Pumpkins??

Zoo Music Girl

Just now, danbailey80 said:

I doubt Emily Eavis was referring to a Billy Corgan solo slot being the rock slot. SP are on hols during Glastonbury time so we're only getting Billy if anything. He might just be acoustic too. 

I'd love SP but just can't see it happening in the middle of a solo tour.

Smashing Pumpkins are playing in the middle of his solo tour though - Open'er on the 4th July. Not at all out the realms of possibility that after his show in Utrecht he'll meet up with the rest of the band at Glasto

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'd potentially be up for a bit of Billy doing acoustic Pumpkins numbers, even if he is a bit of a knob.

You've just reminded me of this (quality's not great unfortunately);

Back in MTV2's heyday they used to play this fairly regularly and I was pretty obsessed with it. Taped it off the telly the wore the tape out playing it back. Any possibility of him breaking out this would have me front row centre.

• Like 1

Not sure if it's already been posted but here's a 3 hour set with the original line up (except D'arcy anyway).

TBF I haven't made it all the way through it yet but the half I've seen has completely changed my mind about them playing again after Billy's last time on the farm.

With the very sad recent events, they could well be in with a chance of a slot again

4 hours ago, deadpheasant said:

Smashing Pumpkins are playing in the middle of his solo tour though - Open'er on the 4th July. Not at all out the realms of possibility that after his show in Utrecht he'll meet up with the rest of the band at Glasto

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility but I think it’s unlikely. I think the rumour is that Pumpkins turned down Werchter cos it was in the middle of their break, so I don’t see them doing Glasto in spite of it.

5 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Not sure if it's already been posted but here's a 3 hour set with the original line up (except D'arcy anyway).

TBF I haven't made it all the way through it yet but the half I've seen has completely changed my mind about them playing again after Billy's last time on the farm.

With the very sad recent events, they could well be in with a chance of a slot again

What is wrong with that crowd? Zero kicks in and one person moves a bit. 

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility but I think it’s unlikely. I think the rumour is that Pumpkins turned down Werchter cos it was in the middle of their break, so I don’t see them doing Glasto in spite of it.

Their break was initially going to be between Download on 16th June and Mad Cool on 12th July but since then they've announced Open'er on the 4th July and Billy has announced a solo tour 17th-25th June & a date on the 8th July.

Seems a bit strange for SP just to play that one festival date during their supposed break.

Just because they're not playing Werchter doesn't mean they're not playing Glasto. Maybe they could only choose one and logistically it was better for the band to just stay in the UK.

If the Billy shows are just acoustic or at least very stript back back-line then that's different. It probably leaves SP more available. If Billy has another band on the go for his solo shows then I can't see him flipping between 2 different paid backing bands. Makes no sense. 

Either way I can't see SP playing after lunch on the Other. They just played the biggest arenas in the UK. Its second from top or headlining. 

1 minute ago, danbailey80 said:

Either way I can't see SP playing after lunch on the Other. They just played the biggest arenas in the UK. Its second from top or headlining. 

...or in the third down rock/metal slot on the Pyramid which is literally the only place they’ll play if they’re on the lineup.

37 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

...or in the third down rock/metal slot on the Pyramid which is literally the only place they’ll play if they’re on the lineup.

Oh, didn't realise the rock slot was there. That could work. Especially if they are properly announced separately in the run up. Make it more of a 'thing'. 

Who else has been suggested? It's got to be someone relatively known/ mainstream to do pyramid in that slot. 

I.e not Alice and Chains (shame). But possibly Prophets of Rage. 

10 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

They sub-headlined Other in 2013, though. 

This tour seems a much bigger deal, though. I don't think they'd accept a slot lower than Other headline/Pyramid sub. That might just mean they aren't booked mind you. 

1 hour ago, deadpheasant said:

Their break was initially going to be between Download on 16th June and Mad Cool on 12th July but since then they've announced Open'er on the 4th July and Billy has announced a solo tour 17th-25th June & a date on the 8th July.

Seems a bit strange for SP just to play that one festival date during their supposed break.

Just because they're not playing Werchter doesn't mean they're not playing Glasto. Maybe they could only choose one and logistically it was better for the band to just stay in the UK.

That one festival date is only four days before the resumption of their tour. Then the mooted slot at Glasto is a week before that. Bit of a leap, no? Tbh I don’t think Billy’s shows do much to change the shape of things - he’s clearly just doing that in and around the already announced dates. Making that ?.

8 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

I've purposely been avoiding the videos of their new tour so it's completely fresh when I see them in the summer. However I buckled and skimmed through some of that set.

There's some alternate reality (the same one where Gaga is headlining) where SP are big enough to headline the Pyramid and put on one of the all time great sets. Their current show deserves to headline any festival. 

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Just tune in for free online via Prison Planet.

I like that Intergender Wrestling Championship show that WPC does on Saturday mornings.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I've purposely been avoiding the videos of their new tour so it's completely fresh when I see them in the summer. However I buckled and skimmed through some of that set.

There's some alternate reality (the same one where Gaga is headlining) where SP are big enough to headline the Pyramid and put on one of the all time great sets. Their current show deserves to headline any festival. 

Honestly it’s such piss that their shows this summer with most of the gang back together are support shows and not the three hour sets they were blessing fans with last autumn.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jparx said:

Even in their prime they were never much of a live contender.  Tinny sounding, most subtlety lost and L'il Pump shrieking too much.