Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

11 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I thought it would be a tough encounter but we would just have a little too much for them. Pep seems to have come up with a plan for Liverpool and both games have been pretty similar.  I think City have been the better team over both games and should have won both games.

The league is not about being best on any given day though, it's all about consistently. 

I love how people are putting up lists of games and predicting when both teams should win and lose. It really does not work like that. United blew a 2 goal lead at home against Everton a few years ago that let City in to win the league. Liverpool slipped up against Palace and let City in to win it. It's only January, plenty of pit falls ahead for both teams. 

It's going to go down to the wire. 4 points is quite a handy little lead and I do not expect Liverpool to drop many points, never mind lose games. If City were 4 points ahead now, I would say Liverpool had no chance. Yet this City team are capable of going on now and winning every game.

It is finely poised. The bitter blue lurking deep inside says City will romp home and Liverpool have no chance. Yet if I take the blinkers off for a minute, you realise that Liverpool are quite easily the 2nd best team in the league, they do not have to play City again and are points ahead. They don't actually have to concern themselves with City. Carry on as they have been going and they will win the league.

Pretty fair assessment really, except last night was one of those games where a win for either team or a draw would've been fair. All three goals involved incredible pieces of skill, but it went City's way with the quality of their finishes. Both team's looked far ahead of the rest of the league in quality right now though imo. 

It's gonna come down to fine margins now. How Liverpool deal with the pressure being on, if they keep a 4-point gap or extend it, if there's any injuries, if Guardiola shifts priority to the UCL. Gonna be an interesting title race for sure.

22 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I thought it would be a tough encounter but we would just have a little too much for them. Pep seems to have come up with a plan for Liverpool and both games have been pretty similar.  I think City have been the better team over both games and should have won both games.

The league is not about being best on any given day though, it's all about consistently. 

I love how people are putting up lists of games and predicting when both teams should win and lose. It really does not work like that. United blew a 2 goal lead at home against Everton a few years ago that let City in to win the league. Liverpool slipped up against Palace and let City in to win it. It's only January, plenty of pit falls ahead for both teams. 

It's going to go down to the wire. 4 points is quite a handy little lead and I do not expect Liverpool to drop many points, never mind lose games. If City were 4 points ahead now, I would say Liverpool had no chance. Yet this City team are capable of going on now and winning every game.

It is finely poised. The bitter blue lurking deep inside says City will romp home and Liverpool have no chance. Yet if I take the blinkers off for a minute, you realise that Liverpool are quite easily the 2nd best team in the league, they do not have to play City again and are points ahead. They don't actually have to concern themselves with City. Carry on as they have been going and they will win the league.

Perfectly balanced and fair post, this.

The bit I've highlighted is what worries me. City are more than capable of going the rest of the season winning every game. Yesterday was just one game but I have a concern this could take the wind out of our sails and give City that extra boost. The main source of optimism and confidence for me and most LFC fans at the moment is Virgin Van Dijk. The man is an absolute rock and I don't think it's an exaggeration to say he is the best CB in the world on current form. I'm not the type to blame players, we lost as a team. However we do need another world class CB alongside him. Joe Gomes (not claiming he is anywhere near world class yet) seemed perfect alongside him, not sure the depth of our squad is enough in the defensive areas at the moment.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

love how people are putting up lists of games and predicting when both teams should win and lose. It really does not work like that. United blew a 2 goal lead at home against Everton a few years ago that let City in to win the league. Liverpool slipped up against Palace and let City in to win it. It's only J.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, Liverpool fell against Chelsea in '14. The Palace game was ultimately irrelevant and they slipped up because they were chasing a mad 8 goal turnaround in GD.

6 hours ago, lost said:

Last night though City were the better team not sure what Klopp is going on about the Kompany tackle. If that’s a straight red the game is finished. City should of also had a pen for the rugby tackle on Sterling in the box. City looking so much better with Fernandinho back but losing him for the congested Christmas period has probably set them back too much.

A penalty? Sterling turned, slipped grabbed hold of Robertson and they both fell over. Ref got that spot on. 

As for Kompany, I think it could have gone either way. It was a yellow card challenge to take him out, and he was high. So a bit fortunate as seen lesser tackles get it.

1 hour ago, strummer77 said:

A penalty? Sterling turned, slipped grabbed hold of Robertson and they both fell over. Ref got that spot on. 

As for Kompany, I think it could have gone either way. It was a yellow card challenge to take him out, and he was high. So a bit fortunate as seen lesser tackles get it.

I thought pen.. I was watching on NBC and Lee Dixon commenting said the same thing though I’d need to see it again and was quite surprised it hasn’t been mentioned since.

The Kompany thing is that 5 - 10 years ago it would of been a great challenge as he took the ball, now a days it seems to be treated as yellow due to the follow through. If that ever becomes red imo it ruins the game and limits defenders 

1 hour ago, lost said:

I thought pen.. I was watching on NBC and Lee Dixon commenting said the same thing though I’d need to see it again and was quite surprised it hasn’t been mentioned since.

The Kompany thing is that 5 - 10 years ago it would of been a great challenge as he took the ball, now a days it seems to be treated as yellow due to the follow through. If that ever becomes red imo it ruins the game and limits defenders 

I thought we'd got away with one for the penalty shout but to me it looks much more like Sterling trying to run straight at Robbo. I agree that the foul was a yellow, but the lack of consistency between games is infuriating 

3 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Now can we not discuss football and the best football weekend of the year? 

Superb performances from Newport, Oldham (where’s a certain poster?), and Barnet. 

Looking forward to Wolves v Liverpool later, and of course the 4th round draw. 

Enjoyed that Newport game more than any PL match I've seen this season.

Still remember when Mark Bosnich  did it to the spurs fans and then someone pointed out maybe it wasn’t the best idea due to their Jewish connection.

Think he hid in the bog on the coach home and phoned David Mellor on 606 to apologise.