Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

Always liked Newcastle as a club and feel sorry for the fans with what they’ve gone through the last couple of years.

The best thing for them is if it’s sold then it probably means Rafa will stay and actually have some money to spend. He’s done a great job with basically no budget so will be great to see him spending some money. 

So Villa up. Probably a fair result. Remarkable run of form to take them from 13th into the playoffs and they were the better side today. Derby will be kicking themselves as they were defensively poor. Wonder what this will mean for Lampard. All eyes on Wednesday night.

8 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Considering how often this happens, I'm not going to believe any of it until I see a "club is sold" headline.

Not that this makes it official but it's just popped up on my phone via the Sky Sports app, too. You'd like to think they're a bit more credible. Maybe this time it could actually be happening.

29 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Not that this makes it official but it's just popped up on my phone via the Sky Sports app, too. You'd like to think they're a bit more credible. Maybe this time it could actually be happening.

Don't get my hopes up!

10 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I would argue that if you go down the football pyramid there are fans way more deserving of sympathy than Newcastle.

It's not top trumps of who deserves more sympathy though. We never ask for sympathy we simply just want what every other football fan wants and that's to challenge to win something. Even if that's just a domestic cup. At the moment we have not looked like winning anything for years. 

I think every Newcastle fan knows that we're not going to break into the big leagues any time soon. Even with a new owner we'd be looking more likely to be equivalent to Everton under Moshiri and just treading mid-table and sniping Europa League places.

But.... the likes of Swansea and Birmingham have won the League Cup in recent years. It'd be nice to think we could try and have a go at getting either a League Cup or Europa League in the next 15 years or so. We'd like to be a strong Prem club that has cup and occasional Europa runs, instead of another yo-yo also-ran.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I would argue that if you go down the football pyramid there are fans way more deserving of sympathy than Newcastle.

Why can't you sympathise with both? You could also go up the football pyramid (or up the league) and say the same, just for different reasons than simply the team's performance. 

52 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Why can't you sympathise with both? You could also go up the football pyramid (or up the league) and say the same, just for different reasons than simply the team's performance. 

It's just a little perspective, I think a lot of people are very much in the premiership bubble and don't know the true meaning of a bad owner.  There are clubs going bankrupt, clubs who have had grounds and training grounds taken off them.

I think if you did a poll Nationwide of footballs worst owners someone like Ashley could easily come top, he wouldn't come close to making my shortlist.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Interesting I heard a few weeks ago that last season 20+ players managed to get premiership moves after being relegated. I can't see many this year, probably a few Fulham players, but would anyone take a player from Cardiff or Huddersfield?

Everton have already taken Lossl as a reserve to Pickford. I'm a little surprised as I'd of said he was possibly the worst keeper in the prem. We were also linked with Mitrovic who I was surprised to find out is only 24, that chat seems to have moved onto welbeck sadly 

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

It's just a little perspective, I think a lot of people are very much in the premiership bubble and don't know the true meaning of a bad owner.  There are clubs going bankrupt, clubs who have had grounds and training grounds taken off them.

I think if you did a poll Nationwide of footballs worst owners someone like Ashley could easily come top, he wouldn't come close to making my shortlist.

I've said before that I don't think Ashley is worse than some of the ones others have had. Venky's at Blackburn comes to mind as particularly insane as one that took over a Prem club. I know there's a lot shittier in terms of clubs getting wiped out as well.

That doesn't mean he isn't shit.