Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

4 hours ago, jyoung said:

It's lesser cared about cup final day! To be fair, it being a London derby has added an extra bit of spice that has been missing throughout most of the comp. Not particularly confident; injuries to Rudiger, Kante, Loftus-Cheek and Hudson Odoi but when it's Arsenal and Chelsea it can always go either way. Hazard's last game so let's hope he goes out on a high.

I think we could see an exciting game. Both got teams got star players in attack but holes in defense. As an Arsenal fan, I'm worried to see how AMN copes with Hazard.

Biggest game for Arsenal for years, Champions League next season would be a massive boost and would be first European trophy for over 20 years. All the pressure is on us (I think we need the win more than Chelsea) and that could work both ways. Hopefully it spurs (not the best choice of words ?) us on to win it rather than us crumbling under the pressure.

8 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Very surprised by that second half. Great header by Giroud. Excellent defensive display. Cech Arsenal's best player. Thank you Hazard, cya!

Ozil chelsea's best player...

Hopefully his last game as well.

Edited by mjsell

What happened to Arsenal there? Was a very even game, Chelsea were just utterly clinical in that second half.

@jyoung how would you sum up your season now? 3rd place finish, league cup final and now Europa league winners. Surely all your fans would have accepted that as progress at the start of the season? Yet there seems a lot of negativity in regards to Sarri and the direction you's are heading. 

Where do you go from here and what direction would you like to go in next?

Arsenal, same shit, different season. That defence is abysmal. Ozil is a joke of a player. He is supposed to be the star man yet every time he needs to stand up, he chucks in a limp performance.

Edited by eastynh

10 minutes ago, eastynh said:

@jyoung how would you sum up your season now? 3rd place finish, league cup final and now Europa league winners. Surely all your fans would have accepted that as progress at the start of the season? Yet there seems a lot of negativity in regards to Sarri and the direction you's are heading. 

Where do you go from here and what direction would you like to go in next?

Good season for us. No two ways about it. You said it yourself: third in a two horse race, lost on pens in the LC final against the best English team I've ever seen and won the EL without a single loss. 

I really don't know what happens now. It's Chelsea. It's complicated. With Hazard leaving and the transfer ban, we will need to utilise a few of the academy grads / loan players next season. I believe Lampard would be more likely to do so but I want Sarri to stay. I think he's earned it. Lampard will be available in the future. Give him time and it will only be better for us when we do welcome him back.

The relationship between club and fans hasn't been great but hopefully the two can pull in the same direction whatever happens.

I'll enjoy the moment though because I think the next few seasons will be tough.

8 hours ago, jyoung said:

Cech Arsenal's best player.

hmmm. I'd like to see one of those goals again (the 2nd, I think).

From one of the replays they showed, it looked like he could have got it, but that he didn't bother to reach with his left arm - which was a long way short of being fully extended.

It might have been the camera angle. But it might not.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

hmmm. I'd like to see one of those goals again (the 2nd, I think).

From one of the replays they showed, it looked like he could have got it, but that he didn't bother to reach with his left arm - which was a long way short of being fully extended.

It might have been the camera angle. But it might not.

I thought this myself on first viewing but I think the reason he doesn’t fully extend is he realised the ball was already past him by the time he had dived.

16 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Well I have no doubt there would be more Liverpool or Man Utd fans, but I think that's down to quantity of fans and not quality.

I imagine there'd be more non-UK based fans, and maybe more neutral fans.

I do think plenty of Liverpool fans would go to massive lengths because there's a special affinity with European competitions. But I have no idea how other fanbases see these competitions.

There were zero direct flights, at all. Indirect prices rose greatly when qualification was confirmed. Thomas Cook wanted £975 each for a charter plane (could've taken off from 3 airports but wouldn't know til the evening before the final), bus to a holding area with "light refreshments", bus to stadium, after game held for 2 hours then bus back to airport. A day trip with zero freedom.

A grand for that?! And millionaire Danny has the cheeky to open his fat gob and make out that Chelsea and Arsenal fans couldn't be bothered?

Fuck off.

Edited by jyoung
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jyoung said:

There were zero direct flights, at all. Indirect prices rose greatly when qualification was confirmed. Thomas Cook wanted £975 each for a charter plane (could've taken off from 3 airports but wouldn't know til the evening before the final), bus to a holding area with "light refreshments", bus to stadium, after game held for 2 hours then bus back to airport. A day trip with zero freedom.

A grand for that?! And millionaire Danny has the cheeky to open his fat gob and make out that Chelsea and Arsenal fans couldn't be bothered?

Fuck off.

He's blatantly biased towards northern teams for whatever reason. Complete load of rubbish.

Only 12,000 UK based Arsenal and Chelsea fans were offered tickets anyway!

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Comfy Wrexham have been linked with a Leighton Mcintosh from Ayr, seems too random to be mentioned if nothing in it. Any thoughts on if this would be a decent signing?

You confused me here mate ?

The fella is with Airdrie Utd so cant help I’m afraid. Pretty low level, even lower than Ayr, so wouldn’t get too exited I’m sorry to say.

Our main man up front, Shankland, was supposedly going to Sunderland if they’d got up and our main man at the back, Rose, is off to Coventry.

Both leave for free as we can’t afford to give players long term contracts. Such is life, both cracking players.

12 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

You confused me here mate ?

The fella is with Airdrie Utd so cant help I’m afraid. Pretty low level, even lower than Ayr, so wouldn’t get too exited I’m sorry to say.

Our main man up front, Shankland, was supposedly going to Sunderland if they’d got up and our main man at the back, Rose, is off to Coventry.

Both leave for free as we can’t afford to give players long term contracts. Such is life, both cracking players.

Ah someone on the Wrexham messageboard said Ayr. Unfortunately as I have said in the past my experience with Scottish league players with us, has not left me with much excitement!