This time last year I was....

One Tonne Baby

To get us through this tough time, today is exactly a year since the gates opened to Glastonbury 2017, probably my favourite year I've been to.

So tell us exactly what you were up to a year ago. It could be specific to the time you're posting or a summary of the whole day!

I had been queuing since about 4am. After the slight worry of what 'bag searches' meant and the joyous roar of the crowd as the gates opened, we were in and set up by 9am. After a slightly embarrassing chase of a milk van we headed off into the festival. I bought a jurassic park bumbag and a disgusting hawaiian shirt and looked for alcohol. Because I had been up all night, it felt like it was the early afternoon and I was confused that I was struggled to get a beer, at Glastonbury! It was of course, about 9.15am and after spotting 3 people with cider I meekly asked them where they got it and they pointed me towards the Somerset Cider stall. Cider and hotdog in hand, at this very moment a year ago I was laying under the multiple signposts in Williams Green, getting some shade and sipping my cider full of excitement about what the weekend was about to bring.

Now you. 

Edited by One Tonne Baby
  • Upvote 2

Wasn't that yesterday?

Anyway, I think I was on a mass hike to tent hero @Titters/ @Titters2's car to partially payback his efforts of the day before carrying in my (and several other people's) tents.

It probably equated to about 1% of the effort he'd put in and guilt levels were going through the roof.  

If we're talking about the Thursday I was just surfacing from my double bed in my yurt :ninja: after a night at the NYC Downlow and having gone to the stone circle for the sunrise (it was cloudy) but still worth the experience

I was feeling a bit worse for wear but still had 4 days of festival ahead of me after what was one of the best Wednedays I've ever had at Glasto so up for what the next day would bring 

This time last year we were on a sweltering coach down from Manchester. Upon arrival to our horror the toilet had leaked piss (and thankfully only piss) all over our rucksacks. It was the grimmest walk into Glasto ever! Thankfully everything was packed in plastic carrier bags so our stuff was ok. We ended up camping right next to Gate A as opposed to the year before where we ended up in the furthest outskirts of the campsites. Went onto have one of my favourite Glasto's so far.

This time Wed last year was probably still in that 'kin snake outside Gate D - the one where whenever you thought you had finally turned the corner, there was only yet another snake in the next field to traverse. Or maybe I'd got in by then - can't remember. If I had then I would have been melting as it went to meet a mate by the tree on the NE corner of Pennards to see where he was camped in there.

Thursday - probably at Brothers Bar getting messy. I think we were considering going to see The Smyths, which everyone else in the site did in the end as well, completely ramming Williams Green.

If memory serves me correctly (unlikely) I think I was at @Sawdusty Surfer's glorious table getting hammered in thw sunshine with @stuartbert two hats and@Seldom Seen Kid, and I think @fatyeti24 and @H.M.V (still with us at that point?), having acquired a bottle of mead from @mr gumby. The night did not end well :lol:

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Quark said:

If memory serves me correctly (unlikely) I think I was at @Sawdusty Surfer's glorious table getting hammered in thw sunshine with @stuartbert two hats and@Seldom Seen Kid, and I think @fatyeti24 and @H.M.V (still with us at that point?), having acquired a bottle of mead from @mr gumby. The night did not end well :lol:

Oh yes it did!

EDIT: I ended up leaving with the mead, @Seldom Seen Kid and a non-efester (the horror)

Edited by stuartbert two hats

I'm not entirely sure where I ended up. I have a vague memory of meeting up with some people at Baggy Mondays, stumbling over to the Glade for a bit of Orbital, and possibly the Giant Tree Light Show in Greenpeace.

Either you or SSK were supposed to give me a call so we could finish the mead and I never heard from either of you again!! :lol:

39 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'm not entirely sure where I ended up. I have a vague memory of meeting up with some people at Baggy Mondays, stumbling over to the Glade for a bit of Orbital, and possibly the Giant Tree Light Show in Greenpeace.

Either you or SSK were supposed to give me a call so we could finish the mead and I never heard from either of you again!! :lol:

It did get quite messy.

• Like 1

I didn't go.. First time since 1994 that I failed to get a ticket. 

This is the fifth fallow year since I've been going... and the fifth with glorious rain-free weather down here. There was one where it rained heavily on the Sunday afternoon but that's it. 

And of course last year when I failed to get a ticket was nice too. :) 

11 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Wednesday, I'd not been there that long due to shit bus time but by now was surely at the eFests meet, stickered up by @bennyhana22 and progressing to gently merry.

Yep, if we're talking Wednesday I was definitely well into it at the meet, getting dragged round by HMV and introduced to everyone, stickered by @deebeedoobee and being fed cherry bakewell by @Curlygirl

Actually being fed booze, and strangely enough flat peaches, by efesters proved to be a theme of the weekend :lol:

Edited by Quark