The Kinks

neil_clarky

They're a tough one to place. Leonard Cohen / Roger Waters-style extended sub slot would feel like the best fit if that's feasible any more.

I just dont think they'd have the show / chops to entertain a crowd to headline standard. They've been out the game too long, and even back when they were still a going concern they weren't playing to big crowds 

6 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Surely a Kinks reunion would be as big a deal as a Verve reunion in 2008?

So a damp squib?

The Verve were huge, albeit very briefly. The Kinks were never that big and should probably measured more in terms of influence than in sales.  It's probably more like when Mike Love let Brian Wilson back in the Beach Boys or when (obviously a long time ago now) the Velvet Underground got back together.

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

So a damp squib?

The Verve were huge, albeit very briefly. The Kinks were never that big and should probably measured more in terms of influence than in sales.  It's probably more like when Mike Love let Brian Wilson back in the Beach Boys or when (obviously a long time ago now) the Velvet Underground got back together.

Yeah I'm not saying it'd be anything more than that.

Fair enough, though. Having not been alive for The Kinks' peak and being around 3 years old during The Verve's peak I can't really contest that view. The Kinks have always seemed like a much bigger deal to me but like you suggest that's probably because of their influence/legacy than them ever being massive.

Realistically the setlist would contain broadly the same songs as when Ray played in 2010.  Adding the brand name and Dave back into the mix would garner them a fair bit more interest.....but the question would be 'how much more?'

I could see them playing a Kinksfest day in Hyde Park where they're supported by all their descedents and every wellend in Christendom drives down on their lambretta......but I think that they would be a minor and ultimately disappointing Glastonbury headliner.

This archive Guardian article from 1993 is a cracker:

'It's very unfortunate,' said Mr Eavis, aged 57. 'It was a dispute between the black gang that were involved with that scam and hippy convoy kids that were trying to avoid the scam. It's the first time anybody has been close to death here in 23 years. It's very depressing.'

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/1993/jun/28/glastonbury2003.glastonbury?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAE4AQ%3D%3D#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fmusic%2F1993%2Fjun%2F28%2Fglastonbury2003.glastonbury

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Realistically the setlist would contain broadly the same songs as when Ray played in 2010.  Adding the brand name and Dave back into the mix would garner them a fair bit more interest.....but the question would be 'how much more?'

I could see them playing a Kinksfest day in Hyde Park where they're supported by all their descedents and every wellend in Christendom drives down on their lambretta......but I think that they would be a minor and ultimately disappointing Glastonbury headliner.

I saw them in 1994 in Folkestone, and for every banger played, there was another that only the band and a few diehards seemed to know, resulting in a bit of a deflated gig. 

Their Sunny Afternoon musical did very well recently, and won awards (rightfully too, great show), so I'd say their stock has risen since then. If they stick to the hits they'd be great in the Legends spot, or even subbing. They've got such a great catalogue to delve into, it could be a real 'follow that!' set. 

2020 would be appropriate, to play 50 years after they pulled out of headlining the first one. 

Get 'em in the 3am Hell stage slot. 

I reckon this reunion will be met with a lot of 'They're still alive?'/'They broke up?', they don't seem likely to top of most wishlists to get back together to most people. I'd like to be wrong about that mind. They're like really really old, would they even be that good as a headliner?

Ray was great in 2010, the pyramid field was the emptiest I've ever seen it on a Sunday as well, I was lying down dead far forward through him and Slash, it was fucking pleasant man.

Heres the setlist of a show they performed 4 days before the Glastonbury 1993 gig.

Allowing for this being pre-internet and so memories might not be what they were in terms of getting it right.....lord have mercy.

1. (with A Gallon of Gas intro)
  2. (Dave Davies song)
  3. (Dave Davies song)

Here's the setlist from 2009 Acoustic tent. It was almost perfection (missing Victoria and You Really Got Me). No choir either thankfully, which I didn't like that much. Thing is, I've only ever heard these tunes acoustically, I'd love to hear them in their original form. TBH I don't think Dave playing makes much difference.

1. I Need You

2. Where Have All The Good Times Gone

3. Til the End of the Day

4. Apeman

5. Dedicated Follower of Fashion

6. Autumn Almanac

7. Sunny Afternoon

8. Celluloid Heroes

9. A Well Respected Man

10. I'm Not Like Everybody Else

11. Dead End Street

12. Tired of Waiting for You

13. Days

14. All Day and All of the Night

15. Waterloo Sunset

16. Lola

53 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Any act would kill for a final 5 songs like that.

Make that final 6. Dead End Street is superb. I love The Kinks. I'll be straight there if they do some gigs. I don't expect them to be able to perform like the Stones do, but just hearing a set full of them songs would be great. 

On 6/29/2018 at 6:41 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Here's the setlist from 2009 Acoustic tent. It was almost perfection (missing Victoria and You Really Got Me). No choir either thankfully, which I didn't like that much. Thing is, I've only ever heard these tunes acoustically, I'd love to hear them in their original form. TBH I don't think Dave playing makes much difference.

1. I Need You

2. Where Have All The Good Times Gone

3. Til the End of the Day

4. Apeman

5. Dedicated Follower of Fashion

6. Autumn Almanac

7. Sunny Afternoon

8. Celluloid Heroes

9. A Well Respected Man

10. I'm Not Like Everybody Else

11. Dead End Street

12. Tired of Waiting for You

13. Days

14. All Day and All of the Night

15. Waterloo Sunset

16. Lola

He played much of that set at the Glastonbury Extravaganza with his band a few years ago. That was a terrific evening.

Edited by Ommadawn