Glastonbury 1998.....memories. 20 years ago this week!

gooner1990

Very sad to say this is the only Glastonbury where I haven't gone home on the Monday.  I remember it raining constantly from when we arrived Thursday to when we left Saturday afternoon.  I can take a bit of mud, 1997 was one of my best, but standing in the constant rain just sucked all the life out of me. 

From memory (hazy and untrustworthy at best) I remember spending most of Friday in the bar at the bottom of the Pylon field next to the Pyramid field (Michael's Mead?).  It was a swamp in there but at least it wasn't pissing it down.  There was a hole in that was masked by the flood.  Every time a new comer wondered in (including me initially) they hit the hole not expecting it and fell arse over tit, at which point the entire tent erupted.  That kept us entertained for about 4 hours.

Woke up Saturday morning with the missus in our £15 Argos tent, which by that point was half filled with water.  We looked at each other and made the mad decision to put a stop to it there and then.

Worst decision I made, friends that stayed enjoyed the sun for the rest of the weekend and some damn fine music, Blur, Tony Bennet, Bob Dylan.

That did change my view on packing mind, which before then was tent, sleeping bag, Beer, consumables, a pair of shorts, trainers and sunnies. 

That was my 3rd. They do blend together a bit but distinct 98 memories are wet mud, Bentley Rhythm Ace, Tony Bennett, Robbie, showing around a group of my newbie mates and asking my mate to be my girlfriend, under a double rainbow. She said yes.

• Upvote 1

Our first Glastonbury, tickets were bought after queuing up at Solo Music in town, nervous we might not get any as there was a load of people in front of us in the queue. Remember celebrating this with an all day session in our local. 

Sonic Youth, Bob Dylan, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Taj Mahal & The Phantom Blues Band, Finley Quaye, Laika, Monaco, St Etienne, Ian Brown, Tricky, Pulp, Blur, these are the few I remember seeing whole sets of, heard a bit of Catatonia & Embrace on our way to/from the New Bands Tent. 

On the Sunday we were way across to the right of the Pyramid field, just in front of a ditch which separated it from camping, remember some drunk guy reeling around a few times and falling backwards on several occasions during Nick Cave's set. The dance tent incident was memorable. It was that cold and wet that our camping stove barely worked, recall a meal of Campbells meatballs, tinned spuds and beans all cooked in the same pan tasting far better than it should after a mid morning drenching en route to the bog. 

Still have the camping stove, it still has 98 mud on its base too.