Isle of Wight 2019 Festival

galbani

1 hour ago, galbani said:

Hotel is a must - too old to tent it now. It'll happen to you... one day.

It's a great weekend, very friendly, nice people, usually very good weather, all very pleasant. Would have liked a better line-up but hey-ho.

Me too, always go in hotel, public transport, no problem

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Poorest major festival line up I have ever seen. Even V fest was better than this at its demise.

But its not a major festival now, it's being priced at £175 which is far from a major festival price and got 3 headliners that would only sub the major festivals they previously have...bar Scotland.

23 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

But its not a major festival now, it's being priced at £175 which is far from a major festival price and got 3 headliners that would only sub the major festivals they previously have...bar Scotland.

A major festival is a festival that holds over 40,000 people. That’s the only classifier.

5 hours ago, Futurism said:

The prices have dropped, rightly so based on that lineup. ? 

£209 last year £175 this year.. 

Campervan tickets are still priced at an obscene level, £220 is taking the piss, sad thing is people will pay it. Never fails to amaze me how much people will pay for accommodation at a festival. 

Edited by Smeble

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I like how Giddings was saying about Sheeran being a boring headliner a few years ago, and now he’s got the somehow-less-edgy Sheeran as the Saturday night headliner. :D

Ed Sheeran is what happens if you feed George Ezra after midnight

Edited by Username taken
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Smeble said:

Campervan tickets are still priced at an obscene level, £220 is taking the piss, sad thing is people will pay it. Never fails to amaze me how much people will pay for accommodation at a festival. 

People will pay it because they want to go.

If you  don’t want to pay it don’t.

I am amazed at the money people spend on theirs cars for instance, I have never spent anything on cars.

I think festivals are relatively good value for the amount of entertainment.

7 hours ago, Neon said:

People will pay it because they want to go.

If you  don’t want to pay it don’t.

I am amazed at the money people spend on theirs cars for instance, I have never spent anything on cars.

I think festivals are relatively good value for the amount of entertainment.

Festivals are good value for money, just not IOW, £220 for a cv ticket is obscene, latitude charges £60, Glastonbury £120, IOW just think of a number.

as you say I don’t have to pay it, and I don’t, we go to a different festival that doesn’t charge a daft price, when you add the cost of a ferry ticket, taking our Motorhome to IOW costs nearly £500, we like IOW, but not that much. For that money we can pay for a different festival including entrance tickets. 

There was a backlash a few years ago against the campervan prices but they have gone back up after a reduction, I guess whilst they sell out they can charge what they want, but like I say it amazes me what people will pay for accommodation at festivals, not sure what cars has to do with campervan ticket prices but anyhoo?

there are obviously changes afoot at IOW with the reduced entrance ticket price and 2nd tier headliners this year, I guess they are reassessing their place in the market and paying for the likes of Queen and Fleetwood Mac doesn’t make financial sense for a festival of their size, maybe they will also drop the cv tickets in line with other festivals, but I doubt it.

Its better than last years line up. Last year they had amazing headliners but imo the undercards were abysmal. the script sub-headlining said it all. this year they seem to have the right balance, Noel Gallagher probably isn't headliner size but he'll definitely be able to pull off the performance. I would probably say George Ezra is technically co-headlining with Fat Boy Slim as FBS is playing after Ezra, and Ezra would be quite underwhelming at night. Biffy Clyro have been festival headliners for years now. the undercards are amazing this year. and remember we still have more acts to be announced, probably about 20 more. Isle of wight definitely is getting smaller. they've come a long way from having Blur, Fleetwood Mac, the Prodigy and The Black keys all on the same bill but Festivals are allowed to change. It'll always be an amazing weekend who ever is playing. 

Edited by Barnabylike
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

So this is what festivals will look like after Brexit.

This was my first thought as well - and then the lollapalooza Paris lineup did the same in the other direction- only 1975 and clean bandit off the top of my head there.

I'm assuming it's down to the thought that no deal means there won't be any provisions in place for people to come in and essentially work? Or that the festivals will have to pay for it? 

6 hours ago, Barnabylike said:

Its better than last years line up. Last year they had amazing headliners but imo the undercards were abysmal. the script sub-headlining said it all. this year they seem to have the right balance, Noel Gallagher probably isn't headliner size but he'll definitely be able to pull off the performance. I would probably say George Ezra is technically co-headlining with Fat Boy Slim as FBS is playing after Ezra, and Ezra would be quite underwhelming at night. Biffy Clyro have been festival headliners for years now. the undercards are amazing this year. and remember we still have more acts to be announced, probably about 20 more. Isle of wight definitely is getting smaller. they've come a long way from having Blur, Fleetwood Mac, the Prodigy and The Black keys all on the same bill but Festivals are allowed to change. It'll always be an amazing weekend who ever is playing. 

On the Flip of that you had Liam subbing Depeche mode & Manics & Van Morrison subbing The Killers .

7 hours ago, Barnabylike said:

That year of FM Blur Black Keys and Prodigy was great for headliners but it was lost on the undercard which was awful.

Biffy Clyro might headline in Scotland and again at Download if needed but any other major fest I doubt it. They aren't for instance going to headline their own outside gig in England and are booked for IOW based on that stature.

Overall I quite like this line-up, big fan of biffy so pleased they are headlining. The only headliner I'm disappointed in is George Ezra. Never seen Noel before and did think maybe he should be subbing at first but at the end of the day he was in the biggest band of the 90s and he's released 3 number 1 albums that have been fairly well received critically so I think he's a bit more deserving than people initially think.

Undercard is a lot better this year, there was barely anything there that I wanted to see last year but it looks like there's plenty to keep me busy this time round and this is just the first announcement!

10 hours ago, Barnabylike said:

I agree with this most muchly.

I look toward June with glee in my heart.

11 hours ago, Smeble said:

Festivals are good value for money, just not IOW, £220 for a cv ticket is obscene, latitude charges £60, Glastonbury £120, IOW just think of a number.

as you say I don’t have to pay it, and I don’t, we go to a different festival that doesn’t charge a daft price, when you add the cost of a ferry ticket, taking our Motorhome to IOW costs nearly £500, we like IOW, but not that much. For that money we can pay for a different festival including entrance tickets. 

There was a backlash a few years ago against the campervan prices but they have gone back up after a reduction, I guess whilst they sell out they can charge what they want, but like I say it amazes me what people will pay for accommodation at festivals, not sure what cars has to do with campervan ticket prices but anyhoo?

there are obviously changes afoot at IOW with the reduced entrance ticket price and 2nd tier headliners this year, I guess they are reassessing their place in the market and paying for the likes of Queen and Fleetwood Mac doesn’t make financial sense for a festival of their size, maybe they will also drop the cv tickets in line with other festivals, but I doubt it.

Ok, therefore I would suggest you don’t go in a camper van, put the £500 towards a tent and stuff to go with it.

Or better still towards a hotel room/s.

When  I see you there you can buy me a pint for all of my helpful advice !

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

That year of FM Blur Black Keys and Prodigy was great for headliners but it was lost on the undercard which was awful.

That's a bit harsh, I went that year and it never was never a long wait for another act I wanted to see. Honestly two of my favourite sets of the weekend were UB40s and Stiff Little Fingers who weren't headlining.