Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Success doesn't determine how great a time is as a fan. It's the experience. Excitement, hope, unpredictability, and most of all, going to games and feeling the atmosphere. 

Given the forum, presumably everyone here is a live music fan. In the same way armchair footie watching is a fraction of the feel of going to a game. 

Totally agree although a bit of success would also be a bonus :-)

With our unusual lunchtime ko I was back in the pub (freezing) by 3pm on Saturday. Watched the Liverpool game, assume illegally, then Arsenal. Lots of my mates have stopped going over the years and in a way you can’t really blame them given the cost of going and the alternatives available. Shit kick off times and pricing don’t help but it’s all about tv now. 

51 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Totally agree although a bit of success would also be a bonus ?

With our unusual lunchtime ko I was back in the pub (freezing) by 3pm on Saturday. Watched the Liverpool game, assume illegally, then Arsenal. Lots of my mates have stopped going over the years and in a way you can’t really blame them given the cost of going and the alternatives available. Shit kick off times and pricing don’t help but it’s all about tv now. 

What are the prices at your level? You won't get much (if any) change from £20 in the national league.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

What are the prices at your level? You won't get much (if any) change from £20 in the national league.

Aye £17 for me and 8 for kids.

I take my 2 youngest and they have a season ticket for £20 which is great value. They’ll be too old for that next year so would be looking at £33 per Home game. A lot more for the away trips.

We stand on the terracing but think it’s only Ayr and Alloa that aren’t seated in our league.

16 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

£20 along the side, £18 behind the goal, at top of the table Orient 

Did you start going Orient after the move to the new stadium? 

I used to go Orient a while back when West ham were still at the Boleyn, and I remember there being a bit of worry that their move would lose Orient a big chunk of fans - would be funny if the opposite happens.

15 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Success doesn't determine how great a time is as a fan. It's the experience. Excitement, hope, unpredictability, and most of all, going to games and feeling the atmosphere. 

Given the forum, presumably everyone here is a live music fan. In the same way armchair footie watching is a fraction of the feel of going to a game. 

A fair point. Some of my best memories as an Albion fan are from back in the 90’s when we were skint, shit and the ground was falling apart. 

9 hours ago, mjsell said:

Did you start going Orient after the move to the new stadium? 

No. I used to go to Orient a lot in the old days. If I wasn’t doing an away game I’d pop over to Orient (they were always at home if we were away - back when football matches were played on a Saturday anyway...) I stopped going when that clown Hearn took over and looted the club for property.

I used to go Orient a while back when West ham were still at the Boleyn, and I remember there being a bit of worry that their move would lose Orient a big chunk of fans - would be funny if the opposite happens.

That was always going to be bollocks. They (well Hearn) always said that would be the case with no logical or justifiable reason. 

Sad really, the fans of both clubs used to have a close rapport - that’s gone now 

Edited by TheGayTent

54 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

A fair point. Some of my best memories as an Albion fan are from back in the 90’s when we were skint, shit and the ground was falling apart. 

Yep, although the hawthorns is one of the better grounds post Taylor Report, I preferred it when the away end was an open concrete terrace with no roof! 

8 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Yep, although the hawthorns is one of the better grounds post Taylor Report, I preferred it when the away end was an open concrete terrace with no roof! 

It's fair to say that the comfort of visiting supporters wasn't a concern back then.

I'm hoping that we'll revisit the safe standing proposal we made last year now that the government seems a little more open to the idea.

2 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Shocking. Latest report says they requested descent and shortly after disappeared from radar.

Horrible :( 

Edited by DareToDibble

5 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The trouble is if Bristol Rovers rediced to 5 pound a game, they probably make less than 25. These clubs rely on loyal fans overpaying.

Yeah, I know. It's why all the lower league clubs have upped their prices from that scale over the last 15 years. I just wonder how this'll impact the next generation of fans.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I've got a load of fond memories of the Hawthorns from the noughties in the yo-yo years. Uncles are baggies, parents don't give a shit about football, and I've lived down south since I was 8, so been there more than to SJP.

10 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

He has been pretty shit in all fairness.

Yep. Jardim didn't start the season well but I think they must be realising that they didn't know how great they had it! He was overachieving in Europe and developing quality youngsters which were consistently getting transferred to bigger teams. I thought he was a great manager and wanted Chelsea to go for him prior to Sarri. Interesting to see if he returns anyway!