Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Since when have city cared about money. Thought you lads were focussed on slave museums.

Since we became a self sufficient and forward thinking club. If City did not care about money then Sanchez, Fred and Jorgihno would now be playing for City. City are financially astute and extremely sensible in their purchases. 

Come on mate, no need to be so bitter. The season is over and your team has been rewarded for their effort this season. You can enjoy the summer and look forward to next season.

Now we can all come together and support England in the nations league, before heading down to Glastonbury.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think it would be complacent to think that because they lost one game in the league and won the champions league. It would only have taken a small change in luck and they could have dropped several more points in the league and not won the champions league. They were very lucky yesterday to play one of the weakest champions league finalists in recent history, that performance could have put them on the losing side against better.

I think pretty much every one of their midfielders is replaceable. Which isn't to say I would replace all, but I dont see additional competition as a bad thing.

Well that's what I mean by back up! Paying 50 millions just for back up isn't there way. Unless there is someone in particular you think that should drop?

They beat bayern and Barcelona on their way to the final with that midfield though!

Edited by zahidf

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Well that's what I mean by back up! Paying 50 millions just for back up isn't there way. Unless there is someone in particular you think that should drop?

They beat bayern and Barcelona on their way to the final with that midfield though!

They narrowly beat Barca, next time it may go the other way. In terms of who I would drop, would depend on the type of player they bring in, the training/preseason form of the alternatives. I don’t think any are irreplaceable.

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

good luck with that 

Come on man, whats up with you? I will get you a Sterling England top and we can sing world in motion together at the e fests meet, while drinking Guiness. I will even let you do the John Barnes rap bit.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

why not? They got very very close to city without those backups. :rolleyes: 

Will the same performances next season lead to the same results? What impressed me with City in the run in was the composure and control. Liverpool were way more erratic and those breaks may not go the same way.

It's a great season for Liverpool, but would be complacent to think they are the finished product.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

Will the same performances next season lead to the same results? What impressed me with City in the run in was the composure and control. Liverpool were way more erratic and those breaks may not go the same way.

It's a great season for Liverpool, but would be complacent to think they are the finished product.

City have been there and done that, so of course would have less emotion and more control.

Liverpool are going to be more erratic as it’s so long since going over the line in the league. It was more of a surprise they didn’t drop more points near the end of the season. 

21 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Alisson and Van Dijk both cost a hell of a lot of cash but on both counts it would be hard to argue that it was not money well spent. 

Shame the final was so poor after some of the games we saw this year and considering the potential both Liverpool and Spurs brought to the game wrt performance and style

Have to think the early goal played its roll it that, as well as maybe the extended time off to prepare for the final and a couple of first 11 choices that may not have been worthy, in hindsight??

I think the main thing was the heat to be honest. Playing a final in Madrid in June in 30 degrees after 3 weeks off wasn’t going to make for the best spectacle. 

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I'd say the more-erratic team was the one with the most swings between winning and losing.

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I'd say the more-erratic team was the one with the most swings between winning and losing.

I think it's mistake to focus on wins and losses, particularly in a league system.  When people talk about unbeaten runs they forget a draw is not much better than a loss, particularly in a high scoring league. When I look at the season as a whole I think City were far more composed.

2 hours ago, thetime said:

City have been there and done that, so of course would have less emotion and more control.

Liverpool are going to be more erratic as it’s so long since going over the line in the league. It was more of a surprise they didn’t drop more points near the end of the season. 

I think that's a simplistic way of looking at it. I think generally the control comes from the midfield and City have significantly better players in those positions.

30 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think that's a simplistic way of looking at it. I think generally the control comes from the midfield and City have significantly better players in those positions.

City really lacked an interceptor/tackler to break up the play when fernandinho was out injured. A DM will be top of their shopping list this summer considering he's 34 now. 

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I think it's mistake to focus on wins and losses, particularly in a league system.  When people talk about unbeaten runs they forget a draw is not much better than a loss, particularly in a high scoring league. When I look at the season as a whole I think City were far more composed.

city were the better team thru the season, yep - but Liverpool still didn't have the dips they had.