Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

18 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Alisson as well 

I don’t think Alisson has changed the team to the extent Van Dijk has. He is playing with a defence/team better than before. For example he’s only had to save something like 70 odd shots in the league.

10 minutes ago, thetime said:

I don’t think Alisson has changed the team to the extent Van Dijk has. He is playing with a defence/team better than before. For example he’s only had to save something like 70 odd shots in the league.

Some.super important shots though, like in the Barca games 

16 minutes ago, thetime said:

He managed not to throw the ball into his own net via a striker's legs last night - which definitely helped.

Alisson and Van Dijk both cost a hell of a lot of cash but on both counts it would be hard to argue that it was not money well spent. 

Shame the final was so poor after some of the games we saw this year and considering the potential both Liverpool and Spurs brought to the game wrt performance and style

Have to think the early goal played its roll it that, as well as maybe the extended time off to prepare for the final and a couple of first 11 choices that may not have been worthy, in hindsight??

Its great to see this Liverpool team get a deserved trophy. They have been a joy to watch and follow and I am chuffed for Klopp, especially considering his last 6 finals.

It will be interesting to see if they can again put the challenge up to City next season in the league, and if and how both teams will invest over the summer...

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Alisson and Van Dijk both cost a hell of a lot of cash but on both counts it would be hard to argue that it was not money well spent. 

Shame the final was so poor after some of the games we saw this year and considering the potential both Liverpool and Spurs brought to the game wrt performance and style

Have to think the early goal played its roll it that, as well as maybe the extended time off to prepare for the final and a couple of first 11 choices that may not have been worthy, in hindsight??

Its great to see this Liverpool team get a deserved trophy. They have been a joy to watch and follow and I am chuffed for Klopp, especially considering his last 6 finals.

It will be interesting to see if they can again put the challenge up to City next season in the league, and if and how both teams will invest over the summer...

Liverpool say they won't spend loads. Mainly back ups.

4 hours ago, zahidf said:

Oh yeah. Match wasn't exciting at all. 

I get why he kept Kane on: he plays badly but then randomly scores. Big call to lose that. Not sure it would have made much difference if he had. If anything, I thought Eriksen played worse.

I think Spurs would have been in a better position to win without Kane. However if you don't play him and lose (still most likely) in my view. You have a media saying you would have won (despite little evidence of him turning up in big matches) without him. You also potentially have an unhappy player and while I think he is a bit of a flat track bully, Spurs aren't going to get better.

37 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think that midfield still needs some work.

Who do you think needs replacing?

They could do with a creative player there but I think their first 11 is settled and pretty ace ( they lost 1 game in the league last season...).

Gomez, and the Ox will be back properly from injury as well, and I think Keita will be even better.

Edited by zahidf

58 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Well they won't got anywhere near City if they only buy back ups.

Genuine question - are City expected to spend big this summer again? 

Replacements for Kompany and Sané? 

I'm surprised you're not in for De Ligt? 

I don't think we (Liverpool) will spend big - few will leave (Moreno, Sturridge, Mignolet) - we do need some back up players. You'd hope the back up would be 1st team quality - that's partly key to City's success. We don't need wholesale changes as team is relatively young - a creative midfielder, full back, back up goalkeeper and possibly a forward (although I think Klopp will put his faith in Brewster).

Liverpool have one insanely well when you consider that they don't have a midfielder who can do much more than run around a lot. While I appreciate they complement the pressing style, and having a playmaker type might slow them down, remembering how awesome they were when they had Couninho behind that front three, it's tempting to think they should try and evolve a bit next season to try and catch City.

50 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Genuine question - are City expected to spend big this summer again? 

Replacements for Kompany and Sané? 

I'm surprised you're not in for De Ligt? 

I don't think we (Liverpool) will spend big - few will leave (Moreno, Sturridge, Mignolet) - we do need some back up players. You'd hope the back up would be 1st team quality - that's partly key to City's success. We don't need wholesale changes as team is relatively young - a creative midfielder, full back, back up goalkeeper and possibly a forward (although I think Klopp will put his faith in Brewster).

No I don't think we will. We need back up for Fernandinho and that is the priority. If Sane goes then obviously he will need replacing. Its all gossip and hearsay really but the current word seems to be Sane will sign a new deal.

There is no chance of De Ligt, City will not pay the huge wages he is rumoured to be after. They will not pay the fee Leicester want for Maguire either. Could see Fernandinho playing in defence and also Garcia getting more of a look in.

Lb is still a concern as Mendy can't be relied on. KDB will hopefully be fit next season.

Biggest rumour seems to be around Rodri from Athletico. 

It is hard as Liverpool will now find, trying to improve an already very good team. You could say Liverpool could do with more creative midfielders, but that could weaken their team. They don't play through the midfield, nor need their midfielders to be creative as such. Buying creative midfielders may upset the balance of the team and expose the defence more.

Both teams just need fine tuning rather that drastic surgery. Unfortunately that extra 1/2% which makes the difference costs an awful lot of money.

3 hours ago, zahidf said:

Who do you think needs replacing?

They could do with a creative player there but I think their first 11 is settled and pretty ace ( they lost 1 game in the league last season...).

Gomez, and the Ox will be back properly from injury as well, and I think Keita will be even better.

I think it would be complacent to think that because they lost one game in the league and won the champions league. It would only have taken a small change in luck and they could have dropped several more points in the league and not won the champions league. They were very lucky yesterday to play one of the weakest champions league finalists in recent history, that performance could have put them on the losing side against better.

I think pretty much every one of their midfielders is replaceable. Which isn't to say I would replace all, but I dont see additional competition as a bad thing.