Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

Just now, jyoung said:

United have definitely had the best selection over the last 10 / 15 years... Tevez, Rooney, Chicarito, RVP, Lukaku, Ibra, Berbatov?!

Probably yeah, particularly if you extend it to 15. They've had their share of failures though. Macheda instantly springs to mind, and Forlan being shit here before storming it elsewhere again. Not so many really big spend donkeys though. 

39 minutes ago, Dan R said:

Liverpool have some absolutely duds in recent years, with the likes of Balotelli, Borini, Lambert, Aspas (who has turned out decent now tbf). City have done ok but have had Aguero as their main striker for so long that they have only ever needed a back-up.

19 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think Liverpool are one of the worst. Firminho and suarez were great (salah of you count him as a striker), but they've had so many failures over the last 10 years. Man u have made 3 obvious hits in RVP, lukaku and ibra, but a bunch of duds as well. They might be the best though. 

There's a big difference in transfer success since Klopp came in though.

18 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Probably yeah, particularly if you extend it to 15. They've had their share of failures though. Macheda instantly springs to mind, and Forlan being shit here before storming it elsewhere again. Not so many really big spend donkeys though. 

Macheda was a youth team kid, not really sure he counts as a huge failure. Besides, if we're counting him then surely Rashford balances him out?

Also the big flops are the ones brought in for huge sums to play as the club's main striker - Carroll, Balotelli, Torres, Jovetic. I don't think you can or should count the likes of Lambert who were brought in for relatively low fees to act as back-up.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think Liverpool are one of the worst. Firminho and suarez were great (salah of you count him as a striker), but they've had so many failures over the last 10 years. 

They have, I'd forgotten some named above ... and yet Carroll and Balotelli were time-desperate buys, Lambert was bought as a fill-in, and Borini was a cheapish punt on a Chelsea-reject youngster (and who only stayed as long as he did cos he wouldn't budge). Unlike the other top clubs rejects were all they could trade in.

I'd say Benteke was by-far the worst as there was nothing panicked or punted about that, he was an out and out want.

Edited by eFestivals

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

They have, I'd forgotten some named above ... and yet Carroll and Balotelli were time-desperate buys, Lambert was bought as a fill-in, and Borini was a cheapish punt on a Chelsea-reject youngster (and who only stayed as long as he did cos he wouldn't budge). Unlike the other top clubs rejects were all they could trade in.

I'd say Benteke was by-far the worst as there was nothing panicked or punted about that, he was an out and out want.

Benteke was a classic case of buying a good player without any thought as to whether he'll actually fit into the system you want to play. Sad thing is that his Liverpool experience seems to have completely destroyed him, he was a monster at Villa. 

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Benteke was a classic case of buying a good player without any thought as to whether he'll actually fit into the system you want to play. Sad thing is that his Liverpool experience seems to have completely destroyed him, he was a monster at Villa. 

The Benteke deal was the epitome of what was wrong with the transfer committee. Rodgers wanted him for reason while the committee wanted Firmino, meaning both players struggled while in that system. Klopp seems respect the opinion of the scouts and stats teams which seems part of the recent improvement.

I forget how good Benteke actually was for Villa, tore us apart every time we played them. Hopefully gets back to his best at some point.

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's really weird, he became a 15/20 goal a season striker to 1/2 goal a season striker seemingly overnight 

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

You’ll have your Rafa dancing gif up here pronto when it goes diddies up. LFC haven’t replaced Phil.

Oh sure but going from being a basket case to a Champo League final and top of the league in 18 months. 

Im sure theres similar in the 2012/13 thread when Fergie was still at Utd compared to Moyesie 8 months later. Funny ol' game etc.

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Oh sure but going from being a basket case to a Champo League final and top of the league in 18 months. 

Im sure theres similar in the 2012/13 thread when Fergie was still at Utd compared to Moyesie 8 months later. Funny ol' game etc.

Everyone of note leaving does that to a team. Not anymore. Peeps on here suggested at similar time for Klopp to go and I laughed it off.

Coutinho's people are hatching an exit for him from Barca now. He could end up at Utd.

Scottish Cup weekend. Ayr away to Auchinleck in Ayrshire derby. Auchinleck always been a top team in the juniors. Great effort by them to get through to this stage. 4500 sell out and live on BBC.

Normally we are the underdogs looking to cause an upset so all a bit strange.

Lunchtime kick off so added bonus of a Saturday afternoon in the pub :-)

Ayr should have enough to win by a couple but a few folk thinking Auchinleck are overpriced at 14/1.