Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

Pre season friendly yeah but Utd had 0 shots on target, 1 corner, 28% possession and only made 219 passes last night against Bayern. All the way to Germany for that. Pointless. Oh and Herrera and Bailly got injured. ?

More importantly though, what in the name of Jumping Jesus is going on with West Broms mascot?

33 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Pre season friendly yeah but Utd had 0 shots on target, 1 corner, 28% possession and only made 219 passes last night against Bayern. All the way to Germany for that. Pointless. Oh and Herrera and Bailly got injured. ?

I'm starting to think Jose is doing it on purpose as if to prove a point to the owners that he needs money. That or to lower the expectations of other teams about what they're going to come up against when they face United. There is no way the United players are as bad as the performances and stats would suggest, even if it is only pre-season.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Looks like Rondon for Gayle is happening. I'm happy enough with this as we should have someone who at least knows where the net is.

He was unreal in that league for us. Personally think it's daft that we're doing a loan swap as I think we could have done with Gayle for back up.

In other news, the Newcastle squad are refusing to do any media because our stupid owner has offered them a shitty squad bonus again.

7 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

He was unreal in that league for us. Personally think it's daft that we're doing a loan swap as I think we could have done with Gayle for back up.

In other news, the Newcastle squad are refusing to do any media because our stupid owner has offered them a shitty squad bonus again.

I kind of feel the opposite. I think a loan swap is good value, Rondon's in the last year of his WBA contract, whereas Gayle isn't, which is always better in terms of transfer fees at the end, and while I've expressed plenty of doubts about Rondon beforehand, he's got a season with a number 9 shirt to prove to any club that will have him (including potentially us), that he's worth a good contract at the end of it. I'd much prefer that than a 3 year deal and ending up trying to get rid of him 2 years later like we always do with strikers.

8 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Mike Ashley has responded to the criticism. He's rattled!

His response is a load of shite too. Boasting about the club bouncing back from relegation and not doing a Leeds. How about the fact that he took us down, TWICE!

Where?

I don't think Arsenal have much hope of top 4 tbh. Defence is still shite and Sokratis doesn't change that one bit. Chambers is going on loan to Fulham which is strange unless there's another CB coming in, although the main one being linked atm is Vida which would be awful.

City first, Pool second, United/Spurs/Chelsea fighting for third and fourth. Hope we get a Mourinho special and United have a complete breakdown.

Actually, having said the above, if Sarri doesn't click with Chelsea from the off they may not be any better than Arsenal, so I guess that coupled with a Mourinho meltdown could be enough for Arsenal to scrape top 4.

For relegation, Cardiff, Huddersfield and probably Watford.

Golden boot Auba.

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I don't think Arsenal have much hope of top 4 tbh. Defence is still shite and Sokratis doesn't change that one bit. Chambers is going on loan to Fulham which is strange unless there's another CB coming in, although the main one being linked atm is Vida which would be awful.

City first, Pool second, United/Spurs/Chelsea fighting for third and fourth. Hope we get a Mourinho special and United have a complete breakdown.

Actually, having said the above, if Sarri doesn't click with Chelsea from the off they may not be any better than Arsenal, so I guess that coupled with a Mourinho meltdown could be enough for Arsenal to scrape top 4.

For relegation, Cardiff, Huddersfield and probably Watford.

Golden boot Auba.

They strengthened this season and last. Spurs have spend nothing. Chelski might have a top player leave without replacement. Mourinho breakdown feels imminent. 4 of the top 6 are in a problematic situation.

10 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I kind of feel the opposite. I think a loan swap is good value, Rondon's in the last year of his WBA contract, whereas Gayle isn't, which is always better in terms of transfer fees at the end, and while I've expressed plenty of doubts about Rondon beforehand, he's got a season with a number 9 shirt to prove to any club that will have him (including potentially us), that he's worth a good contract at the end of it. I'd much prefer that than a 3 year deal and ending up trying to get rid of him 2 years later like we always do with strikers.

Worth noting that we do have the option of an extra year on Rondon's contract, so we can extend it if we wish.

19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd seen that too, and wondered if anyone would mention it. :lol: 

Over a season? No. Overall? Probably.

Interesting stuff though, particularly re Stoke who, if that stuff is to be believed, wouldn't have been relegated. I wonder how many would have been overturned by VAR?