So how much truth is there in this Madonna rumour?

bexj

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Don't think so if what i've heard is accurate.

Essentially, the Madonna thing goes "not happening, she's way out of Glasto's price league".

Always thought the assumption with Madonna is that she'd take the lower fee in favour of the publicity she'd get from it, as is often the case with the bigger acts. Not that an act like Madonna really has anything to gain from playing Glastonbury but I'd have thought she was savvy enough to see it as a good opportunity to seem 'cool' or whatever.

Then again, the only reason she's rumoured is because Emily followed her on Instagram which might just mean Emily's a fan rather than anything to do with Glastonbury.

48 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Not too bothered - whilst Madge at Glasto would undoubtedly be ‘an event’, she kinda leaves me cold.

I get the same kind of vibe from what I've seen of her. Outstanding back catalogue and an undeniable influence in musical history, but she doesn't exactly exude warmth and charisma. Macca's set would feel more like a Glasto moment, I think.

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Always thought the assumption with Madonna is that she'd take the lower fee in favour of the publicity she'd get from it, as is often the case with the bigger acts. Not that an act like Madonna really has anything to gain from playing Glastonbury but I'd have thought she was savvy enough to see it as a good opportunity to seem 'cool' or whatever.

Then again, the only reason she's rumoured is because Emily followed her on Instagram which might just mean Emily's a fan rather than anything to do with Glastonbury.

That's the thing with Madonna, never done it and doesn't need anything to boost her. She'll sellout her gigs at ridiculous prices regardless.

FM and Coldplay for 2020 I'd say atm.

6 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

You'd surely have to think Elton is the most likely to be signed up for 2020 this far in advance, based on the fact he has a farewell tour that's definitely planned until the 2020 festival. It's just whether he'd be a headliner or the legend - hopefully the latter.

To be blunt about it - if he's signed up this far in advance, and he's on the last year of his farewell tour, and playing one of presumably a handful of UK dates - there's no debate over whether he'd be headliner or not.

Just now, incident said:

To be blunt about it - if he's signed up this far in advance, and he's on the last year of his farewell tour, and playing one of presumably a handful of UK dates - there's no debate over whether he'd be headliner or not.

That's fair, but I genuinely think it could be an advantage for him to do the legends' slot instead. That slot has garnered more attention than most headliners in recent years (although I guess you could argue that Dolly and Lionel still would have got the same attention if they'd headlined instead).

Playing the teatime slot he'd be praised by everyone as a perfect booking, but as a headliner I could definitely see there being some negativity towards it from some corners. In terms of the actual performance, all he'd have to do in the legends' slot is turn up and bang out the hits and it'd be a roaring success, played all over the BBC in the sun with an enormous crowd having a ball. As a headliner I feel there are different expectations, and having seen him a couple of times over the last few years I don't really think it'd be seen as an amazing headline set.

Having said all that, I don't think they'd hesitate in booking him to headline if that's all he'd accept.

On 9/19/2018 at 8:35 AM, eFestivals said:

Don't think so if what i've heard is accurate.

Essentially, the Madonna thing goes "not happening, she's way out of Glasto's price league".

Whilst I wouldn't mind seeing Madge I'd rather her massive fee was spent on other, better things. Be that music or the charities. She don't need any more cash. Though based on that logic they should ask most of the headliners to do it for costs!!! 

On 9/19/2018 at 8:41 AM, FloorFiller said:

She could get more publicity and more money from doing a massive Coachella set.  Glasto makes no sense to me for her at the moment.  If she'd done Coachella 10 years ago and wanted to get another shot of publicity to up the sales on her own tours then maybe - but that's not where we are.

Plus, Emily does follow all sorts of people on Instagram.  There's not a particularly strong correlation between her following people and them playing the next festival.

Not happening.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

7 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

Whilst I wouldn't mind seeing Madge I'd rather her massive fee was spent on other, better things. Be that music or the charities. She don't need any more cash. Though based on that logic they should ask most of the headliners to do it for costs!!! 

See I don't think it would be all about money for Madonna (Not saying she would be cheap mind), but it would be about the challenge and publicity. Now wether she feels Glastonbury is worth either of those things - who knows. 

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

She could get more publicity and more money from doing a massive Coachella set.  Glasto makes no sense to me for her at the moment.  If she'd done Coachella 10 years ago and wanted to get another shot of publicity to up the sales on her own tours then maybe - but that's not where we are.

Not happening. 

More money - yes, of course, at least in terms of performance fee. More publicity -  yes in the US, but definitely not in the UK and probably not in most of Europe (the Glastonbury TV coverage does travel pretty far beyond our borders). If publicity becomes the motive, she'd be better off doing both as she'd hit largely different audiences.

Although at the moment it strongly looks like neither.

Edited by incident

4 minutes ago, incident said:

More money - yes, of course, at least in terms of performance fee. More publicity -  yes in the US, but definitely not in the UK and probably not in most of Europe (the Glastonbury TV coverage does travel pretty far beyond our borders). If publicity becomes the motive, she'd be better off doing both as she'd hit largely different audiences.

Although at the moment it strongly looks like neither.

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but Beychella was pretty huge over here.  Glastonbury's not on Youtube.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but Beychella was pretty huge over here.  Glastonbury's not on Youtube.

I think it's fair to say that anything Beyonce does gets obsessed over at this point. I'd argue that the attention she got was mostly her bringing it to the Festival rather than the other way around. Madonna would be much less so.