Whats wrong with 2018 line up and what would make 2019 better

LOCHLAND5

Ok this years line up has been a huge disappointment to many but tbh no one is really saying why ! The festival check in here now and then, so lets  tell them why and what you want in 2019 !

I think we all deep down know that kasabian/prodigy and The stone roses are far to expensive to be at kendal calling so we need to be realistic on our selections not just headliners but lower down acts as well .

Why its poor !

Rund Dmc .............. What on earth were they thinking ! They aint got 90 mins of hits !

Catfish .............. massive band but again only had 2 albums some great tunes but you know its gonna be flat in places all you want from a headliner is hits and the crowd interaction that comes with it!

James again !!!!!! Very lazy booking been at the festival a lot over the last 6 years and you know for a fact if they dont play sit down your gonna hear the moans from the kc crowd !

No real dance act on the main stage 

Nothing for the young un's pop wise ..... think clean bandit or Jess Glynne type act .

Far too much 90's 

Who do you want in 2019

The Courteeners 

Chemical Brothers 

i am going to say Liam Gallagher but im not as sure as i was on that these days !

Richard Ashcroft ............... even just for the verve hits 

Deacon Blue

Travis

Blossoms

Edited by LOCHLAND5

Run DMC are the only band I will actively avoid. Terrible booking in my eyes. They’re the only ones I skip on my playlist. Otherwise I’m quite happy with the line up. I don’t know of white lies/shed seven etc but upon listening to them, I can appreciate them! It’s all an education to me. 

I’d say be a bit original with the acts you’re bringing in. Kendal has a LOT or repeats attendees & the repetitiveness nature of the lineups will deter them imin the future. They need to remember that there is also so much competition out there on a smaller scale with lower prices with similar lineups. 

Finally, I also think we should push for big headliners, why not ? If the KC team think they’ll pass us off with bands playing their former glory hits in front of a loyal public every year, that’s what we’ll get. We won’t see improvements unless we ask for it. 

On 6/21/2018 at 10:40 AM, LOCHLAND5 said:

Ok this years line up has been a huge disappointment to many but tbh no one is really saying why ! The festival check in here now and then, so lets  tell them why and what you want in 2019 !

I think we all deep down know that kasabian/prodigy and The stone roses are far to expensive to be at kendal calling so we need to be realistic on our selections not just headliners but lower down acts as well .

Why its poor !

Rund Dmc .............. What on earth were they thinking ! They aint got 90 mins of hits !

Catfish .............. massive band but again only had 2 albums some great tunes but you know its gonna be flat in places all you want from a headliner is hits and the crowd interaction that comes with it!

James again !!!!!! Very lazy booking been at the festival a lot over the last 6 years and you know for a fact if they dont play sit down your gonna hear the moans from the kc crowd !

No real dance act on the main stage 

Nothing for the young un's pop wise ..... think clean bandit or Jess Glynne type act .

Far too much 90's 

Who do you want in 2019

The Courteeners 

Chemical Brothers 

i am going to say Liam Gallagher but im not as sure as i was on that these days !

Richard Ashcroft ............... even just for the verve hits 

Deacon Blue

Travis

Blossoms

REAL Basement Jaxx - not the cop out of them putting some records on!!

12 hours ago, Nelson23 said:

I’d say be a bit original with the acts you’re bringing in. Kendal has a LOT or repeats attendees & the repetitiveness nature of the lineups will deter them imin the future. They need to remember that there is also so much competition out there on a smaller scale with lower prices with similar lineups. 

Finally, I also think we should push for big headliners, why not ? If the KC team think they’ll pass us off with bands playing their former glory hits in front of a loyal public every year, that’s what we’ll get. We won’t see improvements unless we ask for it. 

to be fair it is one of the cheapest festivals still so thats why the headliners are never huge

On 6/22/2018 at 11:58 AM, gorfield said:

to be fair it is one of the cheapest festivals still so thats why the headliners are never huge

Nah.....£145 plus all the fees and post for my ticket. That`s top end I reckon on cost but not top end headliners.

It`s not going to down in price so they need to add quality right across the day plus the headliners imo.

Few years back they had Snoop subbing.

Bringing back the dance headliner on one of the nights would suit me. Chemical brothers would be ideal.

On 6/21/2018 at 3:43 PM, paddyclark said:

Replace Run DMC with Chemical Brothers and you would have seen few complaints about the line up..

Totally agree. There is just about enough to keep me interested but lacking in quality options especially in the afternoon slots.

