Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

6 hours ago, thetime said:

They should be unhappy. 

they put out a 2nd team. If they wanted to win at all costs they wouldn't have.

That 2nd team did OK, but the chance of losing was always there.

(was quite impressed with Sturridge, he put in a proper shift, contributed all round the pitch, and seemed to have lost some of that sleepy pace he normally plays at)

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

they put out a 2nd team. If they wanted to win at all costs they wouldn't have.

That 2nd team did OK, but the chance of losing was always there.

(was quite impressed with Sturridge, he put in a proper shift, contributed all round the pitch, and seemed to have lost some of that sleepy pace he normally plays at)

Are Liverpool not interested in winning trophies?  

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Utd put out a 2nd-string team the other night too, didn't they? Are they not interested in winning trophies?

United are just shit, nothing to do with a 2nd string side. 

United should of put more emphasis on the league cup, as winning the league or champions league isn’t very likely. 

You could argue Liverpool have a cracking chance of the title this season, putting your eggs into one basket though. 

4 minutes ago, thetime said:

You could argue Liverpool have a cracking chance of the title this season, putting your eggs into one basket though. 

I think they're hoping to go for more than just that - but all challenges are weakened if they play the strongest team in all games.

C'mon, weakened teams is just about standard by all teams in the early rounds of the LC.

Liverpool's mistake last night wasn't starting with a weakened team, it was not strengthening when Chelsea put Hazard on the pitch. That put Chelsea in prime position for the rest of the match, and with just a one goal lead that was a risky thing to do - and so it proved.

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Again, a bit sad.

Sad to pretend you're not bothered just to look cool. Sort of the football equivelant of only liking a band before they get big. 

Chelsea fans could argue there's no rivalry with Liverpool too; it's not like they've challenged Chelsea for a trophy in a while... But they don't... Because there obviously is... Like I said, just bcos it isn't United / Liverpool, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Pointless arguing over a word tho. Great comeback last night and magic from Hazard. Different game on Sat but same again please. Over and out.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I find giving Southgate a 4 year contract making him the best paid international manager in the world strange, I just don't think there would be a queue of top domestic clubs looking to poach him.

the FA has simply moved on, from being a clique of old school ties, to a different sort of clique where Southgate is the perfect man for the job.

Can't have anything that rocks the clique. Sven was knocking them down left right and centre, remember.

10 hours ago, jyoung said:

Sad to pretend you're not bothered just to look cool. Sort of the football equivelant of only liking a band before they get big. 

Chelsea fans could argue there's no rivalry with Liverpool too; it's not like they've challenged Chelsea for a trophy in a while... But they don't... Because there obviously is... Like I said, just bcos it isn't United / Liverpool, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Pointless arguing over a word tho. Great comeback last night and magic from Hazard. Different game on Sat but same again please. Over and out.

Chelsea are the only people talking about a rivalry, it’s sad because they don’t have any to speak of. LFC already have rivals.

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

don't think there's any issues with Joe, he's looking as good as VvD.

The problem will be with Matip or Lovren if there's a problem.

I agree, I see Gomez as the best to replace VvD. Lovren and Matip have well-known flaws but Gomez doesn't seem to have any significant weaknesses. It's a big test for him being the main guy in that defence.

I think Matip is quite unfairly criticised when he is grouped in with Lovren like the above. 

I realise these stats are not a perfect indicator because of the games he plays in, but Liverpool's win percentage with him in the team is far higher than without him...

1 hour ago, mjsell said:

I think Matip is quite unfairly criticised when he is grouped in with Lovren like the above. 

I realise these stats are not a perfect indicator because of the games he plays in, but Liverpool's win percentage with him in the team is far higher than without him...

I think Matip has been decent, tho I also think he's 'responsible' for much of Lovren's (often deserved) bad rep - cos Matip gets to play in his preferred position, while Lovren gets shuffled left if they're both on the pitch. Lovren is far better when he plays on the right.

Gomez was great when he covered for VvD on the left mid-week, so if it's Matip and Gomez today that's a pretty solid pairing - tho Chelsea will be a tough gig whatever.