So how much truth is there in this Madonna rumour?

bexj

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm sticking with 1975/AM/Mac

Could happily see none of them (if there's something good up against AM) but it's a decent trio. Only thing is it's a bit one dimensional. A Kendrick/Stormzy/Swifty or whatever coming in for one of the first two makes it pretty perfectly rounded.

The 1975 / Kendrick Lamar / Fleetwood Mac would be perfect for the festival, I reckon. All new headliners, one of them being given a leg up to headline status in general, and definitely a big enough trio.

Stormzy / Arctic Monkeys / Fleetwood Mac would also be a great set overall. Probably go down better, but Arctic Monkeys headlining for the third time makes it a little less exciting.

9 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Could happily see none of them (if there's something good up against AM) but it's a decent trio. Only thing is it's a bit one dimensional. A Kendrick/Stormzy/Swifty or whatever coming in for one of the first two makes it pretty perfectly rounded.

The 1975 / Kendrick Lamar / Fleetwood Mac would be perfect for the festival, I reckon. All new headliners, one of them being given a leg up to headline status in general, and definitely a big enough trio.

Stormzy / Arctic Monkeys / Fleetwood Mac would also be a great set overall. Probably go down better, but Arctic Monkeys headlining for the third time makes it a little less exciting.

Aye, my suggested trio isn't necessarily what I want but what I think we'll get. Out of the three and I'd almost certainly not see 1975 and almost certainly would see the Mac. AM's would very much be dependant on what else was available that evening.

Would love to see Kendrick in one of the two slots as you've suggested but my feeling is that he'll be done touring DAMN by then and I doubt GF has the financial clout to entice him back for a one off.

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Do the bookers manufacture this publicity sometimes for a headliner they are interested in just to see if they'll bite?

They're quite brilliant at low-key promotion. They know an Instagram follow here and there or a throwaway Michael quote at some awards show get the Glasto hype wheel turning. Big league. Thats all they have to do. They let us do the promotion for them. The Scum love a good rumour too. They'll jump all over any old quote. 

Same last year with the security. Hold up 2-3% of people at the gates who go on social media bitching about the security and the queues meaning any would be attacker stayed at home. 

In short, they're shameless liars. Post truth stuff. Don't believe anything they say. They're the Steve Bannon of the festival world. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

As it stands, given who's a potential candidate due to their touring cycles, Madge, Mac and Monkey Alan is the best case scenario for next year.

would be a superb trio - if past years are to go by a strong trio can happen

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It wouldnt surprise me if that's the list on the farm's fridge door, with folk like Liam Gallagher on the reserves list if Madge or Mac dont budge on the payday.

I'm just not convinced the 1975 will be a first option

33 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They'll be looking at what happens to The 1975's new stuff.

Their single died a death....although looking at their wiki it turns out they've never actually had a hit single.

Maybe i'm just not giving a new band a chance but they haven't set the world on fire as much as they should to validate a headline slot. I also think they could still comfortably sub as they haven't done that yet

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Maybe i'm just not giving a new band a chance but they haven't set the world on fire as much as they should to validate a headline slot. I also think they could still comfortably sub as they haven't done that yet

See what the next tour does, they were doing arenas on the last round. If the next album takes off they'll be in massive outdoor territory.

Can't say I like them, but they seem big enough to do it to me.

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It'd be surprising if it fared worse in the long run that the new Monos Frios album. Seems that the festival sets are already burying those tunes.

I hope that come Glastonbury time they double down on all the lunar loungecore stuff and only do the one about the dancefloor in a Bontempi Boss Nova style.  Neil Lonsdale howling in rage as Matt Helders sits out another song and the singer bloke breaks out the panpipes.

1 minute ago, Lubic87 said:

1975 will be sub at best, I'd imagine. Are they any bigger than Foals / XX / Florence / Alt-J etc? I feel that even those acts appeal to a wider demographic / age range.

Right now they might not be, but if the next album takes off they'll be ready.

And yes, they're already much bigger than Alt-fucking-J!

Going back to Madge, if it was a 90 minute greatest hits set I'd be all over it. Although from what I've read on here she doesn't really go for that these days, think I'd heard of about half of the setlist posted further up. I don't like that ratio, especially if I have to stand through some five minute new album track to hear a 30 second snippet of Vogue.

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Going back to Madge, if it was a 90 minute greatest hits set I'd be all over it. Although from what I've read on here she doesn't really go for that these days, think I'd heard of about half of the setlist posted further up. I don't like that ratio, especially if I have to stand through some five minute new album track to hear a 30 second snippet of Vogue.

I think after a few highly publicised over considered missteps from the likes of Bruce, U2, Gorillaz, Kanye etc, the big acts just need to look at Neil Young or Blur or Beyonce or The Stones on how to nail a Glasto headline set. 

Shes too savvy and too much of an Anglophile not to get it in my opinion. 

Edit: Has Neil made the "oldies slot" gag yet? :prankster:

Edited by The Nal