Think I prefer their Electric Fields line up where it`s around £100 a ticket.

On 6/22/2018 at 11:58 AM, gorfield said:

I don’t think it is & now they’ve 2 options of VIP camping, that’s even more money they’re bringing in. Deer Lodge always does well so a lot of people there will have spent £200 for the weekend. 

Move no real issue with the acts, I’ll enjoy them all but they’ve all had better times & some smaller festivals have similar lineups. 

Glow Tent needs much more dance variety. Personally, I’m not interested in the more DnB nature of the recent years headliners. There’s lots of great DJ’s out there that must be available. I’d also like to see the Glow Tent double in size too. 

Main Stage 

I’d like to see something different in terms of current bands. The growth I’ve witnessed at KC over the past 10 years has come from the younger crowd so something current that guarantees an electric atmosphere would be great. A Chemical Brothers or Prodigy should be well within reach. I’d also like to see them develop a sound Sunday afternoon slot of a former great, similar to Glastonbury. Very few places could match a Main Stage scene as well as Kendal in a sunny Sunday afternoon. They have done this for a bit without making it to be an actual thing although it doesn’t look like they have this year. 

Calling Out

This also needs to be much bigger. I’ve no issues with the lineups in recent years but this years seems thin. The headliners recently should have been playing to a much bigger crowds but you cannot get a sniff of getting anywhere near at times & when you’re teetering in the outside, the noise is often drowned out by the booming Strongbow area. 

Lake Area

Why not have access to this again with a smallish capacity ? Acoustic sets or maybe a DJ set by Craig Charles, nice bar & mood lighting. Make it an upgradeable VIP area if need be with nice seating, toilets etc & cover those costs. 

Cinema Tent

Why ? Sorry to anyone that likes this area but I just don’t get it ? Make this area bigger now you don’t have the Jaegerhaus & put an outdoor Stage there covering newer unground music popular with kids. UK hip hop, Makina, whatever. These unsigned artists have huge social media followings at times & they’d also help sell tickets quicker as they’d bring new people to the festival. 

Soapbox

A little too small but no issue with the lineups ever. Honestly, comedy clubs are popping up all over the UK right now & people are seeing decent name comedians at their local social club now so when they see them at KC, this stages popularity will go up. 

Former Bulmers Stage

I think this is also a bit of a miss. Just a fun area with a lot of audience participation. It always seemed to pick you up when your battery levels were low. Not sure this has been adequately replaced.

Food & Drinks

No issues with the vendors apart from a few but why not create a couple of food court areas in the festival with lots of seating/tables for people to chill out in ? I’m guessing a lot of people go back & forth to their digs to sit & chill, taking potential revenue out of the Arena area. Sure the cost of this could be covered by the vendors on the premise of seeing increased business ?

That’s what I’d do to make it perfect. Obviously they’ve got to have the budget to do it but all seem to be within reach for me.

• Upvote 1

Off to see Chvrches subbing for the Killers today. 

Still think they would have been a smarter booking for the yoof than Run dmc.

Theres plenty already for old farts like me and Chvrches could easily fill 90mins. Will be interesting to see what size of crowd they get today.

• Upvote 1

More areas and new things to do.

The Lakeside was amazing the one year it was open to non VIP's , Sailor Jerry , Lunar 9 dance dome was cool, Bulmers area to name a few.

The loss of the Jaegar house and the announcement of the "Dance Village" which seems to be Glow, House and WKD , makes me think that these overcrowded areas will be bloody packed again.

The headliners are a bit meh, especially when they could really grow and take advantage of no Glastonbury; RUN DMC seem like a good excuse to explore the Lost Eden bit when it's quieter, I would have really looked forward to The Libertines a few years ago but not so much now, looking forward to Catfish but they probably shouldn't be the main highlight of the weekend. 

I know they've said they've signed up to the Keychange thing to try and get more female artists on, but that must either be from next year or they've buried them lower in the lineup. Ocean Colour Scene, James, Shed Seven, White Lies, Sherlocks will all be good and I'm looking forward to them, but would have been a nice change to get Daughter/Wolf Alice/CHVRCHES in there. Headliners too, Lorde or Florence and the Machine would have been much better Saturday night.

For next year; see above for Saturday, with Royal Blood, and/or Liam Gallagher, and/or Foals headlining. The Killers and/or Arctic Monkeys if you want to push the boat out a bit.

• 2 weeks later...