disagree, the big festivals here and in Europe have mostly given at least one headliner. Everyone knows some small festivals struggle and some have ceased to exist for one reason or another, not that I think IOW are. I’m sure if they could announce before xmas they would have done, there’s clearly an issue of some sort however big or small. 

Edited by utwothefly

8 hours ago, rfc_478 said:

RnL was not a smaller festival when it released in March/April. They were still doing that 6 or 7 years ago, and released late last year too.

Fully agree that people are reading into this too much. 

Reading was a bigger festival back then, both sites sold out very quickly and the overall booking of acts was better....due to what we had at the time.

1 hour ago, utwothefly said:

I disagree, the big festivals here and in Europe have mostly given at least one headliner. Everyone knows some small festivals struggle and some have ceased to exist for one reason or another, not that I think IOW are. I’m sure if they could announce before xmas they would have done, there’s clearly an issue of some sort however big or small. 

A majority of smaller festivals have always released line ups after Xmas. It due to a lot of them not booking there big acts until December. But it's nothing to do with struggling. A lot of smaller and mid market festivals have gone from strength to strength every year and some have grown. The bigger festivals have been suffering more than small, niche festivals. 

See the growth of Boomtown, Y Not, Boardmasters, Tramlines, Kendal... Some small festivals have gone but look at the bigger players that have gone. Live Nation would not if bought into IOW to stop or destroy the festival. It looks as if it may have to find its new place in the market as demand dwindles from festival goers. 

12 hours ago, AMBEV said:

When Reading and Leeds where releasing line ups in March/April and tickets at the same time they were shifting 110,000+ in less than an hour. They were doing Glasto numbers. 

It is a different climate now but its up to the promoters to diversify 

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Reading was a bigger festival back then, both sites sold out very quickly and the overall booking of acts was better....due to what we had at the time.

I know, my point was in reply to a point that RnL was a smaller festival than IoW when it released in March/April 

4 hours ago, utwothefly said:

I’m not sure how you can say that there’s ‘clearly’ an issue unless you have inside knowledge. The might be an issue, there might not. It’s all purely speculation 

11 hours ago, rfc_478 said:

I’m not sure how you can say that there’s ‘clearly’ an issue unless you have inside knowledge. The might be an issue, there might not. It’s all purely speculation 

Clearly an Issue as in a reason for the delay as I’m sure they would like to sell tickets sooner if they could. But yes I’m still speculating ?? but tbf without the line up theres not much else to do ?

Edited by utwothefly

Hi everyone - first time poster but long time lurker - im gonna guess (and its a massive guess and I'm sure ill be proved wrong lol):

Spice Girls or Little Mix

Lady Gaga

Westlife

Reverend and the Makers

Tears for Fears 

Alison Moyet

Bang Bang Romeo

I already know im gonna get shot down but as we are all waiting i thought id have a laugh - what's everybody reckon??