Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

20 minutes ago, mjsell said:

That's not a good argument 

It’s not the perfect measurement but it’s true that better players generally command higher wages. You offer Brazil, Belgium or France a choice of Columbia or England in the final and they would choose Columbia every time. I’m certainly not saying it is an amazing English team (probably doesn’t need to be this tournament) but they certainly aren’t the plucky underdogs some are making out.

6 minutes ago, Dan R said:

Yeah, that depends far more on the money in the league than the quality of the player, and English players go a a premium  due to homegrown players rules. Lots of the Colombia squad play for top clubs around Europe, and a few in top South American clubs which I have no idea about the quality of.

The top clubs in South America are no comparison to the best clubs in Europe. Listen to Tim Vickery and he will tell you they are getting worse.

26 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

What do people think about the 4th substitute rule which looks like it may now extend to other tournaments. I’m personally against it as I think it favours the big teams with depth on their bench.

in extra time

Yes, but only if there is an injury. and you have to wait 5 mins from the injury before you can make the sub

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

but they certainly aren’t the plucky underdogs some are making out.

Who are they? I haven’t seen this happening as you have referred to now a few times. 

All I’ve seen are comments about the team not having a star or stars that previous squads did (supposedly) have. 

What do people think about the 4th substitute rule which looks like it may now extend to other tournaments. I’m personally against it as I think it favours the big teams with depth on their bench.

I'm happy with it.

The point of football is that the best team is meant to win, so if the best team gets better advantage from its better squad, that's precisely how it's meant to go - and is the same no matter how many subs they get (even with none).

And if there is that extra advantage in the way you say (which there probably is) it's not a dreadful way to perhaps decide the winner between two teams when 90 minutes couldn't separate them.

Cos ultimately that's much more about the game of football than the lottery of penalties.

Edited by eFestivals

17 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Who are they? I haven’t seen this happening as you have referred to now a few times. 

All I’ve seen are comments about the team not having a star or stars that previous squads did (supposedly) have. 

I think the narative has been that quarter finals has exceeded expectations. I think in terms of the England squad strength and the draw at the start of the tournament quarter final is par. The way the draw has opened up England should be getting to the semis.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Ronaldo to Juventus actually looks like it might happen...

More I think about it the more it makes sense. Won everything with Real and can't really improve on 3 consecutive Champions Leagues, and he really struggled early in the season and will only physically decline. Will still get lots of prestige and trophies at Juve as well as being able to say he's done it in another top league.

24 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Will be interesting to see who Madrid sign to replace him. Doubt they can get Neymar or Mbappe this Summer. Hazard probably the most realistic target? Would love that.

The suggestion of Isco moving up into the spot Lopategui played him in the NT seems solid and timely. Probably Bale who gets replace from elsewhere (and the vacant CM spot).

39 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The suggestion of Isco moving up into the spot Lopategui played him in the NT seems solid and timely. Probably Bale who gets replace from elsewhere (and the vacant CM spot).

Didn't Lopetegui play a 433 with Isco on the wing? Why will there be a vacant CM spot with Casemiro, Modric and Kroos there?

Are you thinking Bale will be sold as well or just on the bench in favour of a new winger? I agree actually that Bale being replaced and Isco taking the LW position makes more sense, but I can't think of a RW who seems as suitable a signing as Hazard.

Looking at the current squad it seems to me like the best move would be to sign a top striker and have him flanked by Bale and Isco, but who is there that they could sign? Kane probably won't be attainable for them this Summer. Icardi?

Liverpool are lucky that Salah doesn't seem to want to leave.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Out of interest who would England fans want to win out of Croatia and Russia. Maybe im a conspiracy theorist but Croatia seems the safest option to me!

You’ll be pointing out that Amesbury is just next door to Porton Down next 

22 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Aren’t PSG struggling to fund the Mbappe deal?

I don't think so. It ended up counting towards last season's financial year as opposed to this one (which is what they were trying to achieve by loaning him with an obligation to buy rather than just buying him last Summer), which meant they had to raise a certain amount of money by 1st July to comply with FFP for the year and avoid sanctions. I'm pretty sure they raised the money they needed and ended up being fine. Now they're in a new financial year and can go out and spend again.

That's the only trouble they had, I'm pretty sure. Trouble complying with FFP for the year as opposed to actually having the funds.

Out of interest who would England fans want to win out of Croatia and Russia. Maybe im a conspiracy theorist but Croatia seems the safest option to me!

Definitely Croatia. They're in the exact same position as England, where the opportunity of a lifetime is there but the pressure could break them and has already made them a little shaky. Russia are already on a high and if they kick out Spain and Croatia then I think they're off to the final too.

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Didn't Lopetegui play a 433 with Isco on the wing? Why will there be a vacant CM spot with Casemiro, Modric and Kroos there?

Are you thinking Bale will be sold as well or just on the bench in favour of a new winger? I agree actually that Bale being replaced and Isco taking the LW position makes more sense, but I can't think of a RW who seems as suitable a signing as Hazard.

