Isle of Wight 2019 Festival

galbani

16 hours ago, CJTM said:

Looks like Benicassim, Super Bock & Lolla Paris are all having an announcement this week, whispers are that it is Arctic Monkeys.

Could see them at IOW now, all the EU tour dates to drop Wednesday/Thursday?

Are there any actual whispers about this? All I've seen is people guessing at it in the Beni thread. Checked the AM Reddit and there's nothing on there about them potentially announcing anything this week. Could just as easily see it being RHCP or something.

17 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Are there any actual whispers about this? All I've seen is people guessing at it in the Beni thread. Checked the AM Reddit and there's nothing on there about them potentially announcing anything this week. Could just as easily see it being RHCP or something.

RHCP headlined at least one of those last year so maybe not them.

I don’t think all announcing on the same week is evidence that it’s a single band. Mid-late Jan is just a good time for fests to get on with announcing acts.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

RHCP headlined at least one of those last year so maybe not them.

I don’t think all announcing on the same week is evidence that it’s a single band. Mid-late Jan is just a good time for fests to get on with announcing acts.

Yeah definitely. In my experience on here when people see festivals announcing on the same day/couple of days and assume they must be announcing the same band it often ends up not being the case.

3 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Blake from AMUS said they have an iconic UK date to announce, and ruled out Glastonbury. Benicassim socials gave a winky face when asked about them and a few others a while back, the others seemingly tied up with other Spanish shows

The forum that's linked from their official website. 

6 minutes ago, Dan846 said:

AMUS?

I'm hoping for a few AM UK dates. Had isle of Wight in mind months ago but with the long delay I gave up and made plans elsewhere. Will be kicking myself if IoW book monkeys and I can't go. There was talk of fans wanting to petition for them to play knebworth last year also.

1 hour ago, CJTM said:

Blake from AMUS said they have an iconic UK date to announce, and ruled out Glastonbury. Benicassim socials gave a winky face when asked about them and a few others a while back, the others seemingly tied up with other Spanish shows

I meant whispers that these Wednesday announcements are Arctic Monkeys, I've seen all the other stuff.

The "iconic June festival" quote didn't actually mention that it was a UK one. Most common assumption was that it was Bonnaroo, and the most recent rumour is that they've pulled their planned US dates for June.

That iconic June festival info also came along with info that they're doing MSG and a Sheffield show, neither of which are anywhere in sight. And if they were doing several other fests on top of this iconic June one I don't see why that wouldn't have been included in the info. Sounded to me like it was a one off.

The Beni winky face was in response to a tweet mentioning them along with several other bands, too, wasn't it? Arctic Monkeys, Mumford, The Strokes and someone else.

I won't be shocked if Arctic Monkeys are announced for these festivals on Wednesday, I just keep seeing on these boards people claiming that it's rumoured to be them, when in fact it just seems to be people guessing.

Saw AM last September in Birmingham, they played too much of their pretentious new stuff which was like watching paint dry. I'm sorry, but their new music is no where near the type  needed for a live performance, it's more suited to a jazz club/restaurant on a Saturday night - creates absolutely zero atmosphere. Soon as they played their older stuff the crowd came alive, but it was few and far between. Here's hoping if they do play IOW, that SOMEONE gets it into Alex's head that they just can't play any of their new stuff as it will be a drab of a performance. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, stanh said:

i agree yet disagree with you. i get what you mean, i was at both nights in birmingham. but i thought the new TBHAC songs gave a bit of a breather/chill from the main jams and faster songs which i thought worked quite well. although it'd be great to have pure classics, i think it breaks the performance up well and both live shows were epic - regardless of the new stuff. i'd say calling drab is a bit far fetched

I think my choice of words reflect my disappointment at their performance, I expected it to be better than it was. I think the precedent was set when their first song was a song from their new album which was slow and sticky, the first song from an act is important as it gets the crowd pumping. If they do play IOW I will enjoy watching them and I do want them to smash it, I just think I still feel let down from their September show. 

6 hours ago, stanh said:

i agree yet disagree with you. i get what you mean, i was at both nights in birmingham. but i thought the new TBHAC songs gave a bit of a breather/chill from the main jams and faster songs which i thought worked quite well. although it'd be great to have pure classics, i think it breaks the performance up well and both live shows were epic - regardless of the new stuff. i'd say calling drab is a bit far fetched

Ahhh its not even the tbhac thts the problem, for a new album they only play like 4/5 songs from it. The problem is the lack of songs from album 1 and to a lesser extent 2 because they clog the setlist with near enough AM in full every bloody night. I’ll take when the sun goes down over knee socks any day of the week. Maybe the hits will return when they do some british festivals!