So how much truth is there in this Madonna rumour?

bexj

7 hours ago, Miesh said:

Welcome back. Hope you're keeping well this year. I agree with a) but I would enjoy seeing Madonna at Glastonbury.

Thanks mate, all good now thank god, last year I like to pretend just didn’t happen ?

if Madonna were to show up and bang out a greatest hits set I’d probably watch that, what she’s been doing recently HELL NO!

I've been saying for years she should do it. It has the potential to be wall to wall hits (probably more so than any other previous headliner)

However, Madonna craves relevance- hopefully she'd realise the way to go about that is to show up with the hits & prove why she's the best selling female artist of all time. Though I fear she may show up with some new bull shit edm remixes and alienate the crowd.  

14 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Genuine question why do we always doubt that an act will play a greatest hits set at a festival show?

I feel like if you’re worrying about an absence of classics you’re worrying about the wrong thing.

Has an act ever headlined and only played new material? Please enlighten me if i’m missing someone

edit: Madonna will also know exactly what Glastonbury is. She’s not someone completely cut off from the real world

We normally get a slightly different version of the tour the act is currently on. We still will get material from new album but are more likely to hear a bigger range of older songs.

Look at U2 and Radiohead who are pretty good examples of changing the set around as there saw the opportunity of pushing sales of older albums 

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Will be a glorious moment when they close NYC Downlow for the gig and all the queens, bears and leather daddies up sticks for the front of the Pyramid.

Only downside to it is that I wouldn't be watching Madge as I'd be too busy laughing my arse off at the horrified expressions on the faces of the chair people

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yup....plus even if she's playing a forgettable new one there's the visuals / show element to keep folk occupied. 

The thing about that setlist is, even though I don't know a lot of the songs, it certainly gives the impression of a proper show, not just a greatest hits CD with some dancing.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The thing about that setlist is, even though I don't know a lot of the songs, it certainly gives the impression of a proper show, not just a greatest hits CD with some dancing.

Which it would be...which maybe makes it less likely that a Glastonbury show would deviate much from the standard tour setlist.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's a good point.  Does she ever do festivals?

Not sure that's as big a factor as it used to be - in the last 10 or so years there's been at least 3 headliners that don't play festivals (or at least, hadn't played a festival for a very long time prior to that summer).

1 minute ago, incident said:

Not sure that's as big a factor as it used to be - in the last 10 or so years there's been at least 3 headliners that don't play festivals (or at least, hadn't played a festival for a very long time prior to that summer).

I was thinking so we could check on likely set lists, rather than whether she was likely to play.

I think part of the amazement of Glastonbury is that it manages to get acts who really rarely play festivals.

When the Stones played everyone was saying "They're playing a festival!? That's incredible". 

I think Madonna would definitely fall into that category.

She doesn't really play festivals - but what's important is that she probably should do.  Now that she's way past her imperial period where she could barely put a foot wrong it's a decent way of reaching out to an audience beyond a (diminishing) hardcore fanbase.

Maybe depends on who her manager is / the advice she's getting.

not that it's likely but with the pilton party battle of the bands final on saturday with Michael judging, it might be a good place to start with seeing if there is anything to the Madonna stuff?

Are you going Neil? I'm toying with the idea if I can persuade the missus. Looks a good spread of bands for a fiver.