Looking at the current squad it seems to me like the best move would be to sign a top striker and have him flanked by Bale and Isco, but who is there that they could sign? Kane probably won't be attainable for them this Summer. Icardi?

Liverpool are lucky that Salah doesn't seem to want to leave.

Oh aye that's right about the CM's. They might invest anyway if the Isco gets a permanent place in the team and Kovacic moves on.

I think Dybala might be looking for a new club with the changearound that Ronaldo would need, and could swap between positions as needed. Icardi seems a bit more of a gamble.

Perez will surely face pressure to move for a huge £100m+ name if Ronaldo leaves, so I don't right believe they're not pursuing Mbappe or Neymar. They're just about the only players that could reasonably be called a Ronaldo replacement. Mbappe obviously stands out as the most exciting pick of the two at this moment - he's a future Real player whether he goes this year or in a few years time.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Definitely Croatia. They're in the exact same position as England, where the opportunity of a lifetime is there but the pressure could break them and has already made them a little shaky. Russia are already on a high and if they kick out Spain and Croatia then I think they're off to the final too.

I think if England play Russia they should make sure Kane is accompanied at all time and watch who they let in the kitchen! 

Just now, dentalplan said:

Oh aye that's right about the CM's. They might invest anyway if the Isco gets a permanent place in the team and Kovacic moves on.

I think Dybala might be looking for a new club with the changearound that Ronaldo would need, and could swap between positions as needed. Icardi seems a bit more of a gamble.

Perez will surely face pressure to move for a huge £100m+ name if Ronaldo leaves, so I don't right believe they're not pursuing Mbappe or Neymar. They're just about the only players that could reasonably be called a Ronaldo replacement. Mbappe obviously stands out as the most exciting pick of the two at this moment - he's a future Real player whether he goes this year or in a few years time.

Yeah I agree they'll be all in on Mbappe/Neymar but I don't think there's a chance PSG will sell either after one season.

I can't see them signing Dybala. Plays best behind the striker, not out wide or up front. Don't see any way to fit him in alongside their current players.

Think he'll be fine at Juve with Ronaldo, anyway. He'll play at number 10 with Ronaldo either up front or on the left, I'd assume. I also think it'd be stupid for Madrid to sign Ronaldo if it meant Dybala leaving. He's a perfect player for them to build around for the future.

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah I agree they'll be all in on Mbappe/Neymar but I don't think there's a chance PSG will sell either after one season.

I can't see them signing Dybala. Plays best behind the striker, not out wide or up front. Don't see any way to fit him in alongside their current players.

Think he'll be fine at Juve with Ronaldo, anyway. He'll play at number 10 with Ronaldo either up front or on the left, I'd assume. I also think it'd be stupid for Madrid to sign Ronaldo if it meant Dybala leaving. He's a perfect player for them to build around for the future.

They might have to move Dybala for the money. There are better destinations than Real but it just popped into my head with the circumstances. I agree it wouldn't be wise to get rid but they're not recouping on Higuain at this point.

I feel like either Neymar or Mbappe could force a move, as Neymar would be ecstatic to be the star at the best team in the world and Mbappe is a big Real fan. If they're not getting either, I just can't see Ronaldo actually going. 

9 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think if England play Russia they should make sure Kane is accompanied at all time and watch who they let in the kitchen! 

I wish they could've played one another in the final. It would be piss funny to have no major UK figures up to sitting in the box with Putin and Infantino so they have to work their way down the list to Michael Gove or someone.

23 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They might have to move Dybala for the money. There are better destinations than Real but it just popped into my head with the circumstances. I agree it wouldn't be wise to get rid but they're not recouping on Higuain at this point.

I feel like either Neymar or Mbappe could force a move, as Neymar would be ecstatic to be the star at the best team in the world and Mbappe is a big Real fan. If they're not getting either, I just can't see Ronaldo actually going. 

Yeah but I don't think Juve would sign a 33 year old Ronaldo if it meant they had to sell a 24 year old Dybala to raise the funds for it. Would be incredibly short sighted.

Out of the two I could maybe see Neymar doing it because he just seems the type to (along with his entourage). I also wouldn't be surprised if his move to PSG was part of a plan to eventually move to Madrid. I still don't expect Madrid to be able to sign him this Summer.

Edit: I think they could recoup on Higuain tbh. There have been rumours of him going to Chelsea recently and that doesn't seem too farfetched. They can also make big money on Alex Sandro, although they'd need to replace him seeing as Asamoah has left this Summer. Chelsea have been linked with Rugani too who'd bring in a decent fee. I really don't think they'll have to sell someone like Dybala.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

17 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Hazard probably the most realistic target? Would love that.

Can you not! Chelsea on the ropes as it is. Losing Hazard would be disastrous for us.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Fancy Uruguay to snuff the French out and Brazil to overcome Belgium reasonably comfortably.

Agree with this. Think Uruguay's strength in defence will prove difficult for France to break down.