Godiva Festival 2018

TheWaters

Godiva have just announced Jonas Blue, Professor Green, Little Comets and Blood Red Shoes. They join Sunday headliner Ronan Keating as well as Gabrielle somewhere on the Saturday. Very very good for a free fest considering Jonas Blue has been top of the charts and he's not even headlining. Generally seems the acts so far are the strongest they've been so far even if there aren't many. Probably down to the City of Culture winning bid and 20th anniversary of the fest.

1 hour ago, Callum_96 said:

Was told Jake Bugg would be headlining the Saturday night, apparently the council paid him 35k for the privilege of his acoustic set 

Ffs. Not happy with the headliners if it is him then (Him and Ronan oh god) but undercard is strong so far. I know someone put the organisers in contact with IDLES to try and get them and they're "in the mix" so that would do wonders if they were the Friday night rock tent headliners.

Where've you heard this about Bugg?

2 hours ago, TheWaters said:

Ffs. Not happy with the headliners if it is him then (Him and Ronan oh god) but undercard is strong so far. I know someone put the organisers in contact with IDLES to try and get them and they're "in the mix" so that would do wonders if they were the Friday night rock tent headliners.

Where've you heard this about Bugg?

Someone I know working for the council, not gonna lie Life is a rollercoaster will be cracking live haha!! 

If they manage to bag IDLES I'll be very happy, could see them being tent headliners for the Friday, would make some sense as well after they played the central library around April time as well

• Like 1

Whilst I agree its the strongest in terms of name power for a while, it does absolutely nothing for me whatsoever so will probably give it a miss. I only popped over on the Saturday for a bit last year and wasn't too great. Shame this has had some cracking line ups in the past but seems to be heading in a pop direction instead of the indie/rock way it always was. 

1 hour ago, luckysalt said:

Whilst I agree its the strongest in terms of name power for a while, it does absolutely nothing for me whatsoever so will probably give it a miss. I only popped over on the Saturday for a bit last year and wasn't too great. Shame this has had some cracking line ups in the past but seems to be heading in a pop direction instead of the indie/rock way it always was. 

To be fair we've only had the top of the mainstage on Saturday and the Sunday headliner, Saturday is usually the more pop day anyway, and that Sunday headline spot. I'm expecting the usual rock and indie for the Friday main and rock tent, and Sunday undercard.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:07 PM, Callum_96 said:

Was told Jake Bugg would be headlining the Saturday night, apparently the council paid him 35k for the privilege of his acoustic set 

Right about Jake Bugg although he's headlining the Friday. Odd as Friday is usually the day for an older band (Boomtown Rats, The Stranglers, Buzzcocks in recent years) but kinda happy about that as I can go see whoever headlines the rock tent without worrying who I'm missing. Also means the Saturday headliner must be pretty big to be above Jonas Blue and bigger than Jake Bugg for the Saturday slot.

Rae Morris is a great addition really like her new album. Kyle Falconer is a good little booking too. Not too keen on The View but I'll have a listen to his solo album when it comes out.

On 6/20/2018 at 5:55 PM, TheWaters said:

To be fair we've only had the top of the mainstage on Saturday and the Sunday headliner, Saturday is usually the more pop day anyway, and that Sunday headline spot. I'm expecting the usual rock and indie for the Friday main and rock tent, and Sunday undercard.

Its only been poppy since last year, all years prior to that the Saturday has been Indie/Rock.

Seems like they're going in a different direction from now on. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't going to bother this year but Blood Red Shoes, Little Comets, Rae Morris, Kyle Falconer, Editors and Gaz Coombes makes for a strong day, even with shit like Jonas Blue and Gabrielle. Some great local bands too in The Unresolved,Candid and Duck Thieves. Still hopeful of IDLES headlining the Friday rock tent, I know for a fact they were in talks. Still a good chunk of the lineup to be announced too, shaping up to be a good year besides Ronan lmao. Hopefully Sunday undercard is decent as I've booked the whole weekend off work and would be a bit of a shit one if I've booked it off for Ronan.

1 hour ago, TheWaters said:

Jesus Christ that's a shit rock night. Cradle of Filth and Redline topping it. Guess all the money went on the mainstage this year.

Mate I think they've spent the next 5 years budget on this years line up. God knows what next year will be like. Cheeky Girls headlining Main

5 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

Mate I think they've spent the next 5 years budget on this years line up. God knows what next year will be like. Cheeky Girls headlining Main

Think they've gone all out for the Saturday + Friday headliner and sub and then just done whatever they can for the rest. That Sunday is dire hahah, Ronan Keating, Hazel O'Connor, Neville Staples subbing the main???? he played about 2pm in the tent a couple years ago. And I thought Sunday last year was shite haha.