Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

2 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

That was some Sunday league shit from Chelsea keeper today. Unreal.

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

I didn’t agree with swapping the keepers but when you get the hook you’ve got to walk.

There will be kids playing at grassroots refusing to come off next week - ridiculous behaviour from the keeper.

Firstly I would like to thank our rag neighbours for doing us a good turn today. The rags were hobbling round on one leg and yet the Scousers could not break them down. Liverpool have no momentum and no midfield. United were there for the taking yesterday.

Fair play to Chelsea, they were the better team second half. Draw was a fair result and anything can happen in penalties. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot though. No idea what was going through the keepers head. He made it all about him rather than the team, then he fudges Sergio's penalty. The lack of leadership on the pitch from the Chelsea players was disturbing. No one backed the manager. His position is now untenable. He needs to call it in now and just hang it till Chelsea sack him and pay him off. He has been treated very bad at Chelsea by the fans, media and players. I would not mind but I don't think he has actually done too bad. You can't change a footballing culture in 6 months, he needs support and assistance, not derision.

Oh and City won another trophy. One down, are there any more to come?

32 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The rags were hobbling round on one leg and yet the Scousers could not break them down. Liverpool have no momentum and no midfield. United were there for the taking yesterday.

you haven't noticed for the last 2+ years that Liverpool have big difficulty breaking down any team that continually puts 11 men behind the ball? That was a Moaniho special yesterday.  

I certainly agree that given how it went Liverpool should have done better, but then again they've been out of form for the last 2 months and I didn't really expect much different; I'd predicted a loss.

PS: if no midfield is utter dominance I think you watched a different game.

Edited by eFestivals

3 hours ago, eastynh said:

Fair play to Chelsea, they were the better team second half. Draw was a fair result and anything can happen in penalties. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot though. No idea what was going through the keepers head. He made it all about him rather than the team, then he fudges Sergio's penalty. The lack of leadership on the pitch from the Chelsea players was disturbing. No one backed the manager. His position is now untenable. He needs to call it in now and just hang it till Chelsea sack him and pay him off. He has been treated very bad at Chelsea by the fans, media and players. I would not mind but I don't think he has actually done too bad. You can't change a footballing culture in 6 months, he needs support and assistance, not derision.

It's a bit of a bummer for us, as you said, we had the better of the second half and a victory could have been a bit of a turning point for us but alas. Thought Kante was great. Hazard and Emerson stood out as well. Jorginho's pen is awful. I get that he's scored like that before but taking it that way means there is a huge risk and essentially, in my opinion, you are giving yourself less chance of scoring. Not impressed. Which is annoying as I thought he played well. I agree with you completely though. We played a different style before Sarri arrived; it's going to take time. We need to get behind him and back him. Is that gonna happen though? Probs not. Oh and next up... Spurs!

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

you haven't noticed for the last 2+ years that Liverpool have big difficulty breaking down any team that continually puts 11 men behind the ball? That was a Moaniho special yesterday.  

I certainly agree that given how it went Liverpool should have done better, but then again they've been out of form for the last 2 months and I didn't really expect much different; I'd predicted a loss.

PS: if no midfield is utter dominance I think you watched a different game.

You think Liverpool dominated that game yesterday? I thought United were very clever. Liverpool did not look like scoring at all yesterday. United were happy to let Liverpools midfield faff about with it in the middle of the pitch as they offer no attacking threat at all. United sat back and gave Liverpools front 3 no space in behind. The longer the game went on, the more comfortable United got. 

United were decimated yesterday and were there for the taking. Can't keep messing up opportunites like that.

11 minutes ago, eastynh said:

You think Liverpool dominated that game yesterday?

You said "midfield" initially, not "the game".

they dominated the midfield. Mostly utd couldn't get out from the back.

I thought United were very clever. Liverpool did not look like scoring at all yesterday. United were happy to let Liverpools midfield faff about with it in the middle of the pitch as they offer no attacking threat at all. United sat back and gave Liverpools front 3 no space in behind. The longer the game went on, the more comfortable United got. 

yep, i agree.

A Moaniho special.

United were decimated yesterday and were there for the taking. Can't keep messing up opportunites like that.

Again, I agree. :) 

Tho to be fair, just as Utd's injuries changed what they were able to do, the loss of Bobby - Liverpool's only creative - changed what Liverpool might have done too (they'd have stood more chance of scoring, anyway).

But it turned out much like I expected, much like Utd / Liverpool for many times over the years. Liverpool applying most of the pressure, and Utd getting the occasional break; about the only difference to the norm was that Utd didn't score.

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Add Jones to that injury list. 

No surprise it’s starting to bite now, players are asked to play entirely different to the Jose/van gaal era.

Liverpool had similar problems when klopp took over.

hopefully it will give Chong a chance, bit unfortunate that greenwood is also out though. 

3 minutes ago, thetime said:

No surprise it’s starting to bite now, players are asked to play entirely different to the Jose/van gaal era.

Liverpool had similar problems when klopp took over.

hopefully it will give Chong a chance, bit unfortunate that greenwood is also out though. 

Yeah Fergie said he took responsibility for injuries due to the style of play. Counter attack, stop, start, sprint etc. Same here maybe. Simplistic but makes sense. 

Not a good time for a big injury list though.

18 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah Fergie said he took responsibility for injuries due to the style of play. Counter attack, stop, start, sprint etc. Same here maybe. Simplistic but makes sense. 

Ole has to take responsibility for Lingard. Rushed him back and then subbed him on early when he knew he wasn't ready and already had Sanchez on the bench. Poor management.

14 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Better without Kane...

Haha, very true!

Tbh, when you have a player like that it's tough to leave him out while he's getting back to full fitness. I haven't watched the game so don't know if that's the issue, but it's hard to imagine that it'll have helped.